General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else getting Condensation in their Harley LED Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011 | 09:56 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

i get condensation in everything, fuel guage, speedo, turn signals etc... you would think harley could somehow manage to stop this, must be the impossible problem no engineer or designer could possibly figure out, yet no other vehicle i've ever owned did this.

Old 06-03-2011 | 03:40 PM
Talldog
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Stopped in to the dealer today after a 3-hour ride to show them the Condensation issue.

Dealer was great, new part # Led Headlights and Aux Lights are on order under warranty.

Looks like it might take a while to get them, but that's ok. Really happy with the way the dealer handled this.

Old 06-03-2011 | 03:43 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

harley needs to basically take the speedo and lighting from pretty much any other vehicle on earth to figure out how they're keeping the condensation out of these parts. it can't be this hard...

Old 06-03-2011 | 04:16 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Cool

Glad to hear about the new LEDs getting back into production. My new headlamp has been on backorder for over 6 weeks.

Re: Condensation. Some of this is a function of the climate where you live. I've had it on various vehicles over the years. Notably on my Land Rover LR3. I have glass elements, so it really has been a livable problem.

Old 06-08-2011 | 10:57 AM
Romeo
Tourer

I have the same problem with my 5-3/4" H-D LED Headlamp installed in my FXDC. Starts to appear after 15 or 20 minutes of running, growing to nearly 3X the size seen in the pic. Never clears up regardless of how long it's been on. Shrinks down to the size shown 1-2 minutes after it's off, then completely disappears after about 20 minutes.

I'll be returning it under warranty.

Old 06-08-2011 | 06:53 PM
Talldog
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Romeo
I have the same problem with my 5-3/4" H-D LED Headlamp installed in my FXDC. Starts to appear after 15 or 20 minutes of running, growing to nearly 3X the size seen in the pic. Never clears up regardless of how long it's been on. Shrinks down to the size shown 1-2 minutes after it's off, then completely disappears after about 20 minutes.

I'll be returning it under warranty.

Make sure to bring the bike to your dealer so they can see the condensation before you remove them. Most likely the lights are on back order. New part # should have an "A" after it.

Old 03-10-2012 | 01:05 AM
05DynaFxDx
Intermediate

Bump.. this happened to my hd. Led as well and to 3 of my friemds. Our local hd where we bought them said there was no warranty and won't do anything

Old 03-27-2012 | 12:13 PM
mtom938
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 05DynaFxDx
Bump.. this happened to my hd. Led as well and to 3 of my friemds. Our local hd where we bought them said there was no warranty and won't do anything

05Dyna....how can that be? It seems nearly everyone else with this problem has received warranty satisfaction by going to rev A of this headlamp. Somethin's amiss here....

Old 04-16-2012 | 10:49 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

I just got a light from Ebay, and same thing happened after a short 15 minute ride !
What miffed me, is that now I see the condensations have created small dots in the inside, so this Light is sold to me after it was returned to it.
I contacted the seller, best case scenario is that I am down 100$ for shipping back and forth plus the Taxes I paid in Canada .

What is really strange is that the light worked fine even with fogging ! you can see this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqf7e...1&feature=plcp

Old 06-07-2014 | 03:31 PM
Jay2TheRescue
1st Gear

Just so everyone knows, The "A" revision isn't a fix... It just delays the fogging of the lens. I originally bought the LED unit when they were first released for the Dyna models. I was happy with it, but after a few months, I had the condensation problem. Harley exchanged it, and now my replacement light ("A" Revision) is now showing condensation on the lens after riding a few miles. Of course, I've had this replacement for a couple years, so there's no warranty left. As much as I love how bright the LED headlight is, I would have never spent $400 on it had I known that a couple years later it would need replacement. For $400 I was expecting the LED unit to outlast the bike.

I don't have the original light assembly anymore, so now I'm stuck buying a new one. I don't think I'll be buying the Harley light again.

Last edited by Jay2TheRescue; 06-07-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone else getting Condensation in their Harley LED Lights?