Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hail Storm

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:29 AM
SugsPa
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Hail Storm

Just wondering if anyone on here was part of the MC group that got caught in the "no-notice" hail storm outside of Asheville, NC on May the 13th. I was east bound on my way to Fayetteville, NC (FT Bragg) when it caught me and I had just passed a long line of riders heading west. Needless to say, I got beat up. Couldn't find an overpass to get under and had to pull over cause I was taking a whupping. And still got beat up. Fortunately, it didn't dent my ABS plastic or bust my F4 Customs shield. I wear a full face helmet, so my face and head was okay, but I got several bruises on arms, shoulders, chest and back. Never want to experience that again! Anyone else ever get caught in a hail storm?

SugsPa

Old 05-28-2011, 11:09 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

yep I sure did back in the later seventies between
Eastland and Carbon Texas on hiway six it beat
me half to death my face looked like raw hamberger
meat. I was wearing a 3/4 helmet with no sheild

Old 05-28-2011, 11:12 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No. I haven't missed predicting when we need to find shelter and wait on it to pass.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Yep, powerful thunderstorms lightning and golf ball sized hail on my way home from work Thursday. Was lucky enough to be passing through a town and pulled under a gas station canopy. Others were not so lucky. Some pretty banged up vehicles in the Northeast by Friday morning. I would have died if my one year old bike had been beat up like that! This year has been full off some of the craziest weather in a very long time.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:49 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

we had hail here in ohio the other night that was baseball/softball sized. that stuff would kill you pretty quick

Old 05-28-2011, 01:12 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,124 Likes on 1,029 Posts

ONCE, west of Sundance, Wyoming in '91! That was enough for me!

Old 05-28-2011, 06:03 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rode through there almost exactly one week later and the it was partly sunny and the temps were pushing 80.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Gustapo
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I got caught today, actually... Only pea sized, but that still smarts!

Old 05-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Last summer I was caught in some pea size hail that was covering the road in a hurry. That is some slick stuff! I had no cover so I just pulled on to a rural road and crawled along at about 30 until it let up. I was going to pull over, but it was so slick it was easier to just plod along slowly. At least the road was a straight one with no traffic. Riding through bees would be a good idea of how it felt. Glad it was small and not the big stuff.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Cabocarl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SugsPa
Just wondering if anyone on here was part of the MC group that got caught in the "no-notice" hail storm outside of Asheville, NC on May the 13th. I was east bound on my way to Fayetteville, NC (FT Bragg) when it caught me and I had just passed a long line of riders heading west. Needless to say, I got beat up. Couldn't find an overpass to get under and had to pull over cause I was taking a whupping. And still got beat up. Fortunately, it didn't dent my ABS plastic or bust my F4 Customs shield. I wear a full face helmet, so my face and head was okay, but I got several bruises on arms, shoulders, chest and back. Never want to experience that again! Anyone else ever get caught in a hail storm?

SugsPa
You will heal. The important question is; how is the bike?

Quick Reply: Hail Storm