General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hail Storm

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 11:49 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Not me. I listen to the weather reports. Storms which are capable of producing hail like that are easily spotted well before hand by Nexrad radar which is available on the net ( I have the site bookmarked) and also used by all TV stations.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:07 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got caught in some hail during bike week in Daytona in 08, very brief, and not big, but it still hurt.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:06 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Never had it myself but brother did some months ago. But this would be a nightmare with the damage it could cause. Always tell my wife, head to a drive thru car wash, back drive thru, fast food canopy or even a private persons open garage or carport.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:17 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Got caught once a couple of years ago. It hurt like hell until I got under a highway underpass. I was lucky to get in there when I did because all the cars and trucks started to fill the underpass and the cagers who couldn't get in were pretty pissed off that the highway was blocked and they were stuck out in the open. Better them than me.

Got home and found my car had over 300 dents. It was nasty.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:20 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I caught some small hail the Friday after that near the GA/NC state line. It hurt FAR worse than normal rain, so I'm guessing there might have been some small ice stone in there.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:12 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

A few times. The most memorable was way back in the early 70's in Minneapolis. I was rideing home from work in a slight drizzle when all of a sudden it was full on golf ball sized hail slamming down. This thing came up QUICK! I caught quite a few on the noggin and got pretty, uhh.... concerned, to say the least. I was going through a semi-populated area and spotted a house with an open garage door, headed toward it and drove into this strangers garage! Well sir, the door to the house flys open and this real elderly couple just stands there and looks at me with great big eyes. I said something like 'I'm sorry for bothering you' or something real clever along those lines. Well, unbeknownest to me at that time all the liquid dripping off my head wasn't rain water, a fair amount of it was blood from the gash above my right eye. (I still have the scar ) These folks were real nice, after their hearts started again, and gave me a band-aid and let me stay in their garage till it was just pouring out and not hailing. We all came out of the deal with a good story, which is all life is about, right?