Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shell's motorcycle fuel up policy.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:25 AM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Shell's motorcycle fuel up policy.....

Good morning, Riders.

Here's some information related to those who fill up their bikes while straddling them.......

Responses to questions is normally directed through to the customer service group. In this case, I am also an avid rider with more than three decades of riding so I thought I would respond directly to this inquiry.

While the station attendant was correct in requesting that the rider dismount their motorcycle before fuelling, his explanation of the reason for this was not entirely complete.

The reasons for asking riders to get off their bikes:

This reduces the riders exposure to breathing gasoline vapors by increasing the distance from the fill point

This reduces the possibility of the riders skin and clothing being exposed to fuel splash and overflows if they occur

Should a refueling fire start, the rider's ability to quickly separate themselves from the fire is improved if they are already off the motorcycle

If a fire forced the rider to jump off the bike, the risk of the motorcycle falling over and spreading the fire is greatly reduced

As you can well imagine, Shell being a global company also operates in many countries where motorcycles are used as the primary mode of motorized transport. This allows us to review incidents all over the world and apply best practices developed in other countries that may have more experience in a particular area. In this case the policy came about as a result of investigations into multiple incidents that were compounded by the individual remaining on the motorcycle while fuelling. In most cases the damages were relatively minor and related to fuel spills and tank overfills resulting in the customer who was straddling the motorcycle being splashed with gasoline. In more severe cases the fuel splash has reached hot engine parts resulting in fires and in a tragic case, the resulting fires caused fatalities when the rider jumped of the bike knocking it over with it's still open fuel tank and the resulting fuel splash exposed the rider, as well as other individuals in the vicinity with burning gasoline.

There is currently no provincial, state or national regulation requiring riders to dismount prior to fuelling, but Shell believes it is our corporate responsibility to ensure that we create as safe an environment as possible at our stations. We have not widely communicated to the motorcycling community our global policy, partially because we are not aware of any other major oil company adopting a similar policy. We do not wish to create the mistaken impression that Shell is not motorcycle friendly because of this policy. Our motorcycling community is still relatively small, so we have tried to manage this policy by asking station staff to reinforce this policy with customers in a respectful manner. We do have a pamphlet available at all our locations called "Shell Helps with Gasoline Safety" that does mention this subject.

I hope you find this explanation adequate and that you consider how Shell is doing this to improve rider safety when you make your choice of fuel supplier. I do understand the difficulties in topping up a fuel tank while the bike is on the side stand, but from a technical standpoint the tank should not be filled beyond 95% capacity to allow for expansion and the design of a modern Harley fuel tank is such that this limit should be able to be reached even when the motorcycle is on the side stand. The center stand is also an alternative.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:41 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,512 Likes on 5,067 Posts

Originally Posted by t059736
Good morning, Riders.

Here's some information related to those who fill up their bikes while straddling them.......

Responses to questions is normally directed through to the customer service group. In this case, I am also an avid rider with more than three decades of riding so I thought I would respond directly to this inquiry.

While the station attendant was correct in requesting that the rider dismount their motorcycle before fuelling, his explanation of the reason for this was not entirely complete.

The reasons for asking riders to get off their bikes:

This reduces the riders exposure to breathing gasoline vapors by increasing the distance from the fill point

This reduces the possibility of the riders skin and clothing being exposed to fuel splash and overflows if they occur

Should a refueling fire start, the rider's ability to quickly separate themselves from the fire is improved if they are already off the motorcycle

If a fire forced the rider to jump off the bike, the risk of the motorcycle falling over and spreading the fire is greatly reduced

As you can well imagine, Shell being a global company also operates in many countries where motorcycles are used as the primary mode of motorized transport. This allows us to review incidents all over the world and apply best practices developed in other countries that may have more experience in a particular area. In this case the policy came about as a result of investigations into multiple incidents that were compounded by the individual remaining on the motorcycle while fuelling. In most cases the damages were relatively minor and related to fuel spills and tank overfills resulting in the customer who was straddling the motorcycle being splashed with gasoline. In more severe cases the fuel splash has reached hot engine parts resulting in fires and in a tragic case, the resulting fires caused fatalities when the rider jumped of the bike knocking it over with it's still open fuel tank and the resulting fuel splash exposed the rider, as well as other individuals in the vicinity with burning gasoline.

There is currently no provincial, state or national regulation requiring riders to dismount prior to fuelling, but Shell believes it is our corporate responsibility to ensure that we create as safe an environment as possible at our stations. We have not widely communicated to the motorcycling community our global policy, partially because we are not aware of any other major oil company adopting a similar policy. We do not wish to create the mistaken impression that Shell is not motorcycle friendly because of this policy. Our motorcycling community is still relatively small, so we have tried to manage this policy by asking station staff to reinforce this policy with customers in a respectful manner. We do have a pamphlet available at all our locations called "Shell Helps with Gasoline Safety" that does mention this subject.

I hope you find this explanation adequate and that you consider how Shell is doing this to improve rider safety when you make your choice of fuel supplier. I do understand the difficulties in topping up a fuel tank while the bike is on the side stand, but from a technical standpoint the tank should not be filled beyond 95% capacity to allow for expansion and the design of a modern Harley fuel tank is such that this limit should be able to be reached even when the motorcycle is on the side stand. The center stand is also an alternative.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm calling bullshit on the fire.....unless you are lighting up a cigarette or somehow creating a spark, there is no way a fire is going to start from a hot engine. Has your lawnmower ever caught on fire after spilling fuel on that hot engine?

Old 05-26-2011, 06:42 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds reasonable to me. I usually get off the bike to stretch and de-hydrate, re-hydrate if you get my drift, and in general take a break. I'm generally a recreatiinal rider that likes to ride a couple of hours at a stretch and am not in that big a rush to not get off the bike.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:50 AM
ngshop
Road Master
Received 168 Likes on 73 Posts

You mean there are actually "strange" people who will straddle a motorcycle while re-fueling? I can only speak from my limited experience (40 plus yrs) none of the riders I have ridden with nor have I ever noticed anyone straddle their motorcycle while fueling. The only "reason" maybe to get extra fuel, which would be minimal measured in ounces. I also wonder if those people ride that far between fuel stops to warrant those few ounces.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:52 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have fueled up while sitting on the bike before. I have also farted while on the bike. Neither one are that big a deal but they both seem to get people's panties in a twist if they are done while somebody that is easily offended is near by.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:55 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm calling bullshit on the fire.....unless you are lighting up a cigarette or somehow creating a spark, there is no way a fire is going to start from a hot engine. Has your lawnmower ever caught on fire after spilling fuel on that hot engine?
Actually, yes I have. I got a cousin who as a young teenager was refuelling a hot lawnmower when the fuel flashed and, although he survived, has tremendous burn scars on his legs.

In another documented case, a woman rider at bike week in Daytona was hit by a car at an intersection on A1A. She was pinned under the bike, which was leaking fuel. Before witnesses could get to her and extract her the fuel ignited and she burned to death.

The other event I have direct knowledge off is a crew member on a SCCA sports car racing team. He was filling a RX-7 fuel cell on hot humid Florida day. The high-octane race gas vaporized enough in the open rear hatch area that a static spark ignited the fumes in a flash type burned him slightly on the face neck and hands.

So it can, and does, happen.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:11 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
I'm reminded of the story in the Original Wild Ones, about Boozefighters member Jim Cameron catching fire and being really badly burned and hospitalized because of fuel leaking out his tank when he used the wrong size gas cap.

The ignition temperature of gasoline is under 500F according to a quick google search. I believe your pipes can get somewhat hotter than that - discussion on this forum says the gas that goes through the exhaust gets about twice as hot as it needs to be to ignite gasoline and sometimes up to 3 times as hot.

Last edited by brenn; 05-26-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:13 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 337 Likes on 193 Posts

Look around the next time you're at and gas station. You will see a sign that says no smoking, turn off engine, no cell phones etc.
Then look around and count the people who aren't following the rules.

I have filled up a bike while still sitting on it. I have had gas gush out enough times when filling my Ultra that I don't want to be sitting on it. No fire yet.
I do know 2 guys who had gas spillage ignite when refilling hot lawn mowers, it can and does happen.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:18 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Huh? Never even occurred to me to not get off the bike when I refuel.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

It's comforting to hear that Shell is concerned about me safety. With fuel at over $4 per gallon I'm sure they don't want to lose any paying customers.

Quick Reply: Shell's motorcycle fuel up policy.....