General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shell's motorcycle fuel up policy.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 03:07 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 05-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by ftanner
He didn't say that cell phones WERE an ignition source. He said that they had INVESTIGATED them as ignition sources.

Maybe you need to do a little more research in English grammar too.

No actually, he clearly called it an ignition source, which it is not. I wasn't busting his ***** just pointing out that furthering an internet fallacy doesn't serve any purpose.

We in the fire service have studied ignition sources such as cell phones, static discharge from truck bed liners, plastic fuel cans etc etc etc.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:47 PM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You Know Harley tried to take care of this for us all with the V-Rod , I can't sit on my Bike to refuel as the Cap is under the seat .

I knew a guy that smoked while refueling ,back when I was little ,my fathers car and I always thought he was crazy.Some of them so called Filling fires were do to Faulty grounds on the Pumps and sparking when removed from a ground source .

There are many factors that go into and I for 1 will try to eliminate as many as I can , I have also been shocked bad during the winter getting in and out of the car so I always ground myself on the Door and keep contact until I reach the Pump with other hand .

I have also ran the car plenty of times while filling but I know it only takes that one time.

Shell is most likely saving it self from lawsuits and nothing more they really don't care as long as your paying so don't anyone think they have your safety in mind at all.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:03 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ev780
I am gonna go with hardly measureable!!! A quick check of the interweb estimates around 7 million motorcycles registered in the US. Figure a million get fuel every day. 1% would be 1000 fires per day. Not likely. Lets say there are ten fires per day. Probably not very likely either but for the sake of argument lets go with it. .001% chance of a fire every day. More likely 10 fires per year. I don't even want to use that many zeros. I'll feel pretty comfortable astradle my bike. Or get off of it who give a ****.

God I can't stop looking at this thread. Like a horrible car wreck!!!
Isn't even 1 event 1 too many?--

Me too, it's a train wreck.... I think I've had enough--over and out to all.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:08 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Always stay on the bike, probably always will. I don't fully squeeze the trigger on the pump handle and stop when it is at the tippy top.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:10 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Oh and I've been to plenty of Shell stations while fueling on the bike and have never been approached by attendants.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:17 PM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dawg
Oh and I've been to plenty of Shell stations while fueling on the bike and have never been approached by attendants.
Yea Around here the only way they are coming out is if the Building is on Fire lol

Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm calling bullshit on the fire.....unless you are lighting up a cigarette or somehow creating a spark, there is no way a fire is going to start from a hot engine. Has your lawnmower ever caught on fire after spilling fuel on that hot engine?
To bad this guy did not know that it was impossible for a fuel spill on hot exhaust would not ignite. I personally talked to this guy and he still had all the bandages on his arms and hands and around his neck from the flames. He said it happened so quick that he was already on fire before he could budge out of the seat. I always dismount before fueling. Its just common sense. Notice the logo on the pump. This happened in Sarasota, Fl Just before the north bridge to Siesta Key.

Last edited by Just Dave; 05-31-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:14 PM
John Sheridan
Novice

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Same here. When I was around 3 years old--found a bobby pin on the floor and stuck it in an electrical outlet. Really nasty burn. Started a whole career of sticking my stuff where it didn't belong.
Did the same thing in the 60's. I found mom's hairpin, saw an electrical socket and thought I could pretend it was a car and I was putting my key (the hairpin) into the ignition (the electrical socket). Never did that again.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:35 PM
John Sheridan
Novice

Originally Posted by Just Dave
To bad this guy did not know that it was impossible for a fuel spill on hot exhaust would not ignite. I personally talked to this guy and he still had all the bandages on his arms and hands and around his neck from the flames. He said it happened so quick that he was already on fire before he could budge out of the seat. I always dismount before fueling. Its just common sense. Notice the logo on the pump. This happened in Sarasota, Fl Just before the north bridge to Siesta Key.
That never happen to a Shovelhead.

Quick Reply: Shell's motorcycle fuel up policy.....