General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever Pull Out in Front of a Rider?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:03 AM
Hellletsride
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a careful driver/rider. But i made the mistake once on my bike. I pulled out in front of a 650 Yamaha in Sturgis. Fortunately nobody got hurt. Bikes were messed up. I still don't know where he came from. I still feel really bad that it happened but thank God i didn't hurt anyone.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:51 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RT750
Just another reason to weave at night if you are approaching a car waiting to pull out.
I usually do that in day time as well - makes people notice you because you don't blend in. learned it at MSF class where they learned it from a former student.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:54 AM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife is always bitchin about the drivers in this town...Well this past weekend we were doing our Riders Edge and after the first day of riding we were driving back to the dealership for the classroom (she was driving) and crossing over the interstate she was making a left turn across the service road and "tried to make it fit between a car and a bagger!

I stopped her and chewed her **** for just hearing in class how most accidents happen at intersections and to have your guard up for people turning left in front of you and YOU just tried it!!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:57 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't yet. The thought makes me cringe. I don't get too upset when someone starts to pull out in front of me unless they act like I was the one who did something wrong. Then I tend to get real shitty about it.

Last edited by Ratster; 05-26-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Big D Harley
Cruiser

I have never told anyone this but one time I did pull in front of a motorcyclist. I was 18 years old and driving a delivery truck. I was making a left hand turn and saw a car comming my way but seemed to be far enough back to make the turn. As I turned I saw a motorcycle that seemed to suddenly appear in front of me. He laid the cycle down and we did not collide. He did break his leg though. After the accident I realized what had happened. The car I saw was driven by his brother, both the car, motorcyle and his helmet were painted the same color. I saw the car but the motorcycle blended into the car and I did not see it. I am suprised that I ever got on a motorcycle after that, but I did but I have been super careful riding and driving since then. This was before headlights we required to be on all the time. Wonder if that would have made a difference in me seeing the cyclist. Still haunts me.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Clutch70
Road Master

Same old story here. I was 16 and out in the country cutting class on the back roads. I came up to a tee in the road, stopped looked both ways and started to pull out and go left. As I let off the brakes and began to punch the accelerator I happened to look right out of instinct and there he was. He had came hauling *** over a small hill in the road. A lot of brake screeching later he ditched in the corn field at low speed and wasn't seriously hurt. Thank God! Man was he pissed off! Unfortunately he turned out to be a Senior at my school!!! He was cutting class too!

Last edited by Clutch70; 05-26-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Robmitch49
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have I ever pulled out in front of a bike? Well in 1970 I drove approxiamately20,000 miles in South Viet Nam. I was driving a five ton tactical and trailer most of the time and carrying an M16 so I didn't get many fingers

Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by krusty1
Yup, and I don't feel a damn bit bad about it. The exit gate from work is on a blind curve to the right...that's why the speed limit on that road is 25 mph. Dangerous place to enter the road, but it is what it is....I crept out out of the gate looking right and left numerous times (like I always do). Looked clear to the right (the really blind side of the gate) so I pulled out left onto the road.....and suddenly saw (out of the corner of my eye) a damn crotch rocket doing at least 60 mph through the curve from the blind side...and I slammed on my brakes.

He, and his little butt-twitcher of a girl-friend, musta bout **** their pants, 'cause he had to go off road (between me and a retaining wall to avoid t-boning the side of my 4X4). Needless to say, he flipped me off, and I followed the ******** down the road, hoping he had the guts to stop so we could further discuss the situation. His little gal was slugging the **** out of his shoulder....and he's lucky he didn't stop. A couple of miles, and I cooled down enough to figure maybe mr dickweed had learned a valuable lesson....or perhaps he ended up being an organ donor at a later date.
Throw ina modulating headlight and excessive speed... yup, I pulled out and had one climbin up my azz... he wasn't there when I looked either but his problem was he couldn't see too well when I put my foot into the ole cummins... saying I sooted hime was probably being kind!! Funny though they want to blame you or me for their stupidity...

Old 05-27-2011, 01:58 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Never !...And I hope not.

Friend of mine did experience it once. He got scared the thought of killing an motorcyclist so close. Sold his bike, Didn't ride for 4 years then his temptation of riding Harleys again brought him back as a newly improved driver and rider. I'm glad to have him back these days.

Close call sucks,

Thorey

Old 05-27-2011, 02:58 AM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup! A few years ago while still married and living in Texas. Same old story, came to a stop sign, looked left, then right, straight into the setting sun, didn't see nothing, pulled out, and had this crotch rocket immediately pass me on the right shoulder, middle finger fully extended. Felt like a COMPLETE ***!!! Still do. A humbling experience to say the least. I think about it now every time I am in a similar experience, whether I have 2 wheels under me or 4.

Quick Reply: Ever Pull Out in Front of a Rider?