General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non DOT and no reflectors Brings ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Non DOT and no reflectors Brings ticket

After many years of riding with a novelty beanie helmet I had finally decided to travel to Burlington this weekend and purchase a DOT from the Burlington Harley Dealer. The new DOT's they are carrying are much lighter and stronger than those of the past and frankly since the state requires a helmet, and the DOT doesn't look all that much different than the non DOT these days, I figured It's probably wise to buy and wear the DOT version. That said, as I headed out to lunch on my bike this afternoon, I got pulled over in Stowe by the locals. Couldn't figure out what I had done wrong, but I quickly found out. Got a ticket for non compliant motorcycle head gear. Is that a case of deja vu or what? Worse yet, I have a DOT sticker on the helmet and its not a DOT approved helmet. Its been there for years, and I never paid any attention to it till today. So add to that, that my helmet does not contain 4 Square inches of reflective material, WHAT? and there you have it. A ticket for $125.00. I told the officer I had just decided this year, to head out and buy a new hlmet this weekend. If I returned with it next week would he give a warning instead so my insurance wouldn't go up as I just barely made application for a new policy? I can still hear his laugh ringing in my ears. Not only that, but he said that I was lucky that he was not having my bike towed? Well, I suppose it was worth a shot. My own damn fault I guess. A warning to all traveling through Stowe, VT. your helmet has to Fkin glow (4 square inches of reflective material) otherwise.....Dawg, if you read this are you guys ticketing down south for this also? Something else I'm wondering is about the reflective material. The DOT helmets being sold at the dealers are not reflectorized?

Last edited by Rickr01; 05-25-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:01 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

does anyone even sell a helmet with that much reflective on it?

you weren't just having an acid flashback or something?

Old 05-25-2011, 02:01 PM
winchcable
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's BS. Too many laws and rules these days. Didn't we tell the British to **** off because of too many rules? Now our government is doing the same thing.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cut lightning bolts out of reflective tape and put it on my helmet in the early 70s.
Never heard of reflective tape being required on a helmet.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:05 PM
JBourquin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NJ Law:
New Jersey Helmet Law - P.L. 39:3-76.7:
No person shall operate or ride upon a motorcycle unless he wears a securely fitted protective helmet of a size proper for that person and of a type approved by the federal DOT. Such a helmet must be equipped with either a neck or chin strap and be reflectorized on both sides.
NY Motorcycle License Manual:

All motorcycle operators and passengers must wear approved motorcycle helmets as defined by USDOT federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS 218). To improve the motorcyclist's visibility, we recommend that helmets have at least four square inches of reflective material on both sides.
Notice the "recommend"? at least it's not law there.

Last edited by JBourquin; 05-25-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

"Reflectorized"? What a joke.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:26 PM
JBourquin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know, my spell check even picked it out...

Old 05-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
does anyone even sell a helmet with that much reflective on it?

you weren't just having an acid flashback or something?

The acid would have been cheaper than that ticket and whats going to happen to my brand new insurance policy! I just submitted the application for the new policy, no tickets.

Last edited by Rickr01; 05-25-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:27 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,339 Likes on 3,186 Posts

Don't the cagers have to see us first? What good is the reflective tape if they're preoccupied doing all the other crap they're doing, And not watching the road?

Old 05-25-2011, 02:29 PM
MidnightFLHX11
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

No reflection on my helmet in pa.

Only reflector law I know of here is that you need a red one on the back of the motorcycle. I don't have that either.

Quick Reply: Non DOT and no reflectors Brings ticket