General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non DOT and no reflectors Brings ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I guess the point is, the law is the law and I broke the law. Break it and risk the consequences. States and municipalities are hard up for money right now. Anything they can make stick that may have been overlooked in the past, will probably be enforced now. After this weekend, I'll ride with a new DOT. I am contemplating going to court with the new helmet in hand. I'll admit to being wrong and ask for some leniency on the reflective portion of the fine to help finance my seeing the error of my ways. ? Got nothing to lose.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
Here it does?

Motorcycle helmet law:
§ 1256. Motorcycles-Headgear

No person may operate or ride upon a motorcycle upon a highway unless he wears upon his head protective headgear reflectorized in part and of a type approved by the commissioner. The headgear shall be equipped with either a neck or chin strap. (Added 1967, No. 264 (Adj. Sess.), § 1.)

Good find but have no idea where you got it. Does it specify a required area of material in No. 264 ?

Old 05-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
Good find but have no idea where you got it. Does it specify a required area of material in No. 264 ?
Nope, but my Brother found where it does. I'll try to get a hold of that info tonight.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member

I guess the point is, the law is the law and I broke the law. Break it and risk the consequences. States and municipalities are hard up for money right now. Anything they can make stick that may have been overlooked in the past, will probably be enforced now. After this weekend, I'll ride with a new DOT. I am contemplating going to court with the new helmet in hand. I'll admit to being wrong and ask for some leniency on the reflective portion of the fine to help finance my seeing the error of my ways. ? Got nothing to lose.
Why not. Are DOT stickers sometimes black lettering on reflective backgrounds?

Old 05-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member

Nope, but my Brother found where it does. I'll try to get a hold of that info tonight.
Nothing like burying violations so deep in code that only the locals know of it.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:50 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to Japan, eat a few burgers with some of that radioactive beef. Come back, YOU will glow in the dark and maybe that will work better than the reflective helmet

Old 05-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
Why not. Are DOT stickers sometimes black lettering on reflective backgrounds?
Yeah, but it isn't quite 4 square inches...I picked up that bogus sticker 15 friggin years ago, when I wasn't quite the model citizen that I am today. Needed it to travel across the border....I guess I should clarify ....To vacation across the border. Wife has dual citizenship...

Last edited by Rickr01; 05-25-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:39 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

From time to time someone posts that they are going to take their reflectors off. All that had have posted say they never had a problem with the police on that issue.

Well now with more emphasis on revenue and the targeted motorcycle stops only, it looks like we better get the reflectors back on and dumb reflectors on the helmet.

This is the first I ever heard of the reflectors needed on helmets. I would think that if it is not required by the feds and I ride through a state that requires it I would be okay.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:51 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys got to be shittin me! Is this the same bunch of guys that say "obey the law and you will have no problem" The same guys who would rather wear that helmet because it is safe? Who cares what you look like, you are safe! So you look like a candy cane bobble head going down the road. You are safe! Just put the dame reflective tape on your perty helmet and obey whatever big brother says.

Detect a little bit of sarcasm here? Now you don't like the helmet law because it has something that you do not like. Maybe next year they will make us wear striped reflective clothing so they can see us better. but hey were not giving up any rights, were just being safe!

Old 05-25-2011, 05:01 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Show up in court with the legal helmet and bitch that the cop was jerking you around as there is nothing wrong with your helmet.

Quick Reply: Non DOT and no reflectors Brings ticket