General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non DOT and no reflectors Brings ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a croc, what will they do next? Require reflectorized jackets and pants?
Jeez Louise, enough already!

Old 05-25-2011, 02:33 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
The acid would have been cheaper than that ticket and whats going to happen to my brand new insurance policy! I just submitted the application for the new policy, no tickets.
shouldn't do anything to your insurance

Old 05-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Stash905
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBourquin
NJ Law:

NY Motorcycle License Manual:

Notice the "recommend"? at least it's not law there.
Hmm, that's strange. Used to be required in NYS.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:53 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,031 Likes on 17,923 Posts

And you guys make fun of the west coast ? I'm laughing my *** off here even we aren't that **** retentive .

Old 05-25-2011, 02:55 PM
JBourquin
Road Master

Originally Posted by Stash905
Hmm, that's strange. Used to be required in NYS.
I've been trying to find the actual law, all I could find so far was that excerpt from the license manual.

Edit:
Found it, says nothing about reflective helmets.

Paragraph 6:
Vehicle & Traffic Law § 381

Section 571.218 of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards

Last edited by JBourquin; 05-25-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:12 PM
48FLpan
Intermediate

Not sure if its all military installations, but on Redstone Arsenal, you have to have proof of competing a rider safety course, a helmet, protective eye wear, high-visibility reflective vest (read bright green or hunter orange), long pants, long sleeves, gloves, and boots. They might even require full leathers now, haven't kept up, I went to work off base 5 years ago so don't know, but will be moving back in a couple months. Some of it is common sense or state law, but I don't want to wear long sleeves/leathers when its 95 degrees. No thanks.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Vermont Helmet law

"A person may not operate or ride upon a motorcycle upon a highway unless he or she properly wears protective headgear of a type that conforms to the federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards contained in 49 C.F.R. part 571.218 and any amendment or addition to the regulations that may be adopted by the U.S. Secretary of Transportation."

Does not say anything about reflective material. NOTE: Any amendments or additions that MAY be adopted by the US Sec of Transport. NOT LOCAL CODE!!!!!!! I find nothing in the US Sec of Trans re materials for helmets.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've realized that chances are if you fight a traffic ticket, you'll either win or they'll lower the penalty... unless you're a total dick in court. Half the time the cops don't show up, and when they do they will usually accept some kind of deal so they can get back to their 'important work'.

Does a helmet ticket really affect insurance? It's not a speeding ticket or an accident, so I can't see it costing more for insurance.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
Vermont Helmet law

"A person may not operate or ride upon a motorcycle upon a highway unless he or she properly wears protective headgear of a type that conforms to the federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards contained in 49 C.F.R. part 571.218 and any amendment or addition to the regulations that may be adopted by the U.S. Secretary of Transportation."

Does not say anything about reflective material. NOTE: Any amendments or additions that MAY be adopted by the US Sec of Transport. NOT LOCAL CODE!!!!!!! I find nothing in the US Sec of Trans re materials for helmets.

Here it does?

Motorcycle helmet law:
§ 1256. Motorcycles-Headgear

No person may operate or ride upon a motorcycle upon a highway unless he wears upon his head protective headgear reflectorized in part and of a type approved by the commissioner. The headgear shall be equipped with either a neck or chin strap. (Added 1967, No. 264 (Adj. Sess.), § 1.)

Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM
JBourquin
Road Master

Originally Posted by 48FLpan
Not sure if its all military installations, but on Redstone Arsenal, you have to have proof of competing a rider safety course, a helmet, protective eye wear, high-visibility reflective vest (read bright green or hunter orange), long pants, long sleeves, gloves, and boots. They might even require full leathers now, haven't kept up, I went to work off base 5 years ago so don't know, but will be moving back in a couple months. Some of it is common sense or state law, but I don't want to wear long sleeves/leathers when its 95 degrees. No thanks.
I believe that's all military bases. I know my base is trying to make it so that you can no longer wear only long sleeve shirts, they're trying to make "Hard Jackets" a mandatory item.

Quick Reply: Non DOT and no reflectors Brings ticket