General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non DOT and no reflectors Brings ticket

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Mississippi Birdman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if firefighter616 was being serious or sarcastic. But seriously, I'm trying to figure this out myself...Think like a liberal. Let's see...(presumably at night) I didn't see your taillight. I didn't see your headlight. I didn't see any light shining off your chrome. Hell, I didn't even see you or your bike. But, I saw your reflectorized helmet, and I put down my cell phone and didn't run your *** over. Another save by a reflectorized helmet. Thank you Vermont, I can live to eat Ben and Jerrys another day.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:18 AM
Vins
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
Vermont Helmet law

"A person may not operate or ride upon a motorcycle upon a highway unless he or she properly wears protective headgear of a type that conforms to the federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards contained in 49 C.F.R. part 571.218 and any amendment or addition to the regulations that may be adopted by the U.S. Secretary of Transportation."

Does not say anything about reflective material. NOTE: Any amendments or additions that MAY be adopted by the US Sec of Transport. NOT LOCAL CODE!!!!!!! I find nothing in the US Sec of Trans re materials for helmets.
Hire a lawyer and fight it, or just show up to contest it. Come armed with a copy of the traffic code. I'd even bring the helmet and show it to the judge. I'm sure the DOT sticker was on it when you bought it ;o) Or bring the new one. Not like they'll remember. Most cops don't even know traffic laws anymore than most civilians. They write tickets and most folks just pay them. Especially motorcycle laws.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:46 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
The acid would have been cheaper than that ticket and whats going to happen to my brand new insurance policy! I just submitted the application for the new policy, no tickets.
I wouldn't worry. At the time of application, the information you submitted was correct.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:01 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by winchcable
That's BS. Too many laws and rules these days. Didn't we tell the British to **** off because of too many rules? Now our government is doing the same thing.
yup, total BS. Honestly it really all depends on the cop, and also on the state ur in. If its a real biker friendly state things are much easier...

Old 07-14-2011, 07:40 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

****!!! I pulled all the warning tags off of all my pillows....are the mattress police gonna get me?

Old 07-14-2011, 08:38 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ABATE. they have been fighting laws like this for years and have successfully had them repealed in strongly supported states....
we have even had our vehicle taxes reduced for motorcycles here from what was classified as a "luxury" tax.
Myrtle Beach is motor cycle friendly again and law enforcement cant seize all funds and proceeds from poker runs anymore because of a grey area that was just re written.
you cant fight all these crazy laws alone so you have to have a large advocate group doing it for you....thats why I strongly support ABATE.
thank God I still have the freedom to decide what to wear when I ride.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:03 AM
BearNVa
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call this Law Firm they are in VA but might be able to give you pointers... excellent people and fight for motorcyclist rights... http://www.motorcyclevirginia.com/home.aspx

They helped get my *** out of some crap last year...

Old 07-14-2011, 09:05 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMojo
Wow that is ridiculous. Should I sleep in reflective pajamas in case a fireman needs to find me in my house???
Don't shoot the messenger, it was told to me during one of the classes I've had to take..... Instructor could be wrong

Originally Posted by Mississippi Birdman
I don't know if firefighter616 was being serious or sarcastic. But seriously, I'm trying to figure this out myself...Think like a liberal. Let's see...(presumably at night) I didn't see your taillight. I didn't see your headlight. I didn't see any light shining off your chrome. Hell, I didn't even see you or your bike. But, I saw your reflectorized helmet, and I put down my cell phone and didn't run your *** over. Another save by a reflectorized helmet. Thank you Vermont, I can live to eat Ben and Jerrys another day.
Serious not sarcastic
It does make a bit of sense to see something reflected back at you while doing an S&R while at an accident.............. I live in an extremely rural area, no street lights. Black as Hades.