General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat on my Rocker C and stranded on the Interstate.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:17 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LACOUNTRYHICK
It's not a bribe when you use to date the owner's daughter and his nephew was driving the truck.

Now that is funny..............and Yea it kinda does, but so what, it's a Kountry thing. Glade it worked out for you, I know that area can be hectic to drive at times.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:28 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/bribery

In my industry anything over the value of $20.00, even if given of free will, is considered a bribe. There is no room for misinterpretation. Annually I have to re-read the corporate policy and sign an acknowledgement.

I've worked for 3 different companies that had virtually the same policy.

Receiving a free tow would be a clear violation.

Punishment is swift and likely will involve termination.

But I work in private industry not the government. I had always assumed people on the taxpayers' payroll would have to abide by the same rules.

As the definition you linked says:
The offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting of something of value for the purpose of influencing the action of an official in the discharge of his or her public or legal duties.

The expectation of a particular voluntary action in return is what makes the difference between a bribe and a private demonstration of goodwill.
Strange the private companies even have a "bribery" police and that 3 of them don't seem to understand the definition any better than you. As I said, and your definition reinforced, he described a gratuity, not a bribe. Gratuities may or may not violate a department policy or state law, whereas bribery is illegal everywhere and under federal law (for government employees).

Old 05-26-2011, 05:44 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

This used to be called professional courtesy, and was cool. Doctors used to do it for each other. Exam fees were inexpensive. Doctors made house calls. Now we have insurance companies, government bureaucracies, congress, lawyers, HR departments all leeching off the boots on the ground, telling us it is illegal if someone sends us a box of chocolates as a Christmas present. This is called progress at the conventions at expensive resorts that the regulators go to, that I can't afford anymore. So OP don’t feel guilty because someone did something nice for you.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:51 AM
wrestleantares
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
As the definition you linked says:

Strange the private companies even have a "bribery" police and that 3 of them don't seem to understand the definition any better than you. As I said, and your definition reinforced, he described a gratuity, not a bribe. Gratuities may or may not violate a department policy or state law, whereas bribery is illegal everywhere and under federal law (for government employees).

It's a fine line, IMO. It certainly depends upon motivation that is not defined here. The OP calls it a favor, but if it is a you wash my back, I'll wash yours favor (by calling HIS service more when he is on the job) it's a bribe. The OP does not say that, but then again he did not say that was not the case.

I think the leap to assume bribery was a bit much but not completely out of the blue.

I work for the government as well, and our limit for gifts is $20.00. If the tow company was one we used and I accepted a free tow I probably would be in trouble.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:12 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Brenn,

Private industry uses the term "conflict" not bribe. Anything of value over $20 creates a conflict and a potential quid-pro-quo. (intentional or not)

In my industry I have to remain above reproach. I had to turn down the gift of a pen from a friend once because my company did business with his. As others have said, if you don't follow the letter of the law, termination is on the horizon. The point of the rules are to prevent hitting a slippery slope or allowing employees to rationalize their actions in the matter. I've lived with these rules for 35 years now so they are second nature to me. And I expect my employees to take them as seriously as I do.

It appears you don't draw a private paycheck and haven't been in private industry. Complaince agreements like the one I am required to sign are common as others have pointed out also.

It would seem however, a Highway patrolman would be held to even higher standards than required of me. At least I always assumed so.

Last edited by Jonesee; 05-26-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:47 AM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait...are yall seriously concerned that the guy got a free tow?

Old 05-26-2011, 08:52 AM
LACOUNTRYHICK
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, so I really didn't intend for this to turn into a philisophical debate. I was only posting about my flat tire experience. One thing is for sure however, HD riders seem to incorporate some of the most professional and well educated riders throughout its ranks. Thnaks to everyone for posting and I respect each of your opinions. Please be safe out there.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:07 AM
DMacLeod
Road Captain

Glad ya made it to the shoulder safe and didn't dump. I carry one of these. Haven't had to use it. Reading the back it seems I need to get a couple of extra co2 cartridges. Needs 4 to inflate a motorcycle tire up to 32#s. (kit only comes with 3.

I've had 2 flats while riding in the last 30+ years and know how it feels pucker factorwise.

Attached Thumbnails Flat on my Rocker C and stranded on the Interstate.-flatkit.jpg  
Old 05-26-2011, 09:08 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LACOUNTRYHICK
One thing is for sure however, HD riders seem to incorporate some of the most professional and well educated riders throughout its ranks.
what forum are they in?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master

Originally Posted by YOURADHERE
Wait...are yall seriously concerned that the guy got a free tow?
My thoughts as well. Good thing his bike is reflectorized, or he'd be in real trouble with the forum police.

Quick Reply: Flat on my Rocker C and stranded on the Interstate.