General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Walmart and Mobil 1 15w-50 availability?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 04:27 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
I saw the Mobil 1 15-50 at Advanced a couple of months ago. Mobil had re-branded it as "Racing Oil". It was like 8 bucks a Qt. Bastards!
That is about what the price for 20W50 Vtwin Mobil 1n at advance has always been around here For those who use dino in their bikes. Advance has the Valvoline 20W50 for 4 cycle motorcycles for 4.69 a quart 2 bucks cheaper than HD oil. Valvoline does not make a synthetic for motorcycle application. They say that on their website.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:52 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
I saw the Mobil 1 15-50 at Advanced a couple of months ago. Mobil had re-branded it as "Racing Oil". It was like 8 bucks a Qt. Bastards!
the15-50 is racing oil,the mobil oil for your bike is 20-50 vtwin oil they havnt rebranded it same as always

Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RHillbilly
the15-50 is racing oil,the mobil oil for your bike is 20-50 vtwin oil they havnt rebranded it same as always
There is also 10W40 called Mobile 1 4t Racing oil that is meant for motorcycles.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:46 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by vet767
Are we talking automobile oil or cycle oil here. I checked on the Mobil1 site and only find two oils that are "suitable" for 4 cycle mc engine a 10W40 racing oil and a 20W50 . I am under the impression that regular oil, suitable for autos is not suitable for bikes. Even my owners manuals state this and offer that certain oils, suitable for some diesel applications may be substituted if necessary. But to change over asap.
Myself and most of the guys I ride with have used the Mobil 1 15W50 in our Big Twins for longer than I care to remember. Many of the bikes are very high mileage and have used the synthetic 15W50 since day one.

In total I'd hate to try to calculate how many hundreds of thousands of miles we've put on Harley's running Mobil 1 15W50 without having any type of oil related problem, and that is running in the lower midwest extreme conditions (Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, etc.) where temperatures over 100 degrees in the summer are normal.

Harley engines aren't very complicated and bike owners worry much more than necessary about the type of oil being used. Change your oil and filter at resonable intervals and you don't need to worry about using the latest super-duper media hyped high dollar fluids.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:50 PM
99superglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran Mobil 1 15/50 synth in my old bikes engine for 6 years and used it on the wife's Sporty also with no probs. I changed cams and shoes at around 34k and the shoes weren't even half worn. I looked in 2 different Malwarts for it recently for changing the oil in my new bike but didn't find any, not even quarts of it. I wish they still had it too. I use to buy a 5 qt. jug plus an extra quart bottle and be able to change the oil in both bikes for about $27. I ended up splurging on the M1 v-twin stuff but would definetly use the 15/50 in the future if I find some.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:50 PM
foxtrot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just switched to Rotilla 15-40 its good oil, $13.24/gal @ wallyworld. Wont buy the stealer oil.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:59 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
Myself and most of the guys I ride with have used the Mobil 1 15W50 in our Big Twins for longer than I care to remember. Many of the bikes are very high mileage and have used the synthetic 15W50 since day one.

In total I'd hate to try to calculate how many hundreds of thousands of miles we've put on Harley's running Mobil 1 15W50 without having any type of oil related problem, and that is running in the lower midwest extreme conditions (Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, etc.) where temperatures over 100 degrees in the summer are normal.

Harley engines aren't very complicated and bike owners worry much more than necessary about the type of oil being used. Change your oil and filter at resonable intervals and you don't need to worry about using the latest super-duper media hyped high dollar fluids.

Ditto here, nothing wrong with the M1 15/50 ... it's good stuff.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:22 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member

I do use the mobil one gear lube in the tranny and tho I don't doubt your word think I will continue with the Valvoline 20W50 4cycle MC oil. Gives me peace of mind knowing it meets the specs the MoCo gives for my bikes.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:37 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

"the15-50 is racing oil,the mobil oil for your bike is 20-50 vtwin oil they havnt rebranded it same as always "

Hey RHillbilly, look at OldFenderGuys pics, that 15w 50 is not labeled as racing oil. That's what we have been looking for.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:35 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

+1.......88k miles on my Fatboy and about 65k of them is on Mobil 1 15W50. Not enough difference in the additive package vs. their 20W50 V- Twin packaged oil to justify the cost difference. I run the same as above, except for Pennzoil 10W40 in the primary.

Quick Reply: Walmart and Mobil 1 15w-50 availability?