General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

11 streetglide a rougher ride to me

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:41 PM
SG RIDER
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 11 streetglide a rougher ride to me

i own a 2005 road king to that im selling my new 11 street glide rides alot rougher than my road king thought the ride would be comparable seems to feel every little bump in the road and i have my air shock adjusted right never owened a new bike will it smoothen out or is it how they ride thought they had the same frame as the electras or do they ride rough too

Old 05-24-2011, 12:47 PM
TheSinistral
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 1200 miles on my '11 Road Glide Custom and it will loosen teeth on a pot hole. I am seriously considering Ohlin's shocks as my first upgrade. It's that bad..

-Sin

Old 05-24-2011, 12:58 PM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I was looking at trading my 04 Ultra in on a 11 until I test rode one. That was as rough a ride as I have spent on a bike in a long time.

Stayed with the 04 due to that.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget the SG's have shorter shocks.

Shorter shocks = less shock travel = a ride that is compromised somewhat.

Just add new shocks or an air ride to all the other crap you plan on changing anyway and you will be fine.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:32 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,214 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Primo
Don't forget the SG's have shorter shocks.

Shorter shocks = less shock travel = a ride that is compromised somewhat.

Just add new shocks or an air ride to all the other crap you plan on changing anyway and you will be fine.
+1

Ride a new, RK, Ultra or EG, you will probably find the ride much better than your 05.

If so, pick up a set of 13" shocks and you're set.

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Twillis
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran into the same thing when I bought my '07 Road King Custom. In similar fashion as the Street Glide, the shocks were 1" shorter. I bought some Road King rear air shocks off of ebay, and installed them. What a difference! So, for less than $100, you should be able to do the same to your SG.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,874 Likes on 979 Posts

Originally Posted by SG RIDER
i own a 2005 road king to that im selling my new 11 street glide rides alot rougher than my road king thought the ride would be comparable seems to feel every little bump in the road and i have my air shock adjusted right never owened a new bike will it smoothen out or is it how they ride thought they had the same frame as the electras or do they ride rough too
It rides rough because the suspension is junk. Mushy 1940's technology in the front forks coupled with rear air shocks that are not only garbage, but an inch shorter than the same shocks found on the Electra Glide. Yeah, let's put the absolute lowest quality, POS shock absorber on our most expensive touring bikes...and oh yeah, on the Street Glide let's make it an inch shorter so it can have an inch less suspension travel. Brilliant move HD!

If you want a quality ride, you're going to have to invest in a quality suspension. There are numerous threads on this (especially the rear shocks) in the touring section.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:24 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm regularly amazed at these comments on here. I had an '04 Road King Custom and now have a '11 Street Glide. I thought my old Road King Custom was a VERY comfortable riding bike and my new SG is even better.

It could be argued that I've apparently never felt a good ride and maybe you're right. But this new '11 is extremly smooth and super comfortable, so I don't have a thing I'd change in those regards.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

My *** tells me the 09's and up are much stiffer than the previous chassis. Being 64 yrs old is more telling than say 34 yrs old. It is said the newer bikes handle better but at what cost? Think I'll be riding mt 08 for a long time.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by sg rider

what??????????????

Quick Reply: 11 streetglide a rougher ride to me