General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

11 streetglide a rougher ride to me

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SG RIDER
i own a 2005 road king to that im selling my new 11 street glide rides alot rougher than my road king thought the ride would be comparable seems to feel every little bump in the road and i have my air shock adjusted right never owened a new bike will it smoothen out or is it how they ride thought they had the same frame as the electras or do they ride rough too
Why did you even buy an 11 without a test ride first anyway? Or if you did test ride it and felt every bump in the road why "trade up".

Old 05-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

i own a 2005 road king to that im selling my new 11 street glide rides alot rougher than my road king thought the ride would be comparable seems to feel every little bump in the road and i have my air shock adjusted right never owened a new bike will it smoothen out or is it how they ride thought they had the same frame as the electras or do they ride rough too
This is a run-on sentence - no periods. LOL

I get what you're saying. I agree with the others here - if you trash the crap out back and upgrade to something better, you may get away with 1 inch less travel. That's part of the allure of the SG isn't it? Lower suspension?...

Old 05-24-2011, 10:12 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whaa...?

Old 05-25-2011, 05:41 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,874 Likes on 979 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
My *** tells me the 09's and up are much stiffer than the previous chassis. Being 64 yrs old is more telling than say 34 yrs old. It is said the newer bikes handle better but at what cost? Think I'll be riding mt 08 for a long time.
A stiff frame is a good thing. Cheap, antiquated components in the front and rear suspension are not.

The 2009 and newer touring frames are superior to the previous year model touring frames. They are more rigid, have a wider, stiffer swingarm, have increased load capacity, and are able to maneuver more confidently without that rear end wobble.

If you look at a 2009 and later bagger frame, it looks amazingly like the old FXR frame from the 80's and 90's. The FXR frame was designed by Erik Buell, and is widely regarded as the best handling Harley ever built. It has the same rigid backbone, and the triangular area under the seat.

Too bad the MoCo can't pony up some decent suspension components that would increase maneuverability and comfort 10 fold. Instead, our new baggers have the same old 1948 Hydro-glide technology in the front forks, and ridiculously cheap, lousy performing rear air shocks.

I don't think that having quality adjustable shocks (compression/rebound/preload) is really asking for too much in a $20K touring motorcycle. But that's just me.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:21 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

My 2010 Street Glide is one of the nicest riding bikes I've ever owned? I test rode a Road King and the Street Glide and Loved the Street Glide. I thought the Road King felt buzzy, the front tracked funny, and I didn't like the feeling of sitting on top of the bike. When I first picked up my new Street Glide from the dealer however, it rode a little rough and much different from the one I test rode. Then I checked the air pressure in the shocks. There was none. So I put 30 pounds in. I weigh 225, and ride solo. It rode much better but was a little jarring on sharp bumps. I then lowered the pressure to 20lbs. Perfect, glides over all but the very worst of pot holes, and we have our share here in Vermont. Play with the pressure.

Last edited by Rickr01; 05-25-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:21 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,123 Likes on 3,659 Posts

Do you folks who say negative stuff about newer bikes ride these bikes before you buy it? I always put what i wanna ride through the paces in different roads....As a matter of fact i ride any bike i can at demo days just to compare for the hell of it....I know i would not want a street glide or road glide custom...Very nice bike but not set up for me...

Old 05-25-2011, 07:00 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heck, if you're going to skip punctuation, why not throw out the spaces too!?

"iowna2005roadkingtothatimsellingmynew11streetglid eridesalotrougherthanmyroadkingthoughttheridewould becomparableseemstofeeleverlittlebumpintheroadandi havemyairshockadjustedrigheverowenedanewbikewillit smoothenoutorisithowtheyridethoughttheyhadthesamef rameastheelectrasordotheyrideroughtoo"