General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shouldn't HD salesman own a Harley Davidson?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:38 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've known several HD sales people. They hire them based on sales experience, not motorcycle brand they ride or knowledge. They send the inexperienced ones to a Riders Edge course, and school them on the differences in bike models. After their initial training, they're mostly paid commision, and very few make enough to actually own a Harley.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

Actually, I first prefer they ride. Then, I hope it's an HD. If not, I would try to sell him one. I would follow him around the store. I would call him on his cell phone after 90 days. Send him postcards.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Sales people are hired to "sell" not based on how they get to work, or what they drive...shouldn't matter.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:51 PM
RLJ676
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they ride, it should definitely be a Harley.

If not, then it's odd they sell bikes for a living. They must just be in it if for the money haha...

I'm a big believe in supporting who signs your paychecks.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

I remember an interview with a Ford worker. He had escaped Poland years before and later got a job working for Ford.
He had worked there 35 years and the interviewer asked him if he would own anything other than a Ford.

The worker pointed out the window at the parking lot. He asked the interviewer if he saw the imports parked out there?
He then said and people wonder why the economy was hurting. He said Ford had been good to him, so he would help support them in return.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:55 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Perhaps its just not in his budget. Might have a family and kids and not his priority to sink that much in a bike. I can live with that

Old 05-23-2011, 07:58 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior

Now the guys in the service dept are usually a different story. Nearly all of them ride Harleys. At least at the dealerships I frequent.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:00 PM
doer
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,730 Likes on 2,751 Posts

Originally Posted by brutalbrad
I stopped into the dealership today for no good reason, got to looking at a couple new bikes. Softail Deluxe and Fat Boy Lo. I asked the salesman if he had road both, he said yes. I then asked what he owned and he said a "Yamaha." He hesitated like he didn't want to tell me. Personally i don't care what people ride but its interesting that he doesn't have a HD. It would be like walking into work at Chevy driving a Toyota. or being at Pepsi drinking Coke.

I sure it probably because HD won't give anyone a break on pricing. Not even the sales force.
A Yamaha what?...Sportbike, Supermoto, Motocrosser...should have pryed a little more.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:04 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by doer
A Yamaha what?...Sportbike, Supermoto, Motocrosser...should have pryed a little more.
To be honest after Yamaha i cannot remember the model because i don't know the differences between them. I am thinking he was a crotch rocket kind of guy. but Don't know for sure.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:05 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by monkey sammich
The Pepsi guy that delivers drinks to the vending machines in our building swears he has seen several employees fired for being caught with Coke products while wearing the Pepsi uniform. He said off the clock, they can drink what they want, but when they're on the clock, it's Pepsi the whole way.

Just sayin'...
**** is the same way. you cannot show up at **** with anything but ****.

Quick Reply: Shouldn't HD salesman own a Harley Davidson?