General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minor SNAFU during dealer service

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 AM
szurlo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
+1 on the dry primary theory. It take no time all to verify if there was oil in it. So while the cable was being "lubed" I bet the primary was being serviced. Not the first time I've seen or heard of this happening.
I can see a dry primary making the clutch grabby while the engine is running and the clutch disks are spinning and actually coming together dry while changing gears, but the clutch lever was "rathety" even with the engine off and the bike stationary in neutral. A dry primary could cause that?

Old 06-04-2011, 08:55 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

If ain't broke don't fix it .... those guys don't give a crap about you or your bike.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:06 AM
szurlo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
If ain't broke don't fix it .... those guys don't give a crap about you or your bike.
Yeah, I know, but this is my first Harley. All my previous bikes were rice burners and I did my own service on all of them, but I'm totally unfamiliar with Harley motors so I wanted the dealer to do the first service in case there was some kind of issue right out of the gate that I might not know to look for. Now that it's broken in and has a couple of thousand miles on it and no major material or workmanship issues appear to exist, I'll get the service manual and bone up on this motor and do all future routine service and minor repairs myself.