Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding two-up should be fun, right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:48 PM
MADHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Riding two-up should be fun, right?

Ok so the OL and I went for a couple hour ride yesterday, however…

So we mounted up in hit the gate (gated community), stopped in front of the gate and it opened as designed. The OL says” you didn’t latch the Tour Pak correctly” so instead of proceeding through the gate and fixing the problem I allowed the gate to close, big mistake. I couldn’t back the bike up so I could trigger the mechanism; just too steep of a grade and too heavy of a bike. Now the OL has to go get one of our cages to trip the gate sensor.

So now start the ride and the OL says “crap, I didn’t shut the garage door” yes, I had to go back…

So we ride up to the mountains, which was a nice ride, however on the way down this gust of wind (and I do mean a F’ng gust) comes against my right side and just about shoved us over into the left lane, with oncoming traffic. I’m just glad I was to the far right and had really quick reflexes. Needless to say we were startled. After that I slowed down some, from around 55 to 40, and I’m glad I did because we got hit with a couple more, but I was bracing for them already.

Once we got home the OL was complaining about her ears hurting from the wind, her butt hurting (new seat), the close call with the cross winds, etc. It just made for a less than desirable ride that’s for sure. She’s not that crazy about riding on the Limited anyway since she thinks it is just a heavy bike and doesn’t feel all that safe on it. I think I do a pretty good job with the bike however we just need more time together on it. Its days like this that make me rethink riding two-up. In all honesty I actually like riding alone and wish she would learn to ride, but that’s not going to happen.

Now I’m thinking, if she doesn’t really like the Limited I could have went with a SG or RK, maybe a little bit lighter and not so intimidating without the lowers, Tour-Pak, etc. I did bring that up to her and of course she gave me the whale eye since I just got this one 3 months ago. Yes, when I get the look I back off.

Last edited by MADHOG; 05-23-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:06 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does take some planning and getting used to. I have been riding two up for about a year now and have logged several thousand miles with my fiance. Sturgis last year was a hoot with the both of us. Sometimes I actually ride three up and the weiner dog rides with us. That always draws a crowd where ever we stop.

My advice is to just keep doing it. Learn from each trip something that can make your next trip a little easier or better. Remember the 6 P's. Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance.

Shoot up a flare or send me a PM and we'd be happy to explore the back roads of Las Vegas with ya'll sometime.

Cheers,

Old 05-23-2011, 04:08 PM
dcgray2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am back to riding again after a long break. And you can take or leave my advice.

I got myself in a similar situation the other day. Pulled into an acquaintance's driveway and didn't realize it sloped down into the house as much as it did. Pulled straight in and had to struggle to get my FB backed up to leave.

Wasn't embarrassing and didn't require any help but made me feel dumb.

Also, took my OL for our first 2up ride the other day. I was smart and had her meet me down at our local school in her truck. We putzed around the school property taking it nice and slow for her and I to get the feel of it.

My wife is no barbie doll and I am known by lots of people as "Big Guy" so I should have expected it, but I was surprised by the impact on acceleration and especially braking. In general the change in momentum was much more significant than I would have thought.

The thing I was worried about, balancing, turned out not to be an issue at all.

We ended up hitting the streets after 15 minutes and had a nice little ride. I am looking forward to taking her again.

Getting blown around hasn't been that much of an issue for me after the first time and you sound like you adapted pretty quickly by your own admission.

I would say plan your next few rides carefully to go where you are most comfortable and there are unlikely to be adverse events. Build her confidence slowly and don't give her reasons to not like it.

Also, if she doesn't want to wear a 3/4 or FF to keep the wind out, maybe an ipod or just earplugs to help with the wind.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes it is. Of course the passenger not whining and enjoying it is the key.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:12 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 931 Likes on 573 Posts

Don't do it. Look at the specs. There just is not a great deal of weight difference between them. Most of it is in the allusion of thin plastic attachments.

Just learn to be more organized and prepared. Wind from the right between openings. Be to the right before you get there. Understand the consequences of decisions. Past the trip for the gate. Be aware of that and stop after going through the gate.

None of the events you described had anything to do with the bike. Another bike is not the answer. Just become more awake, alert or conscious and quit running around on auto pilot. WAKE UP!!!! Can you hear me now. It also had nothing to do with 2 up. You must become more effective and efficient in your daily activities.

Last edited by lh4x4; 05-23-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:14 PM
dcgray2
Tourer

Originally Posted by Kowan
Yes it is. Of course the passenger not whining and enjoying it is the key.
Are you married???

I want my wife to enjoy riding with me. She rode with me after saying a couple of times that she probably never would.

She did that because she trusted me to not do anything that would take her out of her comfort zone too far and to give her an easy out at any point in the process.

A little care and feeding up front pays handsome dividends for the long haul. At least that's been my experience, YMMV.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not anymore. My ex rode with me while we were in high school dating.
I had a Honda CL350 then. She rode with me on the many bikes I had prior to my FXSTC.
Continued to ride with me during our 28 year marriage until I got her a Sportster.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Both of you need more seat time. In my opinion the Limited is very balanced. Even when compared to a RK or Street Glide. It is one of the best bikes that Harley has made to date.

Ear plugs fix ear aches. Relative to the seat the stock seat was very good to begin with, the revised seat that is stock on the 2011 is even better. Did you really need to change? Can you flat foot or close it. The 2011 seat will help, if you need reach more get a pair of logger boots, change shocks the very last(major comfort issue)

Is this your first bike, or first touring bike with your wife? For example my wife knows when I need her to get off and push the bike back. It is no big deal.

While you are getting use to the bike take your lowers off . Me personally I like to ride with lowers and they are on all of my bikes, but if that is what make you comfortable forgo them for now. But you will need them later. For now I would not trade your bike at this point, only the dealer makes out.

Also turn off the radio while you and your wife are trying to get use to riding and the new bike, it is just a major distraction.

If you can get her to take a MSF Beginners class for the simple reason if she understands how to be a driver she will understand being passenger. It does help.

Riding in the wind makes us all pucker there is no getting around that, other than don't overly get relaxed when riding. In fact I do not like the term cruising, when you are riding on two wheels there is no such thing.

Get back to us but don't give up just ride, you are near some of the most beautiful ride territory in the nation.

Last edited by leicafish; 05-23-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:34 PM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by MADHOG
Ok so the OL and I went for a couple hour ride yesterday, however…
I guess that means you didn't go on the chairity poker run yesterday nor the BBQ afterwards with the live band. Did you ride up to Mount Charleston or farther? Poker run was slightly over 100 miles though not to Mount Charleston this time around.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:49 PM
DMacLeod
Road Captain

I enjoy taking my wife riding. She started as my riding partner close to 20 years ago on a 79 sportster. A couple of bikes later I upgraded to a 97 electra glide. Now she won't get on anything unless it is a bagger.

Next year she wants her own. I'll pick up a used 1200 sportster. (that way I can blast around on it once in a while)

Quick Reply: Riding two-up should be fun, right?