General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding two-up should be fun, right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011 | 12:57 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Takes a certain mindset on both parties part to enjoy a ride and both be comfortable doing it not all riders can handle 2 up on a big bike same as some passengers need to learn to sit still and shut the f*ck up because what they are doing on back affects everything and can get both parties killed . Had a few of those over the years they didn't last long . My ex wife was the perfect riding companion and I still miss her for that took a bit of training and couple hard no bullshit lessons to find the happy spot but we did .

My OL of 10 yrs now has no interest in the bike or me being out on it . Just call & let her know I'm still breathing is all she asks , life is good .

Old 05-24-2011 | 01:50 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member

I use always solo ride, but now I always ride 2-up with the wife and it's fun to me. She is an awesome passenger and have the time you can't tell she is on the the bike-she is that good with balance and what not. Sure you have to ride differant that if solo, but I liove taking her with me. It takes some time to get use the the 2-up ride, but after doing it for awhile it will almost feel odd to ride solo.

Old 05-24-2011 | 02:22 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

Practice pratcice practice. Go ride in a school parking lot for awhile and get used to manuevering the bike. Short rides come next then longer ones then a trip. Allow her to build up her seat muscles and calluses. In no time she'll be ready to ride anytime you are ready to go.

Old 05-24-2011 | 02:24 PM
Mellow Yellow
Advanced

I would like to donate my .02's worth to this one. I have not read this entire post, about 3 pages. There are several things you can do that will make you and your wife alot happier on the bike that I did not see mentioned in the other pages.( I did not read everything )

1st. thing, if you don't exercise you need to. That alone will help you more than anything. It's a heavey bike and being in better shape can only help. You will be suprised.

2nd. develope a routine when getting ready to ride. You're routine not someone elses. This will help get you on your way. Include you're wife. Make her apart of the adventure, simply because she is.

3rd. Include your wife, there are jobs she can do. Next time you are at a big rally watch other experienced couples and you will see what I'm talking about. One big thing is have her help park the bike when grades, sand, gravel etc. are involved. Like at the gate, I would bet that if she would have gotten off the bike and helped pull it back you could have tripped the gate and made things less hectic.

We can talk about this for awhile but this will do for now. Its a good start. As far as the seat goes, grab a pillow off the couch and let try that -could be suprised with that as well.

Good luck, 2up riding takes time.

Last edited by Mellow Yellow; 05-24-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2011 | 02:35 PM
supercrewser
Road Master

Originally Posted by Kowan
The Rocker was bought a few years after my divorce which came a couple years after the death of our youngest son in a car accident.
Death of a child sometimes has that effect on the mothers.

My FXSTC is still set up for 2 up. That's what we rode and her 5' 2" 115 lbs might be why she enjoyed it as much as I did.
Sorry to hear about all of the bad stuff, lifes a beatch sometimes. I wish my wife was 5'2" and 115 maybe thats why she doesnt like to ride.LOL

Old 05-24-2011 | 03:23 PM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain

I thank my lucky stars for my GF who just LOVES to ride! Never ever a complaint. If we are going somewhere, she always asks "Can we take the Harley?" Even all our trips are planned around taking the bike and how we can manage to pack everything we need on it. The first time I fired it up this spring she came running into the garage in just her robe and asked if we were going for a ride.

I feel for you guys with ladies that b**ch about riding!

Old 05-24-2011 | 04:08 PM
tryus
Road Captain

I'm with XL50#674, my (excuse me, our!) Heritage don't feel right without my ol lady on back. Wasn't always like that though, for awhile, she felt like having a sack of potatoes on the end of a pole strapped to the sissy bar! But that was 1982, and after awhile she learned to just press back against the sissy bar and let me do the work. It's been smooth sailing ever since. As long as we're on the bike that is! Ha!

Old 05-24-2011 | 04:46 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Maybe I'm a hardass about this but when on the bike I'm the boss just like the the captain of a ship . There is no other opinion or debate about it . I'm responsible for both our lives when out so back seat driving isn't going to happen , you'll do as I say or it won't happen a second time .

Yes this has caused friction on a few occasions but it has to be that way particularity with the ever increasing number of idiots driving out there . My ex was typical when we first started riding together , all the time over my shoulders and squirming around on the seat thank god she was a small woman . What put and end to it was she was shifting around after I told her sit still , her timing was really bad she bounced and we changed lanes on a curve into oncoming traffic . Got stopped on the wrong side of the road and I had a purple face vein throbbing spit flying screaming meltdown in her face . Don't know we how missed getting killed . Woman was a model passenger from that day on , didn't change a damn thing off the bike but she was great on it .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 05-24-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2011 | 04:51 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member

Your bad day of riding will set an example of what not to do for both of you. Guarantee you guys will pre-plan better!

I enjoy having a passenger when I'm riding. Using the Scala Q2 headsets makes things more enjoyable too! Easier to relay certain things to one another in a more relaxed tone...which, we all know, is important. Plus you still can communicate at a distance even off the bike...like asking her to get something while she has gone back into the garage or house!

Honestly, the only female that rides with me and complains is my 15 year old daughter! She gets whiney around 40 miles or so...every girl that I have dated have been perfect passengers!

I am 5'10" and the last few girlfriends have been 6'0", and on the Ultra, that is a lot of weight up high and makes slow maneuvering interesting, but not impossible. Practice makes things more pleasurable! Time in the saddle and situational awareness are paramount.

Ride on...

Last edited by frontiercat; 05-24-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-24-2011 | 04:53 PM
Clutch70
Road Master

Man I wish my wifey rode.

Quick Reply: Riding two-up should be fun, right?