General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Modulators - Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:29 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,815 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Not interested. Too Goldwingish. And I would think they shorten headlight life,going on & off all the time.
They fluctuate by reducing voltage, not cutting it off completly. The version I use pulses from %100 to %17 voltage. I get great service life from my lamps.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:33 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

draw way to much attention from, DA POOOLICE!! the man, leos, cops, fuzz, and people with similar jobs.[/quote]

Since I have neither warrants, or pockets full of contraband, I could care less whose attention I draw. LEO isn't above turning in front of me either. The closest I ever came to getting run over from behind was by a state tropper. They are just motor vehicle operators too.

Last edited by xwhyz1959; 05-25-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stubby3492
I found this thread was somewhat annoying, with all these guys coming up with reasons why headlight modulators are bad, target fixation, distracting, annoying, and other so called factual reasons that they just pulled out of their asses.
Many of these guys probably either ride with no helmet, or a $20 beanie and no other safety gear, but they ride with guns because it makes them feel safe.

-

Spot on!

Old 05-25-2011, 12:38 PM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Headlite modulator

NO

Old 05-25-2011, 01:27 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DaSarge
Ran one back when I owned my Kawa. Now I've got HID on my Streetglide. They don't react well to flicking on and off repeatedly.
DaSarge ... your avatar reminds me of headlight modulators ... just sayin'

Old 05-25-2011, 01:41 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghosteh
So you're saying that if I ride with my headlight pulsing, I MIGHT come up behind an old person who MIGHT think I am an emergency vehicle and MIGHT make a sudden lane change, where there MIGHT be another vehicle that they MIGHT hit?

And you arrived at this conclusion after seeing this happen many times? Seriously???Who have you been following that has the modulator, because we know you don't have one.

On second thought, I trust your un-scientific research. I'm convinced. Not only are modulators not effective at keeping you safe, they're downright DANGEROUS! Guess I was living life on the edge all this time & didn't know it. I'll go take mine off right now.

No, I surely do not have one. Those "mights" are ofter "are's". I do not know how far and wide you ride, and don't really care. I managed to log < 21,000 miles on the bikes and <15,000 in the cars and truck, while visiting 29 states and a couple of Canadian provinces last year. I see a lot of stuff on my travels, and more than my share of modulators. I base my opinion on what I have seen and the answers of those I have questioned. Regardless, you just go about concerned only with yourself and don't give a crap about anyone else. And, while you're at it, work on your sarcasm. It's weak.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by XL50#674
Every time I see a bike with one I want to throw something at them. i use to ride with a guy that had one and would always make him take the lead as I hated seeing that in my mirrors. I don't think you would ever get pulled over for one, but do everyone a favor and don't get it. I ride with my brights on during the day and have yet to have an issue.
Yeah, like riding with your brights on and blinding people is better...

Old 05-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stubby3492

Originally Posted by northern64
I cant stand em either, when im driving my truck, i see em and for some unexplainable reason i develop some road rage over it.
That being said i could not use one just because i wont subject my fellow man to that feeling just
so i can ride my bike.
If seeing a headlight modulator causes you to develop road rage, then:
A: You should not be driving on public roads.

B: You should seek some professional help.

C: Maybe enroll in some anger management classes before you get behind a wheel again.

-
1+

Old 05-25-2011, 06:00 PM
northern64
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts

Just because someone develops "road rage" should not disqualify them from driving. I could be wrong but there are several levels of "road rage"...ill give a couple of examples!

"hey bob, look at that douche that just rode a wheelie through a red light, people like that **** me off!"...I would consider this a very mild case of road rage

"hey bob, you see that a-hole that just cut me off and then flipped me the bird? man i would like to slap his mama!....This i would consider an elevated case of road rage.

"hey bob, I cant believe that lady talking on the cell phone just pulled out in front of me! Im gonna follow her home and give her a piece of my mind!....This, i believe would be a very elevated case of road rage where common sense begins to fail.

"hey bob" do you know any good lawyers? Some old lady on a goldwing trike rode my *** for 6 miles with one of them modulating headlight thingys so i slammed on my brakes, jumped out of my truck, punched her in the face and slashed her tires......this i believe would be a extreme case of road rage worthy of....

A) losing your license to drive.

B) court mandated counseling.

I simply have no better explanation of the feeling i get that is all... you could substitute road rage with just about any other adjective if it makes you feel better!

I honestly dont care what you choose to ride with and you should not care if i laugh, snicker, make a smart *** comment about you for doing so, and if the thought of me lying in a pool of my own blood with a soccor mom parked on top of me wishing i had a modulating headlight makes you feel smarter, more prepared, or somehow better then me by all means do so!

Old 05-25-2011, 06:35 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by scoteh
You obviously missed my point. Older folks, who drive perfectly fine otherwise, see these things and think emergency vehicles are coming up behind them. They sometimes make lane changes, etc, without looking around as well as they regularly would. I ride a lot of miles and have seen this happen a number of times, which is why I did my un-scientific survey. You have to believe what you have to believe. Me? I truly believe that those who use them are concerned stricly with themselves and not those around them.
Your damn right I'm only concerned about me, and perhaps my old lady if she's riding with me.

Quick Reply: Headlight Modulators - Yes or No