General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Modulators - Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 PM
dvmweb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one. Makes me be seen. Use it as necessary, in town, at intersections, seeing someone pulling out. Works, period. Oh, I also have a modulating brake light. And, wear a high vis jacket and a full face helmet. Ultra Classic.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:47 PM
rydahog
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Nope

Originally Posted by mstonge
On a ride this weekend I passed a motorcycle using a headlight modulator. I must say, he was very visible. In a different thread I read today, someone mentioned them. So, my question is, are you using one, thinking about it or not interested?
not using one, not thinking about it, not interested......they are terrible...but that is JMHO!

draw way to much attention from, DA POOOLICE!! the man, leos, cops, fuzz, and people with similar jobs.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Ret50
Cruiser

here's mine,,,if people find them so annoying, I guess that means they (the flashing light) gets attention..I'll bet the "annoyed" people didn't lose sight of that modulating light..proven fact that the human eye will notice a flashing light faster then a steady beam...put 1 modulating headlight in a group of steady beams and which one do you focus on?...ok,,go ahead and rip me,,

Old 05-24-2011, 11:02 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ret50
...put 1 modulating headlight in a group of steady beams and which one do you focus on?...
That's precisely the problem w/ them--they distract other drivers to focus their attention on your flashing light, and away from safe driving.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 PM
northern64
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts

I cant stand em either, when im driving my truck, i see em and for some unexplainable reason i develop some road rage over it. That being said i could not use one just because i wont subject my fellow man to that feeling just
so i can ride my bike.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:57 PM
Stubby3492
Road Captain

I found this thread was somewhat annoying, with all these guys coming up with reasons why headlight modulators are bad, target fixation, distracting, annoying, and other so called factual reasons that they just pulled out of their asses.
Many of these guys probably either ride with no helmet, or a $20 beanie and no other safety gear, but they ride with guns because it makes them feel safe.
To the OP, don't listen to them, these things do what they are meant to do, and that is to make you more visible. Anything that can help to make you more visible and get noticed is going to help make you safer. Its a no-brainer.
Brake light modulators also help.
I don't want to hijack this thread, but it sort of reminds me of another thread a while back when someone asked about Dyna Beads for wheel balancing.
Posts started popping up saying they were just a gimmick, or snake oil, etc. None of these guys had even tried them.
The posts by the guys that actually use them, gave them great reviews. I use them myself, and my wheels are smooth as glass at any speed.
It just goes to show that some guys always have to pipe in with their opinion on something they know nothing about or have never tried.
Remember what Clint Eastwood said about opinions.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, because that was not my intention.
I just wanted to help the OP to see through the bullshit when his safety could be involved.

-

Last edited by Stubby3492; 05-25-2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:02 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain

Originally Posted by northern64
I cant stand em either, when im driving my truck, i see em and for some unexplainable reason i develop some road rage over it. That being said i could not use one just because i wont subject my fellow man to that feeling just
so i can ride my bike.

If seeing a headlight modulator causes you to develop road rage, then:
A: You should not be driving on public roads.

B: You should seek some professional help.

C: Maybe enroll in some anger management classes before you get behind a wheel again.

-

Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 AM
DaSarge
Intermediate

Ran one back when I owned my Kawa. Now I've got HID on my Streetglide. They don't react well to flicking on and off repeatedly.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:43 AM
NorCal Dog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

want

Old 05-25-2011, 03:00 AM
Squirrel67
Cruiser

I would rather have a cage at night with it's hi-beams blaring at my mirrors from behind me than a bike with a modulating headlight behind my bike. Thats how annoying they are. They seriously should not be legal, except for emergency vehicles.

Quick Reply: Headlight Modulators - Yes or No