General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Modulators - Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Chief1297
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 28,934 Likes on 11,216 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghosteh
Style?? If it prevents soccer-mom's minivan from turning left in front of me, it's definitely my HD's style.

When I bought my RK, I added two things. A BAL taillight and a headlight modulator. I'm not worried about tickets or style, but I am concerned about idiots out there, especially after a taxi almost took me out last year.

Both BAL & the modulator work by flashing. The human eye is attracted to movement, and just turning on your brights isn't as effective as flashing them at a quick rate. It really does attract attention.

To those who get annoyed by them, they DO have an on/off feature. I turn mine on when riding through the city, but off when on the highway or riding with others. Use it when you think the risk is greatest.
Alright now...common sense will not be tolerated...Hey, mods, can we do something about this post...way to much common sense involved!!!

Old 05-24-2011, 11:24 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Not just no, but NO! They irritate me. They freak a lot of old folks out (I did my own un-scientific survey), which may leave you safe but may also endanger other people. When I feel that endangered, I'll quit riding.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally I find them obnoxious...especially when the guy right behind me has got his on.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:19 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say no. One, I believe motolights are as, or more effective then the modulator, and two, here in Floida at busy intersections with impatient drivers turning left they thought the biker was flashing his high beams to tell the driver the biker was yielding to make his turn. They have led to several near-misses. Just my $.02.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Squirrel67
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I,ll pull of the road if a bike behind me is using a modulator they are super annoying. I bet most of the bikers that use them have A-D-D, you know the type im talking about, the way they act and dress is a dead giveaway.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoteh
Not just no, but NO! They irritate me. They freak a lot of old folks out (I did my own un-scientific survey), which may leave you safe but may also endanger other people. When I feel that endangered, I'll quit riding.

Lots of folks, young & old, are freaked out easily and are a danger to other people on the road, but I can't get them to stop driving.

If you've ever had some idiot try to turn right in front of you, then give you a sheepish little wave as he realizes what he did, or have some oblivious chatterbox on her cell cut right across two lanes of traffic to make her turn at the last moment, you might start realizing that many people are in a different state of mind when they drive. They see, but are not paying attention.

Those are the folks that I worry about, and I don't give a rats *** if they are irritated for 2-3 seconds as I pass them with a pulsing headlight. They need to be snapped back to reality for a moment.

Modulators aren't for everyone, and there are some people that don't know when to use them & when not to. Everyone has a brain-fart once in a while, including me, but I still think the modulator is as good a safety tool as the BAL taillight. Just like a horn is a good safety tool, but you don't use it constantly.

Lots of riders would never use a modulator. Of course, some would never have a headlight, turn signals, or brake lights on their rides if they weren't required by law. Riding is inherently more dangerous than driving a Ford Excursion, and we each have to set the level of risk we're willing to take to enjoy the experience. Personally, I'm not ready to dress like a BMW rider, but if I have more close calls, I'd definitely consider it before I give up riding all together.

Call me a wimp if you want, but I'll take every reasonable advantage I can & still keep riding.
(and don't worry... it won't be me flashing my headlight as I sit behind you at the light)

Last edited by Ghosteh; 05-24-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:42 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Every time I see a bike with one I want to throw something at them. i use to ride with a guy that had one and would always make him take the lead as I hated seeing that in my mirrors. I don't think you would ever get pulled over for one, but do everyone a favor and don't get it. I ride with my brights on during the day and have yet to have an issue.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:13 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghosteh
Lots of folks, young & old, are freaked out easily and are a danger to other people on the road, but I can't get them to stop driving.

If you've ever had some idiot try to turn right in front of you, then give you a sheepish little wave as he realizes what he did, or have some oblivious chatterbox on her cell cut right across two lanes of traffic to make her turn at the last moment, you might start realizing that many people are in a different state of mind when they drive. They see, but are not paying attention.

Those are the folks that I worry about, and I don't give a rats *** if they are irritated for 2-3 seconds as I pass them with a pulsing headlight. They need to be snapped back to reality for a moment.

Modulators aren't for everyone, and there are some people that don't know when to use them & when not to. Everyone has a brain-fart once in a while, including me, but I still think the modulator is as good a safety tool as the BAL taillight. Just like a horn is a good safety tool, but you don't use it constantly.

Lots of riders would never use a modulator. Of course, some would never have a headlight, turn signals, or brake lights on their rides if they weren't required by law. Riding is inherently more dangerous than driving a Ford Excursion, and we each have to set the level of risk we're willing to take to enjoy the experience. Personally, I'm not ready to dress like a BMW rider, but if I have more close calls, I'd definitely consider it before I give up riding all together.

Call me a wimp if you want, but I'll take every reasonable advantage I can & still keep riding.
(and don't worry... it won't be me flashing my headlight as I sit behind you at the light)
You obviously missed my point. Older folks, who drive perfectly fine otherwise, see these things and think emergency vehicles are coming up behind them. They sometimes make lane changes, etc, without looking around as well as they regularly would. I ride a lot of miles and have seen this happen a number of times, which is why I did my un-scientific survey. You have to believe what you have to believe. Me? I truly believe that those who use them are concerned stricly with themselves and not those around them.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master

Originally Posted by scoteh
You obviously missed my point. Older folks, who drive perfectly fine otherwise, see these things and think emergency vehicles are coming up behind them. They sometimes make lane changes, etc, without looking around as well as they regularly would. I ride a lot of miles and have seen this happen a number of times, which is why I did my un-scientific survey. You have to believe what you have to believe. Me? I truly believe that those who use them are concerned stricly with themselves and not those around them.
So you're saying that if I ride with my headlight pulsing, I MIGHT come up behind an old person who MIGHT think I am an emergency vehicle and MIGHT make a sudden lane change, where there MIGHT be another vehicle that they MIGHT hit?

And you arrived at this conclusion after seeing this happen many times? Seriously???Who have you been following that has the modulator, because we know you don't have one.

On second thought, I trust your un-scientific research. I'm convinced. Not only are modulators not effective at keeping you safe, they're downright DANGEROUS! Guess I was living life on the edge all this time & didn't know it. I'll go take mine off right now.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master

Originally Posted by XL50#674
Every time I see a bike with one I want to throw something at them. i use to ride with a guy that had one and would always make him take the lead as I hated seeing that in my mirrors. I don't think you would ever get pulled over for one, but do everyone a favor and don't get it. I ride with my brights on during the day and have yet to have an issue.
I sincerely hope riding with your brights on continues to work for you. Anything that improves visibility is better than nothing at all.

Quick Reply: Headlight Modulators - Yes or No