General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Modulators - Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:42 PM
strongwood
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I would rather put a HID on mine

I was looking at this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLE...Q5fAccessories

Old 05-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

No thanks - don't really care for the annoying strobing. Ended up adding driving lights - much better look.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:38 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not something I would put on anything I own much less either of my HD's.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:09 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,670 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Not interested. Too Goldwingish. And I would think they shorten headlight life,going on & off all the time.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:32 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Extremely annoying and irritating.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:11 AM
lviguy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've run a modulator for about 25k miles and a Bal-1 for about the last 20k (had the HD run/turn mod before that). You can see people see you running the modulator.

I turn it off in group rides.

When I bought my 2011 Limited I had to run w/o the modulator for a couple of weeks and had an a-hole run me off the road on the freeway. That just doesn't happen with the modulator.

It's no guarantee, but it adds to your safety and combined with defensive driving increases your odds of a safe trip.

BTW, these things blink 6 times a second. SIX TIMES a SECOND. EVERY SECOND! If someone thinks that's a flash to go ahead they are suffering from a rectal cranial inversion of epic proportions.

Make yourself seen. Cagers don't pull out or turn in front of motorcycles because they see them, it's because they don't.

The guys that make me laugh are the ones with loud pipes claiming that they save lives when the cagers have their windows rolled up the A/C on max and the stereo cranked up. Why do you think they put flashing light on emergency vehicles? Because people can't hear the freakin' siren.

Get a modulator and use it. It just might save your a$$ someday, and costs about $120.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:07 AM
osirisdean
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lviguy

BTW, these things blink 6 times a second. SIX TIMES a SECOND. EVERY SECOND! If someone thinks that's a flash to go ahead they are suffering from a rectal cranial inversion of epic proportions.
actually, ive seen modulators blinking at different frequencies, which leads into my question:

are there any regulations on the minimum/maximum frequency at which headlight modulators can blink?

i have definitely seen some that were *flashing* -- that is, they were blinking (alternating completely or almost completely on&off) much slower than 6x a second. to me, that borders on the "for emergency vehicles only" restrictions on flashing lights. maybe it was ghettorigged or something, im not sure.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:16 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by osirisdean
actually, ive seen modulators blinking at different frequencies, which leads into my question:

are there any regulations on the minimum/maximum frequency at which headlight modulators can blink?

i have definitely seen some that were *flashing* -- that is, they were blinking (alternating completely or almost completely on&off) much slower than 6x a second. to me, that borders on the "for emergency vehicles only" restrictions on flashing lights. maybe it was ghettorigged or something, im not sure.

There is no maximum rate but there is a minimum rate. I think the minimum is 240 per minute.
I have one but like others have said, I turn mine off when riding in groups.
When I bought mine, it came with a paper to show a cop IF you got pulled over. It explained federal law and requested the cop contact his supervisor for verification. Never needed it, even the barneys in my little beach town knows about them.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:20 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Not for me ... I think they cause car drivers to get target fixation.

On the other hand:
Goes good with those florescent orange riding suites. Can't be too careful.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:34 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

There was a thread on here where he added 2 spot lights on his front forks, and showed pictures at the end of the driveway with them on and off. They looked nice, without being annoying. Anyone know what they were called? It was something like Motospots.

Quick Reply: Headlight Modulators - Yes or No