General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Modulators - Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:35 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 65 Posts

It is one of those accessories that bug everyone riding in front of you! I told a guy that had one and was riding with us, ride in front so I don't have that thing flashing in my mirror, and if you are SO paranoid that someone can't see you, go buy a day-glo vest, flashing red lights all over your body, and drive a car.

Really don't like them

Old 05-23-2011, 03:38 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interested. Prolly install one next week. I just put on the $400 BAL-2 taillight from http://www.brightasslights.com/site/
I'm looking to do something for the front of the bike to help my visibility up there. Eventually, I plan on getting the Harley front LED light. But until then, I think a modulator will help me be seen better.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:19 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

There are lights that scan on locomotives. Idiots still pull out in front of them. Semi's have lots of lights. Idiots still pull out in front of them. The little wiggly lights on a bikes wouldn't help either. Idiots will always be idiots.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:41 PM
Wadcutter
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Of course idiots will always be idiots. But modulators do work.
A helmet won't always keep you from busting open your skull.
Leathers won't always protect you from losing hide.
Boots won't always protect you from breaking an ankle.
But like all of those a modulator is just another tool in your tool box to give you a bit more protection. Someone will still pull out in front of you whether equipped with a modulator or not. I spent nearly 40 yrs in LE and people would pull out in front of us when we were running lights and sirens. Those few idiots didn't stop us from running red lights and sirens tho when going on a call. A lot more people saw them and acted correctly. Same with a modulator.
Some people can come up with all kinds of excuses without having any factual reasons. It's called MSU. When they don't want something they MSU and then expect others to believe them when nothing was based on fact. MSU ain't facts. Ultra98rider did a pretty good job of explaining it.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
I took mine off for two reasons:

1. People kept flashing back at me. Don't really know why.

2. My cousin had a car turn in front of him and even gave him the "thank you wave". She thought he was flashing her as to tell her to go ahead with your turn.

They seem safe until you experience these things. I feel they are unsafe now.
This is exactly why I won't put one on. I see very few here; the last time I saw one headed towards me, I too thought he was flashing a go ahead signal. I, didn't turn because I felt the distance was too close, but I could have done so just like what happened to your cousin. No modulator for me!

Old 05-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
It is one of those accessories that bug everyone riding in front of you! I told a guy that had one and was riding with us, ride in front so I don't have that thing flashing in my mirror, and if you are SO paranoid that someone can't see you, go buy a day-glo vest, flashing red lights all over your body, and drive a car.

Really don't like them
Agree about making them lead. Obnoxious addon.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:23 PM
frankh
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hojones
I know they are perfectly legal in all states per federal law. But my opinion is they are a good way to get pulled over by a LEO that doesn't know the law or doesn't know the differance in "modulating" and "flashing". Just not worth it to me. If I need to be more visible I flip my headlight to high beam or turn my spots on.
I've been riding with a modulator for five years. 100,000 miles. Never ever been pulled over by a LEO (except for this last weekend when I hit a couple of motorcycle roadblocks in north Georgia ; but nothing was said about my modulating headlight. I did talk to one fella who was ticketed at the roadblock for having one of those mohawk things velcroed to the top of his helmet, but that's another thread...).

Old 05-23-2011, 05:43 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,239 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
Agree about making them lead. Obnoxious addon.

Yep, that's what I meant about irritating. When I'm riding with other bikes I turn it off unless I'm lead.

Door slammers just have to put up with it or move out from in front of me.

btw, at least once a week someone pulls over thinking a LEO is behind them. lol

Kevin

Old 05-23-2011, 05:45 PM
99superglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mostly ride during daylight hours and I leave my high beams constantly.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would come in handy being able to turn it off or on.
I thought they were an always on feature.

Quick Reply: Headlight Modulators - Yes or No