General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Riders with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:14 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I love these threads. We're supposed to be a bunch of big tough bikers, but we're getting old and the bodies are falling apart. I've had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands in about 1998. I've had Ulnar Nerve surgery on right elbow in about 1999. I had c5/c6 operated on and fused in 2000. I had left rotator cuff surgery in 2005. Hands are fine since the carpal tunnel surgery. Currently having issues with both rotator cuffs, and both Ulnar nerves, and c4/c5, c6/c7 need to be repaired (fused). C5/c6 that was done in 2000 needs to be redone because the cadavor bone fusion did not take properly. Both Ulnar nerves need to be worked on again - even the one that was already operated on. Both rotator cuffs need more surgery - even the one that was already operated on. Rather than having several more surgeries and nearly a year of recovery, in desperation I tried acupuncture. It has worked well for me. I have gotten a ton of pain relief. (Not a cure for the problems, but pain management helps me postpone inevitable surgeries.) Before acupuncture, I could not put on a shirt without excruciating pain. After acupuncture, I can do anything I want. I still have some pain every day, but it is manageable with acupuncture treatments.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Detroit Iron
I've got Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I'm considering having the release surgery, but I'm concerned that after, I won't have the strength to operate the clutch.

Are there any HD riders out there with CTS? If so, have you had surgery, and, did it effect your ability to ride?

I don't want to love my freedom!
I would consider seeing a good massage therapist who understands trigger point therapy. I am an RMT and perform this kind of work often for the same symptoms. I thought I had severe carpal tunnel and learned better from an informed therapist. See a therapist who can work your scalenes. Here is a link to some info. If you truly want to avoid surgery, check it out.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:48 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands this winter and have no problem with the clutch or brake. Mind you, in my case, my hands were just fine when I was riding, but went to sleep and or throbbed when I was working. Sometimes they would tingle a bit when I first started riding, but it would go away. My whole life has changed since the surgery. I would not hesitate to do it again, but I hope I never have to.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I had surgery on both wrists and have had no problem since. It was getting bad enough that I thought I would have to quit riding. I couldn't even button my shirt without help.

Once I made the decision to have the surgery I asked the doctor if he could do both wrists at the same time. He said, "Sure I can, but there are some things your wife probably won't do for you, so you should talk to her about it first." Hmm, WE decided I should do one at a time.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:37 PM
kevmiami
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody who rides at our age is big and tough - this stuff hurts!! Had release on left hand several years back, took almost 9-12 months to have full strength back, but everybody is different. I was not riding then; just bought an '07 fatboy last week. I did not have surgery on my right-hand which goes to sleep almost immediately on a bicycle because of the pressure I put on it. The fatboy is not as bad, but I'm going to have to put some sort of cruise control besides cramp buster.

If you do any computer work (yes, that includes this forum) you need to be sure and use an ergo keyboard and mouse/trackball. If you are a good candidate for surgery, don't wait, you will be happy with results. A word of caution, my ex-wife runs very successful surgery centers - the stories she tells are frighting. Pick your surgeon carefully; ask around town - you really want to talk to the nursing staff! Recommend you stay away from docs which own their own surgery center and do, do, do, do get a second opinion!! Good luck, Kevin.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:46 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
I had surgery on both wrists and have had no problem since. It was getting bad enough that I thought I would have to quit riding. I couldn't even button my shirt without help.

Once I made the decision to have the surgery I asked the doctor if he could do both wrists at the same time. He said, "Sure I can, but there are some things your wife probably won't do for you, so you should talk to her about it first." Hmm, WE decided I should do one at a time.
I wish I had had your doctor. I asked mine if I should have them both done at the same time. He said "sure - why not". I expected to wake up with a bandaid on each wrist. When I woke up with a cast on each arm, I was totally surprised. Simple things like wiping my a$$ were impossible. My wife was not amused when I simply scraped my a$$ on the corner of the sink. I could not zip my pants or tie my shoes. you find out really quick who your real friends are when you need help zipping up the trouser snake. LOL

Old 05-23-2011, 06:17 PM
brickie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

'Simple things like wiping my a$$ were impossible. My wife was not amused when I simply scraped my a$$ on the corner of the sink'.

About fell over from laughing so hard on that one. Although the visual kind of freaks me out a little. I'm also a candidate for hand surgery but when the time comes I'll have one hand done at a time. Being able to wipe my own *** is still one of my top priorities.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:38 PM
foxhd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had both done at the same time about 6-7 years ago. Endoscopic procedure. Only 2 small cuts on each hand. One at wrist fold and the other in my palm. Had full recovery in a couple months. Have not had a problem since. Sure glad it was done.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Detroit Iron
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I think I will at least need to have my left wrist done. Riding my Nightster really aggrivated it. I made the mistake of going to the HD dealer to LOOK at new bikes. I sat on a Softail and noticed the clutch required about 50% less effort. Short story short... I left my Nightster there & came home with a 2011 Fatboy.

I work on computers for a living (I hate it) & I will not give up my Harley Davidson for something an effing computer caused!

Old 05-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I busted my right wrist up in 69 falling out of a tree in Guam on my way to Viet Nam. Long story. Over the years, the arthritis built up to where after 10 minutes riding, I would have to drop my right hand down a bit. Same problem driving the car. Had the surgery 5-6 years ago and don't remember any extended down time from it. No issues at all now. No pain, no weakness, no numbness.

Last edited by Chunker; 05-23-2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: error

Quick Reply: Any Riders with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?