General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let The Checkpoints Begin...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 04:06 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Exactly, and dont forget $$$$$

Originally Posted by Tactical111
It is a violation of the 4th Amendment; "Persons shall be secure in their homes and persons from unreasonable search and seizure." In other words they need "probable cause" to stop you. Just because some Judge says check points are "legal" doesn't make it so.

Judges have become "agents of the government" by rubber stamping Unconstitutional laws. We are seeing the rapid erosion of our Liberties in the name of "safety" and security".

Saw a clip on You Tube where the Tennessee cops are pulling over cars and just taking any cash you have on you. They took 4K from an old lady who just carried her cash with her. Meanwhile the northbound side of the highway had all the drugs going by and only about 1 in 10 stops were made on that side.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:23 AM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
From your vantage point in Texas I don't understand how you can get so worked up over something you haven't the slightest idea about.

You haven't seen any of these checkpoints now have you? You especially haven't seen any of the checkpoints that the OP mentioned in Union county. This is a tourist area that attracts many, many visitors. More than should be are killed or seriously injured because of their own actions i.e. poor driving skills. Unfortunately just being a bad driver isn't against the law, but being an unlicensed one is. The State Police run check points at various times of the year (like before the first big summer Holiday) to check licenses and insurance. They also run DUI checkpoints on New Years Eve. I have been through many of these checkpoints. As I said they check all vehicles in my experience.

There are always going to be people looking for a reason to be offended or outraged. This shouldn't be one of them, but if it is at least this information has given you warning so you can avoid North Georgia.

On this at least we will have to respectfully disagree.
Sorry dude your giving up your rights way to easy. As with 99% of government regulations or laws or fee's this is just the beginning if we let it be. It's about one thing money and the checkpoints on the way to Daytona were that a huge money grab.

Having served in the US Army during the early 70's it reminds me so much of the why it sucked to be a German citizen having to show your papers. Its not what our country is about and I whole heartily disagree and will not give up my rights that easy.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:32 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by HDTide
Here in Texas the state legislature is trying to pass a law that PASSENGERS have to have a motorcycle endorsement. The bill reads "sportbike" but there is no definition of what a sportbike is. Our COC&IR has been active in trying to get it thrown out.
so whats next? everyone who rides in a cager has to have a driver License,
talking dumb laws...

Old 05-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
so whats next? everyone who rides in a cager has to have a driver License,
talking dumb laws...

I'm thinking (hoping) this one dies in committee tomorrow. Once I pull up tomorrow's legislative agenda for Senate Transport/Homeland Sec hearings, I may attend this to see it die way way way back in the pages of pending legislation. If somehow this crap makes it out to the Senate floor, and passes, then next would be a veto in mid June by Gov Perry.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking Georgia signed off on that free money for implementing motorcycle safety checks and found to be Illegal and now being sued. I would not be surprised if they are targeting motorcycles at general stops now just for retribution.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you want to learn about the Agenda being implemented for all of us ( if we let them) check out Patriot Alex Jones at www.infowars.com

Latest news "Federal Court says lawful for TSA Agents to patdown Prom Attendees in Texas". True story.

Keep believing that blanket checkpoints are for your own good. "Ignorance and Freedom cannot both exist."

Last edited by Tactical111; 05-23-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:18 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,070 Likes on 17,937 Posts

Originally Posted by orangevette
I'm thinking Georgia signed off on that free money for implementing motorcycle safety checks and found to be Illegal and now being sued. I would not be surprised if they are targeting motorcycles at general stops now just for retribution.

Could have a point there , local pd got it's tit in a wringer once and got sued pretty badly & publicly . Seems the guy they chose to roust was a power attorney somewhere and made a big point of keeping the all area media involved as he got busy . Local PD in return started busting ***** on anything with 2 wheels any excuse . Took a yr for that **** storm to settle down . But then again Georgia has always had a rep for screwing with travelers and bikes .

Old 05-23-2011, 06:16 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by vet767
It's called probable cause. My scooters have current plates, I am wearing my helmet in the states that require it, I am not driving erratically. There is a presumption of innocence in this country, or at least I thought so,but apparantly it does not matter to some. You pull me over you better tell me why and then issue a ticket if not, **** you cause you ain't gettin squat, and if that lands me in jail, so be it. If you are pulling everyone over for a "safety check, fine, but my license, (or lack thereof), my insurance and/or my registration aint none your damn business and has nuthin to do with SAFETY. Oh, and by the way, there are a number of threads like this that offer some good links to what is happening. These are MC only checkpoints, some even talk about them checking helmets for DOT compliance and GA does not require that a helmet be DOT certified. That's a fact and there are umpteen Google links to that.

Apparently you're a lawyer. I'm not, so I don't like to lecture others on the fine points of traffic law. I do know that road blocks/check points for sobriety and license checks are used in many many places. I've read, but can't cite any specific instances that as long as they stop all without regard for the usual, or presumably the type of vehicle they are driving/riding there isn't a Constitutional issue.

I haven't spent much time in your state. I guess the state police there must be very, very understanding. Adopting an attitude such as you describe above would most likely increase the level of your misery immediately.

Perhaps best that you stick with your stated plan to avoid Georgia. Refusing an officers request to show your license and insurance here, in conjunction with copping an attitude is going to get you a ride in a police car and some free meals from the county.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:34 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by nick@nite
Sorry dude your giving up your rights way to easy. As with 99% of government regulations or laws or fee's this is just the beginning if we let it be. It's about one thing money and the checkpoints on the way to Daytona were that a huge money grab.

Having served in the US Army during the early 70's it reminds me so much of the why it sucked to be a German citizen having to show your papers. Its not what our country is about and I whole heartily disagree and will not give up my rights that easy.
Where did I say that I was giving up any rights? Do I have a right to refuse a legal request to identify myself and present a license and proof of insurance? Were the people ostensibly fined on the way to Daytona victims of secret laws that were newly enacted as a "money grab", or were they breaking existing laws and just unlucky enough to get caught?

I spent two years in the Fulda Gap and I don't recall anyone having to show "papers." In the East that of course was different, but I hope you're not attempting to stretch a safety check point into a comparison with the DDR.

How do you propose to "not give up your rights"?
I'll assume that your freedom fighting extends to larger efforts than bitching about it on the internet. However, if your activism takes a little longer than "right now" what are you going to do if stopped by the police? Are you going to tell them "you'll never take me alive copper." I'll bet you show them your license and whatever else they ask for. You have to pick your fights.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Daddysnuck, you need to move to Communist China. You'd be right at home. We are AMERICANS where the Founding Fathers fought and died ( and so did my father) for the freedoms we are giving up daily. Those freedoms include the RIGHT to travel in this country unimpeded by PUBLIC SERVANTS unless they have PROBABLE CAUSE to stop, question, and search us.

I would submit that roving checkpoints stopping all vehicles IS a violation of the 4th Amendment; just read it.

Quick Reply: Let The Checkpoints Begin...