General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let The Checkpoints Begin...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by DEGRider
I think this is ware the posera help out , If they stop enough lawyers and doctors somebody might go to court on principle.

I hope the motorcycle communities around the nation don't wait for "someone else" to take action. There are grass roots programs seeking numbers to fight this crap now. Waiting for the spring weather lawyer riders is gonna be too late.

Write your US Senator and demand they support HR 904 which will block Fed funding of state initiated MOC (motorcycle only checkpoints). The Secretary of Transportation should not provide grants or funds that
allow for the discrimination of motorcyclists for roadside checks. Motorcyclists are better served by efforts that minimize injuries and fatalities by preventing crashes from occurring in the first place. The most efficient way of doing so is not through sporadic, discriminatory roadside checkpoints, but by decreasing the likelihood of crashes through education, training and awareness programs.

Last edited by Mi3ninos; 05-22-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:40 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

It is a riders paradise up there just back from there myself east Tenn also. Talked to a State trooper he was pretty darned cool talked about all the bike accidents etc, said mostly new riders and crotch rocketers but didnt seem to show of have any bias against b****rs in our conversation.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:50 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Its all about one thing and one thing only $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ please get involved and join your local and national ABATE or biker rights group. Next on the agenda is hockey pads, florescent gear and and safety flag on top of your giant helmet .

We used to say while on border patrol in Germany in the 70's thank God we live in America where we don't get stopped to show are papers....

Whats next a cop at biker events checking your papers before being allowed in.

Attached Thumbnails Let The Checkpoints Begin...-troops.jpg  
Old 05-22-2011, 07:54 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
But the Federal funding for these checkpoints comes directly from National Highway Safety Transportation Administration. They don't regulate insurance and license, that's state.
What can I tell you? I live in the area being discussed. I've been stopped many times, in my truck and on my bike. All they've asked me for is license and insurance card. Not withstanding, I suppose if you smell like a brewery, or have a big bag of marijuana sticking out of your pocket you might have an unpleasant experience with the State Patrol.

I'm not sure where the funding comes from for the license checks. However, they've been doing them for a long time, I seem to remember them on trips home back as far as the 70s. On the other hand, I do know that there is a special part of the State Patrol that is dedicated to checking only a specific type of vehicle. They have several cars patrolling the routes transiting the mountains. I suppose they would go after a bike that passes them at a hundred miles an hour, but the patrol that checks big trucks for safety seems to concentrate on getting big rigs through roads that they probably shouldn't be on as safely as possible.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
What can I tell you? I live in the area being discussed. I've been stopped many times, in my truck and on my bike. All they've asked me for is license and insurance card. Not withstanding, I suppose if you smell like a brewery, or have a big bag of marijuana sticking out of your pocket you might have an unpleasant experience with the State Patrol.

I'm not sure where the funding comes from for the license checks. However, they've been doing them for a long time, I seem to remember them on trips home back as far as the 70s. On the other hand, I do know that there is a special part of the State Patrol that is dedicated to checking only a specific type of vehicle. They have several cars patrolling the routes transiting the mountains. I suppose they would go after a bike that passes them at a hundred miles an hour, but the patrol that checks big trucks for safety seems to concentrate on getting big rigs through roads that they probably shouldn't be on as safely as possible.
I'm referring to recent years where the Feds have grants of $70k+ for local jurisdictions to set up MOC (motorcycle only checkpoints). If they took the money and set up checkpoints for ALL vehicles in the same stop then maybe its a different issue. But they specify bikes only. You're good with that?
Our NHSTA should not fund programs to fill gaps in local LE funding. Period

BTW the trucking industry is HIGHLY regulated. We are next unless we collectively say NO.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:14 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowRain
Was leading a ride for the dealership yesterday and hit a check point north of Dahlonega with about a dozen GA State Troopers. They were stopping everyone but in talking to one of the Troopers (and they were nice enough about the whole thing) they were targeting bikes. Checked license, insurance and tags.

So went on our merry way through Suches, Wolf Pen Gap, and then got on the Richard Russell Scenic Highway and 1 mile down the road...another check point. Same thing.... continued on and they had another check point at the other end of the RR Scenic Hwy for people coming the other way.

Went into Helen, ate lunch and headed south for home and they had set up still another check point on Hwy 400 northbound as it comes from 4 lanes into 2.

Let the inquisitions begin.
Exactly why GA is off my trip this summer. Call or write your representative in washington, there is a bill being discussed to take the money away from the NHTSA for use in "Motorcycle Safety Checks"

Old 05-22-2011, 08:52 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
I'm referring to recent years where the Feds have grants of $70k+ for local jurisdictions to set up MOC (motorcycle only checkpoints). If they took the money and set up checkpoints for ALL vehicles in the same stop then maybe its a different issue. But they specify bikes only. You're good with that?
Our NHSTA should not fund programs to fill gaps in local LE funding. Period

BTW the trucking industry is HIGHLY regulated. We are next unless we collectively say NO.
I remember there being a thread or two about MC only checkpoints around bikeweek time. $70K doesn't buy enough police action to saturate the state, I doubt much if any of that $70K made its way up here.

In any event, I've been through the stops being discussed and yes, I'm alright with them. Also, to reiterate, in my experience the stops are for all vehicles. One thing that none commenting in this thread have paused to ponder is exactly how, on narrow winding roads, the State Patrol could set up a bi-directional road check and be able to wave cars, trucks, RVs, etc. through while stopping bikes. Does that have the ring of reality?

Old 05-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I want to see a an Automobile only check point for Licence & Ins....

Funny they cant check to see if your a legal citizen in a lot of states....But they can pull a bike over....

Old 05-22-2011, 09:24 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't like being detained for a fishing expedition. If I am breaking the law then pull me over but checkpoints suck.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
I remember there being a thread or two about MC only checkpoints around bikeweek time. $70K doesn't buy enough police action to saturate the state, I doubt much if any of that $70K made its way up here.

In any event, I've been through the stops being discussed and yes, I'm alright with them. Also, to reiterate, in my experience the stops are for all vehicles. One thing that none commenting in this thread have paused to ponder is exactly how, on narrow winding roads, the State Patrol could set up a bi-directional road check and be able to wave cars, trucks, RVs, etc. through while stopping bikes. Does that have the ring of reality?
So you have been through one of these MOC NHTSA funded checkpoints in the past year? The funding can be granted of any jurisdiction. I am sure in GA there are thousands. So its not just $70k for the state. The one set up at the FL border catching bikes heading to Daytona was ... nothing more than a quick cash grab. The NHTSA's Motorcycle Law Enforcement Demonstration Grants now total $30 million. (A letter I got from David Strickland of NHTSA 11/2/2010 detailed this and said it was a few states) Georgia might well be a test state.
I am NOT for federal regulation of motorcycling.
Just my opinion and we'll respectfully disagree... shaking my head.

Quick Reply: Let The Checkpoints Begin...