General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let The Checkpoints Begin...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by woodworking1
Sooo, did they only check lic./reg./ins. and helmets? OR did they break out the decibel meters and tape measures?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Shouldn't they also check tire pressure, tread, spokes, bearings, etc. I mean it's a safety checkpoint, right?

Old 05-22-2011, 07:14 PM
woodworking1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
Shouldn't they also check tire pressure, tread, spokes, bearings, etc. I mean it's a safety checkpoint, right?
right, next thing you know, we will have to carry our maintenance records with us

Old 05-22-2011, 07:15 PM
JBourquin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
You Georgia rides need to watch the case pending in NY state supreme court. Get involved and join the US Defender program in GA.
http://usridernews.com/2011/02/18/mo...supreme-court/

Do you have an updated article? All I could find is this one...

Old 05-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Gubberment at its finest. Have checkpoints ever been challenged in the SCOTUS? Every time I read about any check point here in the US I flash back going through checkpoint charley into east berlin back in 84 and 86, frikken sad days in our country.
The US SC has upheld sobriety checkpoints. And those are for ALL vehicles, not selective

Old 05-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by JBourquin
http://usridernews.com/2011/02/18/mo...supreme-court/

Do you have an updated article? All I could find is this one...
No update that we're aware of. The US Defender program is watching it closely. I'm sure when a decision is made it will be forum news.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:20 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,066 Likes on 17,935 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Gubberment at its finest. Have checkpoints ever been challenged in the SCOTUS? Every time I read about any check point here in the US I flash back going through checkpoint charley into east berlin back in 84 and 86, frikken sad days in our country.

Did that in 88 on a harley , ya that was entertaining to say the least staring down the barrels of a couple T-72's at a few points .

Old 05-22-2011, 07:21 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Sounds like license and insurance checks. Pretty common technique around here. Those with a license and proof of insurance as required by law are quickly on their way. Those without most of the time are looking for an alternative way home.

For those not familiar with the area described, it is a riders paradise. People come from all over the country to ride here. Unfortunately there are a large number of riders that come here without the skills or experience needed to ride these roads. There is a body count virtually every weekend from May to October. If the local newspaper, the Atlanta TV and the police are to be believed, unlicensed riders are over represented among the numbers of dead and injured.

I'm pretty sure that the message being delivered by the cops is not "motorcycles not welcome." I know too many of them that ride themselves for this to be the case. For those that are always on the lookout for discrimination against bikers by "the fuzz" be comforted that the treatment of rich Atlanta types in Porsches, S2000s, etc. is even harsher.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:22 PM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is ware the posera help out , If they stop enough lawyers and doctors somebody might go to court on principle.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:29 PM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by woodworking1
Sooo, did they only check lic./reg./ins. and helmets? OR did they break out the decibel meters and tape measures?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Weren't the least bit interested in our exhaust systems...and if you read GA law carefully...the requirement to wear a DOT approved helmet is not clearly defined...though you have to have a helmet. I don't know that they have a law here regarding ape hangers...don't really care for them personally so it has never been a concern of mine.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
Sounds like license and insurance checks. Pretty common technique around here. Those with a license and proof of insurance as required by law are quickly on their way. Those without most of the time are looking for an alternative way home.

For those not familiar with the area described, it is a riders paradise. People come from all over the country to ride here. Unfortunately there are a large number of riders that come here without the skills or experience needed to ride these roads. There is a body count virtually every weekend from May to October. If the local newspaper, the Atlanta TV and the police are to be believed, unlicensed riders are over represented among the numbers of dead and injured.

I'm pretty sure that the message being delivered by the cops is not "motorcycles not welcome." I know too many of them that ride themselves for this to be the case. For those that are always on the lookout for discrimination against bikers by "the fuzz" be comforted that the treatment of rich Atlanta types in Porsches, S2000s, etc. is even harsher.

But the Federal funding for these checkpoints comes directly from National Highway Safety Transportation Administration. They don't regulate insurance and license, that's state.

Quick Reply: Let The Checkpoints Begin...