General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What trailer to haul your bike(s) on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an enclosed Cargo Mate Jr. Eliminator by Forest River custom made a couple of years ago. They removed the drop pan and made the floor level. They also added 1 foot to the height. I had two Condor wheel chocks and extra D rings installed in the floor and walls. It was a 7X14 with extra chrome and rock guards and diamond plate on it.

I used it to store our two bikes in over the winter and loved the trailer. I never got to tow it anywhere. My business slowed down and I sold it. Paid a little over $6000.00 and sold it for $5500.00. It did not move easy buy myself around in the barn but it was a great trailer.

That being said, last year my wife and I rode from Indiana to Yellowstone. 4 days out and 4 days back. spent 6 days in Cody Wy. Had one of the best vacations in our 38 years of marriage. One day I will have another trailer for all the right reasons for me.

I vote for the enclosed over the open trailer. I also owned a Bike Pro wheel chock once. It is more stable than the condor when you climb on and off. I am a big guy and I appreciate the Bike Pro more. Buy a good trailer and chock and you won't regret it.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Baxley Trailers and Chocks
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Meathook
I've owned a Baxley trailer for 6 years. While I don't use it very much, it is handy when you do need to haul the bike(s) somewhere. It also gets "borrowed" all the time.

While not enclosed, it has a shield to prevent damage from stuff on the roads - everything else washes off. In particular, it saved us a vacation when the first day was high winds and huge thunderstorms - got me and my GIB to our destination dry and on time 750 miles away!

Easy load and unload, tracks like a dream, and only cost me about 1/2 mpg pulling it at 80 behind the truck. American made (Dothan, AL) and superior workmanship.

Thanks for your vote of confidence.... We try very hard to make the best products on the market (trailers and chocks), and we do so right here in AMERICA.

Our trailers all tilt to the ground for super easy and fast loading/unloading (30 seconds). Plus, you only need to strap down the rear of the bike. Never compress your forks..... The chock clamps the tire as you drive in and holds the front wheel. You simply get off, strap rear and go....

Old 08-27-2011, 05:41 PM
kevmic28
Road Warrior

I have a 5x8 Big Tex trailer. Its heavy duty not one of those cheap *** lawn trailers you see in that size. I can run 3 dirtbikes across on it or 2 full size street bikes on it and never feel it behind me. I have hauled it many times across the country and have never had an issue.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:51 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

After 4yrs of owning our bike, I took my first long vacation,, 5 days and 1600 miles...

IMO the fun of riding to and from our destinations is more than 1/2 the fun of the ride..

Trailering a bike somewhere and then riding once U get there is again (IMO) is not realizing the full potential of the ride to begin with.

I'll not put anyone down for trailering, but I will add there missing out on the best part of a long ride...

Old 08-27-2011, 09:52 PM
kevmic28
Road Warrior

yeah the ride is great but how do you do it when you need to move more than one bike at a time. I have a flat bed on my truck and use my trailer to haul my bikes.
Hopefully within the next year Ill have a Fuzion toyhauler to haul the bikes with when I cant ride.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:33 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MCHOGG
Please disregard the comments you wil get such as:
Trailers are for boats.
If you see my bike on a trailers it's been stolen.
Haha when I read the first post, I was wondering how long it would be before these types of answers started lmao

Old 08-27-2011, 10:39 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

There is nothing wrong with trailering your bike.

I've got two trailers, one a 16 footer that I use to haul my tractor around and a smaller 12 footer with sideboards. I do believe if I were to trailer my bike somewhere I would hook up the 12 footer. They are both dual axels which I consider to be a real bonus.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:11 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
After 4yrs of owning our bike, I took my first long vacation,, 5 days and 1600 miles...

IMO the fun of riding to and from our destinations is more than 1/2 the fun of the ride..

Trailering a bike somewhere and then riding once U get there is again (IMO) is not realizing the full potential of the ride to begin with.

I'll not put anyone down for trailering, but I will add there missing out on the best part of a long ride...
Originally Posted by kevmic28
yeah the ride is great but how do you do it when you need to move more than one bike at a time. I have a flat bed on my truck and use my trailer to haul my bikes.
Hopefully within the next year Ill have a Fuzion toyhauler to haul the bikes with when I cant ride.
I've got a trailer that I bought from a guy that used to be a pop up camper. He kept the original floor, so I just made my own out of that. It's relatively lightweight and pulls great. I got it for dirt cheap and building it only cost a couple hundred in parts and some quality time with the boy.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:39 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Baxley SBX09 looks like a great trailer, but $4650? That's a lot of coin for an open single trailer.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

A few years ago, I picked up a Loadright open trailer, use it for tons of stuff, better than owning a pickup. It's a 5X10, and tilts for easier loading. Cost me $1050 (new).
with a fold up ramp. I also just picked up a used 6X10 single axle enclosed with a ramp, $1200 on craigslist. It was a lucky buy, I noticed the ad 20 mins after it was posted, and went right over to buy it. The guy said "good thing you came quickly,
as 10 more people want it now, some even offered him more money, but the guy was cool, and sold it for his low listed price. Also use it to store the lawn tractor in the winter, makes more room in the barn for my bikes.

Quick Reply: What trailer to haul your bike(s) on?