General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What trailer to haul your bike(s) on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Jbizzle
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just bought an enclosed 6x12 to haul two wide glides. They fit, but with not much room left over. If I had it do over again, I woulda listened to my buddies advice about buying a trailer with tandem axles. The 6x12 pulls nice, but it does seem to bounce around alot.

In a perfect world, I would never trailer my bikes. But my husband has back problems from jumping outta airplanes and helicopters for many years in the army. 12 hours on a bike to reach our destination, isn't comfortable for him and if he isn't comfortable, then he ain't happy. You guys can say what you want about people who trailer their scoots, it won't bother me one bit. We are working class people who can only take off a week to ten days at a time. Whats the fun in hauling *** to get to some place and turning around and hauling *** back cause your pressed for time.

Just my .02 worth.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:04 PM
hdtwice
Road Master

Originally Posted by Snarly
Why would you think that? If you have any backbone of your own
you'd realize that some do as they please, only the "sheeple" follow
along blindly.

hmmm? what in the fvck are you talking about?

Let's review shall we.....Twisted biker said this will go sideways fast meaning these trailer threads usually do between the trailer and don't trailer groups...I too was thinking that and then came upon his post and said as much....

I then read your post to me.....again, what in the Fvck are you talking about with me?

Old 05-22-2011, 11:10 PM
primdl
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ken b
I am thinking about buying a trailer to haul my bike on and want something that can carry 2 bikes, easy to load and light weight. The trailer needs to be able to carry 2 Ultra's if that ever happens to be what I carry on it.

Looking for suggestions.
I bought one of these trailers about 5 years ago. Great product, truly 1 person loading, and you can't baby your bike more than the ride they get with this suspension. PM me if you need more info.
http://www.adventuresportsproducts.com/index.cfm

Old 05-22-2011, 11:26 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Sweet
We have 2 trailers. My husband has a really hard time getting time off from work so ridding 2-3 days to get to our event would just eat up his time off, plus we still have 2 kids at home and they go with us about 80% of the time & a hyper active boxer.

Both of our trailers are bumper pull so I can pull with my large SUV or hubbys truck.
The first trailer is just a dove tail car hauler that he put removable wheel holder things on. We have used it many time no problems and when we get home he takes off the wheel thing and has his car hauler back to drag home more projects.

The other trailer we just got about 2 months ago and we will take it on our first outing this weekend.

It is a toy hauler by Thor it is the Harley edition picked it up used.
It has a very nice bath room small kitchen area (with teenaged boys you have to cook) and will sleep max of 6,
2 queen beds (that go up in the roof) and 2 twins that fold up against the wall.

It is a tight fit but it will haul 3 bikes, we fit 1 Ultral limited, 1 Police model, and my Fatboy.

We are taking it out this weekend and I hope it is as much fun as I think it will be.

I guess you can tell from this never ending post that I am excited to give it a try.
I plan to retire in 2 years and get a toy hauler to take the bike places and have a place to stay also. How long is your new trailer and what size pick-up is needed. I expect to find a slightly used 3/4T diesel in the next year for my future purchase.

Hope you enjoy your accomodations, I am looking forward to when I can.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:15 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

I have an enclosed Thule v nose aluminum works great, use it more for moving or picking up other folks junk. But when need to Trailer the bike it works great. Might invest in one of those Condor wheel chocks. Anybody use one of those in their trailer?

Old 05-23-2011, 04:26 AM
Meathook
Cruiser

I've owned a Baxley trailer for 6 years. While I don't use it very much, it is handy when you do need to haul the bike(s) somewhere. It also gets "borrowed" all the time.

While not enclosed, it has a shield to prevent damage from stuff on the roads - everything else washes off. In particular, it saved us a vacation when the first day was high winds and huge thunderstorms - got me and my GIB to our destination dry and on time 750 miles away!

Easy load and unload, tracks like a dream, and only cost me about 1/2 mpg pulling it at 80 behind the truck. American made (Dothan, AL) and superior workmanship.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:44 AM
vonzoog
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ultra Rider 07
I have an enclosed Thule v nose aluminum works great, use it more for moving or picking up other folks junk. But when need to Trailer the bike it works great. Might invest in one of those Condor wheel chocks. Anybody use one of those in their trailer?

I have/use a Condor wheel chock. There may be more out there that are as good, but none could work any better.

I can ride my Street Glide up the ramp and straight into the Condor. It "grabs hold" of the bike. I get off the bike, no jiffy stand need. Attach two tiedown straps forward. That is all that is needed. All this is done by myself without any assistance. Nice and easy. A little pricey, but built to high qualiy and standards.

It is also nice to be able to load quickly and easily after a long day of riding and you have to travel a long way to get home.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:56 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,093 Likes on 351 Posts

That's what I want to get...eventually. About a 20-22 ft bike hauler, with a small kitchen, beds, bathroom etc, etc.

One of these days, so we can load up, go to a KOA for a week or so ride around see the sights...load up, another KOA..and so on and so on.

ken b, thanks for your service, I feel your pain...literally. Almost the same boat...22yrs of SF will eat ya up..

Old 05-23-2011, 09:36 AM
bamarider
Tourer

I have the drop tail trailer. I pull it behind the motorhome on long trips. It works very well. The back end is hydraulic and it stores against the wall in the garage.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:02 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing I was thinking about with the enclosed trailer is that if you decide to stay at a camp ground, you have something better than a tent to stay in - just throw in a couple of cots and once you unload the motorcycles you have an instant camper.

So, the advantages of a trailer are:
Can go farther, faster in a truck towing a trailer, once the ride gets over 500-600 miles.
Trailer doubles as a tent for camping
Can take bikes for repair, if I ever need to
Trailer also works for moving other stuff or to double as a tent for deer/turkey season

Looks like a good ivestment, if I can scrape up a couple of thousand.

Quick Reply: What trailer to haul your bike(s) on?