General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mountainfest 2011 "beware"

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:20 AM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yet Another Checkpoint Thread ...
Boycotts only work if the boycottees know that they're losing money because of their action/inaction to correct a wrong.

Folks, if you don't like what the government is doing...
Write a letter
Send an email
Make a phone call (better yet, do all three)
Stop in to your elected representative's office, make an appointment, and voice your concerns.
Write a Letter to the Editor
Hit the checkpoint, circle back around, and hit it again. Rinse and repeat for a couple of hours. Insist that the last check be as thorough as the first one.
Get several friends together with some spare helmets. Pull off the highway a couple of miles up the road from the ckeckpoint with a sign that says "Loaner DOT Helmets." Have a pickup truck just downstream of the checkpoint for people to drop off the helmets.
Get LOTS of friends together and stop on the highway just upstream of the checkpoint. Sit there a couple of hours.
Get some friends with trailers. Let incoming bikers know you'll trailer their bike past the checkpoint.
REALLY freak the LEOs out, and pack icewater. Give the LEOs cold drink and kind word as they sweat.
Notify the press in advance, then get a bunch of bikes to ride past the checkpoint without stopping. Be willing to pay a fine or go to jail for the chance to stand up in court for your rights (and mine).

Or... whine about the loss of your rights.

Or ... whine about it when they come for you.

First they came for the communists (or worse, straight-pipe-having bikers),
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist (and my pipes were legal).

Then they came for the trade unionists (or worse, novelty helmet-wearing bikers),
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist (and my helmet is SNELL, not just DOT!).

Then they came for the Jews (or worse, the guy with no reflectors on his bike),
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew (and my bike is bone stock).

Then they came for me (because everyone else got tired of the crap and sold their bikes)
and there was no one left to speak out for me.
(with apologies to Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984))

Old 05-27-2011, 09:59 PM
WVRoughrider
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

losing way to much freedom to the gov. have no respect for them.R.I.P. Derek Hale.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:25 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone see where this is going? Welcome to America. Welcome to BIG Government. Wont be long before you cant even walk down the street without a passport or checkpoint.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:40 AM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Money talks. Just like Myrtle Beach. They got what they wanted. They killed the cash cow right at the start of the worst recession since the 1930's. They got less tax collected, higher unemployment and everything that goes with it. But they won? MB is not that great of a destination to ride a motorcycle. There are other places that like motorcycles and the money that comes with them.

WV Tourism is pro motorcycle. Maybe a letter stating your spending your vacation somewhere else this summer because of "motorcycle only" checkpoints. A loss of revenue not to mention the expense of checkpoints tying up the LEOs twittling their thumbs at those deserted checkpoints. They gave a party and nobody showed up may cause a rethink.

I traveled through Ga to get to Daytona. I missed the checkpoints on I-95 because I take backroads anyway. I avoided spending money in Georgia.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:40 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Glad to read some stuff from "bikers"; the rest of you probably oughtta go treat the blisters on your widdle fingers caused by sitting at the keyboard and spewing your "I'd rather be a slave" tripe.

If you're in a club - RC, MC, VMC, whatever - you need to be in your area's version of a CoC.

If you're an independent you need to join whatever local MRO exists in your area. If you have a CoC, then they have an arm for independents, COIR - Coalition of Independent Riders. There's ABATE, etc. Get involved!

If you choose to not get involved then I turn my back to you. Far as I am concerned you are equivalent to a puke on welfare who works the system and rips off the rest of us. Screw you.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:58 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic Eagle
Does anyone see where this is going? Welcome to America. Welcome to BIG Government. Wont be long before you cant even walk down the street without a passport or checkpoint.
True, but the worst part is, it isn't just America. Every civilized country in the world (anything we wouldn't call "third world") has less freedom than us, which is why we can't just move to some place better. We're still the greatest country on earth - greatest just ain't what it used to be.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:02 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

So, why don't all you "real bikers" get together and just don't stop at these checkpoints? Go to court, state your case, see what happens. Or, all you keyboard commandos could pull a flash mob at one of these checkpoints? That'll show them how tough you really are!
I think they should be for all vehicles myself, but they won't stop me from going anywhere and having fun.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:40 AM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Don't go where you are not wanted. And organize to take back our country from those on both sides of the aisle who are destroying our way of life...

Old 05-28-2011, 08:41 AM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
True, but the worst part is, it isn't just America. Every civilized country in the world (anything we wouldn't call "third world") has less freedom than us, which is why we can't just move to some place better. We're still the greatest country on earth - greatest just ain't what it used to be.
Sorry, but Japan feels much freer than the USA. Europe blows, especially Britain. They gave up their freedom years ago. We are heading that way much faster than most realize...

Old 05-28-2011, 08:51 AM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How come they only do thees stops in the south??laconia is coming up in a few weeks.the state of nh would not allow it,fearing they would loose money to an already poor state.they welcome tourist and bikers dollars and have been doing this rally since 1916 without such stops,you sothern states must have money to fund it????

Quick Reply: Mountainfest 2011 "beware"