General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mountainfest 2011 "beware"

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 06:13 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Obey the law, ride legal, don't ride drunk, and don't worry about it.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:23 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,355 Likes on 2,534 Posts

i have a hard time getting my head wrapped around this. let me get this straight... are you guys bikers or what? motorcycle only checkpoints are harassment, plain and simple. yes, i am legal, but i still do not agree with doing them. i know it doesn't fit the 'technical' definition, but it is profiling, and should be illegal. this would be akin to pulling over every suv and checking them out.

you guys are way to quick to give up your rights.

oh, and for those guys that say, it only takes a minute, if there are 100 bikes ahead of you, well, you're gonna be there a little while.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:31 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by midnight2005
Mountainfest 2011 in coming up here in Morgantown WV for the last weekend of july. There will be bands such as Montgomery Gentry, Ted Nugent, Grand Funk Railroad, Molley Hatchet and of course The local Davisson Brothers band. Lots of attractions to attract biker and we can not forget the Coal Bucket Saloon. But there is another thing going on here also, it seems like Morgantown is jumping on the bandwagon with Motorcycle only checkpoints!
This is just rumer that I heard today, however it was also stated there have been 2 just off the interstate already. There is a large sign when coming into WV from Pa. about wearing a dot helmet on the billboard.
If you come, make sure you wear a dot helmet, have your mc endorsement and the bike is legal.
Here is the web sight address http://www.wvmountainfest.com/index.php
Tripple S is the main sponsor, I say we flood their email box and Tripple S's email also. Let them know we will boycott and not buy anything from Morgantown or Tripple S as along as this is going on. I know Tripple S is not doing this but they can back us up or lose our buisness. They have the pull in morgantown!
Fail to see what is the fuss about this whole rant, Obey the law, pay for your insurance and registration and have fun. Easy as that.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:41 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds to me like Morgantown has lost any business I may have given them....for life.

Vote with your wallet.

fk 'em.

~Joe

Old 05-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Kanebanger
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never been through one of these motorcycle checkpoints that I hear people talking about and was wondering what they consist of? Do they just make sure you have a license and insurance? Or do they also bust out tape measures on handlebars and decibel meters on exhaust?

Old 05-22-2011, 06:57 PM
woodworking1
Road Master

I have a hard time with this whole thing! I'm kinda ok with them checking license/reg. and insurance. And I can even wear a DOT lid, But for pete's sake, check us all, cages included! But I draw the line at the old bait and switch. Making us all stop under false pretenses just to check our handlebars and pipes in the hopes they can write us a ticket! It would be easier to just build a toll booth and make us all pay 5 bucks to enter. The money saved in OT for the LEO's would pay for the toll booth. And no one can cry foul.
I wonder what the bureau of tourism would think if they targeted vacationing cagers as they enterd the state.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:00 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can not believe people. "just obey the law bla bla" Is not about obeying the law. Why do they not have to obey the law? This is just another step in taking away out rights. What are you going to say when they can come into your home and inspect anytime they want? will you bitch then? What about if they can just pull you over just to check you out? search you for whatever they can find? would you bitch then? I believe this country was founded on fighting for our rights.... or am I wrong?

and yes, Tripple S and Mountainfest will not do anything until they lose profits, but they are the ones with the power to do something. Might be as simple as a phone call for them.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i have a hard time getting my head wrapped around this. let me get this straight... are you guys bikers or what? motorcycle only checkpoints are harassment, plain and simple. yes, i am legal, but i still do not agree with doing them. i know it doesn't fit the 'technical' definition, but it is profiling, and should be illegal. this would be akin to pulling over every suv and checking them out.

you guys are way to quick to give up your rights.

oh, and for those guys that say, it only takes a minute, if there are 100 bikes ahead of you, well, you're gonna be there a little while.

What rights are they giving up? Why is it harassment? I am an airline pilot, when the FAA ramp checks only airplanes, is that profiling?

Old 05-22-2011, 07:07 PM
woodworking1
Road Master

Originally Posted by Challenger
What rights are they giving up? Why is it harassment? I am an airline pilot, when the FAA ramp checks only airplanes, is that profiling?
lol, it would be if there were any other kind of vehicles on the ramp.

Last edited by woodworking1; 05-22-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:23 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,355 Likes on 2,534 Posts

Originally Posted by Challenger
and here i thought airline pilot's had to be intelligent...... i guess i'll be doing a lot less flying from now on too

lets see, you don't consider it harassment when you are driving down the road, minding your own business, and get pulled over and have to show 'your papers' for no reason? well, this is basically the same thing.

what rights? well, how about unlawful search and seizure for one?

you can't stop someone for a traffic violation and ask them about their immigration status, but you can stop a whole group of people and make them prove their legal?

Quick Reply: Mountainfest 2011 "beware"