General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never Ridden - What Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:35 PM
BigD629
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petewerner
I talked my neighbor into buying a Harley. He had ridden Honda Dirt bikes in the 1970's. Well long story turned short, crashed it the the 1st time he rode it, almost took his leg off. I fixed it with a couple of grand worth of parts. The next time he tried to ride it after 3 months of healing. He rode around the loop in the neighbor hood in first, but couldn't figure out how to stop it and couldn't lean it far enough to turn and ended up in a hedge.... To me it is simple because I have been riding for 40 years, to him, clutch, brakes, throttle and turning is too much. He has promised to take the class before he gets on it again. Moral of the story is this, I will never tell anyone they can ride a scooter, much less a 600-700+ lbs. of Harley. It may seem easy to u, watching others do it, and yeah u rode dirt bikes, so did my neighbor. When he was in surgery and they were putting pins and screws in to hold his leg together and 136 stitches and I had to sit there with his wife and explain what happened. I felt and still feel like an *** for trying to have a riding buddy when I didn't vet his skills first. Sure he's fun and likes alot of the same stuff, but man what a mess...
Wow, that sucks. He must not of rode much. Riding a dirt bike once or twice really doesn't count as riding experiance. I'm talking about years of riding and racing motocross and cross country and enduro's. I had to give it up due to injuries. Never rode a street bike, but when I got the urge to ride again, I thought a street bike would be safer for me than another Dirt bike. Everyone is different, but I never felt intimidated by the big bike. I've rode over 8000 miles and feel very comfortable with it. I think it's up to the individual rider to know if they have the skills and competance to ride. If not then start small and move up. The first thing I learned in racing motocross is to ride in control and never push it beyond your comfort level, thats when bad things happen.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you've ridden before I don't see a reason you can't handle one of those bikes taking the proper care to learn the bike before you get too brave with it

Old 05-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I purchased the very model scoot first time around that I wanted to be on. As an aging rider with many years previous experience to draw from, I just took my time getting used to my new to me scoot. I've wanted a E Glide since the age of four or five, from watching the Schriner's do their figure eight moves in our Christmas parades. So I figure why settle for anything less than what I have envisioned myself on.
Jus sayin!
I also purchased used where I figured the po would have had all the potential issues already taken care of, of which I have been lucky to date. My compensator is starting to loosen however and I will need new chain tensioners soon, but service is the key to reliability and longevity right?
My $0.02

aka Bob

Old 05-22-2011, 04:52 PM
petewerner
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RLJ676
Take the MSF course, if it goes well buy whatever you want. *1

I haven't ridden a bike (RM80) since I was 16. At 30 now I took the MSF and bought a Street Glide. It's been a blast and no reason to buy something you don't want just to resell and lose money on.

You know if you're above avg size, strength, and coordination which will impact your ability to pick riding it quick. If you "ride dirtbikes" but terribly, maybe start small otherwise you can do it *2.

*1 X2
*2 Those r all important in my veiw of telling someone being this way gives u the best odds of learning successfully, ie not almost losing a leg or worse.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:12 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts

Rent the bike you think you might want for a weekend. If it feels right, buy it. If it scares the $h*t out of you, but you still want a bike, look at a sporty or a metric to get your skills back up. But like others have said, it would be a shame to waste a season on a bike you don't really like. Just don't go and crash a brand new Harley because you're in a rush to ride.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:22 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

I think you should take the msf course
then go sit on a road king and see how
she feels to you

Old 05-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Hog Hvn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also had never owned a bike and had the same questions as you do. I took the MSF course then went to buy my very first bike. I ordered a 2007 Road King Classic and loved my decision. My salesman at the dealership helped me a lot. I now have a Streetglide and love it as well. Just sit on them and see what feels better to you as for riding position. Either choice will be a good one.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:56 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 274 Posts

My wife and one of my best friends both bought HD's for first bikes...having ridden dirt bikes years ago. I insisted they take the MSF course; both did; both are doing fine...wife has a Low Rider (15k without incident including Sturgis and some east coast cities) and buddy bought a CVO Street Glide...he now packs his wife...just take it easy at first...

Old 05-23-2011, 08:06 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

lot of members just buy a used one to start on.