General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scala G4

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:59 PM
pavin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scala G4

Any one out there have a scala g4, and if so how do you like it?

Old 05-21-2011, 08:33 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,176 Likes on 6,713 Posts

Don't have one, and I like it. A lot.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:47 PM
chrisangie
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me and the wife use them bike to bike, and we are pleased with them. We never ride without them.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:10 PM
pavin
Tourer

Chrisangie, do you and your wife have any problems staying connected? My wife and I are looking for a bike to bike connection. I've heard they loose connection intermittently, but still look like one of the best setups out there.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:13 PM
pilgrim08
Tourer

Originally Posted by chrisangie
Me and the wife use them bike to bike, and we are pleased with them. We never ride without them.
Have any problem with wind noise coming through the head set?

Old 05-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Hobe
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read a recent review that has the Sena units as their top rated pick, biggest difference from Scala was no open intercom communications. You can talk to multiple units but you selec the unit you comm with independant from other units.

Planning on trying a set of these myself based on the reviews and user comments I have seen on other forums.

Hobe

Old 05-21-2011, 11:55 PM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master

I know you asked about Scala but thought I'd through this out.
A few friends and I use the Interphone system made by Blueant.
Connectivity between units - Excellent
Range - Excellent
Pairing with phone or other Bluetooth device - Excellent
Phone volume - Excellent/Music - Very good
Sound quality - Excellent
Battery life - Excellent
Ease of use - Good
Customer Service - Fair

Overall I absolutely love the unit and it has few shortcomings which makes it dependable and enjoyable even after 2 seasons worth of use. The biggest downside is customer service. Ordering accessories is easily accomplished but I would urge you to buy from a dealer instead of directly from Blueant directly.
Hope this helps you decide on a unit that works for you.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:12 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 65 Posts

I bought a set of the Scala G4's Used them a couple of days and took them back. Bought the Sena units and love them. The problems we had with the G4's. There are 5 separate buttons to operate most of the functions. Summer when you are wearing fingerless gloves, it is pretty easy to feel the buttons. Winter with big padded gloves, it is nearly impossible to feel them. Unless you are wearing a full faced helmet and have quiet exhaust, the VOX is worthless, you need the push to talk. To use the bluetooth to your iPod, you need to use 2 buttons to fast forward or rewind, and again, volume up and down are two different buttons. The Sena units have 1 big **** on the side. Tap it in to intercom. Hold it in to pause your mp3. Twist forward for louder, twist back for quiet. push and twist fast forward / rewind. Bike to bike intercom usually works if you can see the other bike. I'm guessing 1/4 mile on a straight run. I've run 6+ hours listening to bluetooth music and the batteries stayed charged.

When the guy is demo-ing the Scala, while looking at the buttons it is easy to operate, just remember when you are using them you can't see the unit, and will probably have gloves on.

Just my opinion

Old 05-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Northern Cowboy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Wife and I use the Scala G4's for bike to bike - but only on longer trips. We really like them. They take a bit of getting used to but I would buy them again.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:02 AM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have had the G4's for about a year used for bike to bike. Range is good, up to 1/2 mile with no obstructions. the only issue we have had is sometimes the VOX is hard to turn on. It has 3 settings and you need to play with them based on your helmet and pipes. wife has a modular and I use a open face. her pipes do not effect her vox.

The one thing I do not like is that even with the G4 removed to charge the mike is still on the helmet. I have 2 helmets now, one for use with the G4 and one for when I am not riding with the wife. It would be nice if the mike boom came off easily too.

Have not used others but we are happy with the G4.

Quick Reply: Scala G4