General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mushroom Head!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:53 AM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mushroom Head!

I was in Omaha yesterday and looked all over that town for a decent helmet. I had no luck at all. Every helmet I tried on gave me mushroom head. I was lookin online this morning and came across a Vega XTS naked helmet. It got some good reviews and has the plain straps ...not the 1.5" wide padded straps which I hate. Does anybody have one? How are they sized? on the money or run big or small?

Old 05-21-2011, 10:56 AM
SJ58
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've looked at lots of helmets and if they're DOT they all seem to look like mushroom head. Especially if you have an XL head!

Old 05-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Clutch70
Road Master

Ahh yes the dreaded Mushroom head!! I feel your pain, sorry i dont have any info on the helmet. Good luck

Old 05-21-2011, 11:05 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Great Gazoo.
I watched him on cartoons as a kid.
Little did I know I would end up looking like him as an adult....

Last edited by HarleyRanger; 05-21-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:33 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a DOT rated helmet, you're gonna end up with the mushroom head. Don't get me wrong....I don't give a **** if you wear no helmet, a novelty helmet, a DOT helmet, or fukn garbage can over your head. I'm not starting an argument about government mandates....just discussing the realities of head injury physics.

The reason they're so big is that they way they work is by controlling the rate of deceleration your brain goes through when your head is stopped suddenly by impact....the helmet does so by the use of crushable (not rebounding) foam. This is why novelty helmets are about as useful as no helmet....though they might keep you from getting a citation in the jurisdictions that mandate the wearing of helmets).

Most fatal head injuries from vehicle accidents do not involve penetrations of the victim's skull....it is the swelling of the brain from damage caused when it impacts the inside of your skull too forcefully that commonly results in rapid death (from subdural hematoma).

And, once again...I could care less about anybody's decision to wear a helmet or not. We all make decisions about what level of risk we're willing to take when we take a ride on a fairly risky type of transportation, bite into the big and delicious bacon covered hamburger, or pork some questionable bar bimbo. You get to decide for yourself whether the pleasure is worth the potential downside!

Last edited by krusty1; 05-21-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:38 PM
jbyun
Road Captain

Even if you look like you have a huge mushroom head in the mirror it doesn't look that bad when you're on the bike. Besides most people will be checking out the hardware and not the skinware

Old 05-21-2011, 12:40 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a full face modular. They actually look less like mushrooms to me because of the aerodynamic streamlining. JMO.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:31 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well Said!
Originally Posted by krusty1
If you want a DOT rated helmet, you're gonna end up with the mushroom head. Don't get me wrong....I don't give a **** if you wear no helmet, a novelty helmet, a DOT helmet, or fukn garbage can over your head. I'm not starting an argument about government mandates....just discussing the realities of head injury physics.

The reason they're so big is that they way they work is by controlling the rate of deceleration your brain goes through when your head is stopped suddenly by impact....the helmet does so by the use of crushable (not rebounding) foam. This is why novelty helmets are about as useful as no helmet....though they might keep you from getting a citation in the jurisdictions that mandate the wearing of helmets).

Most fatal head injuries from vehicle accidents do not involve penetrations of the victim's skull....it is the swelling of the brain from damage caused when it impacts the inside of your skull too forcefully that commonly results in rapid death (from subdural hematoma).

And, once again...I could care less about anybody's decision to wear a helmet or not. We all make decisions about what level of risk we're willing to take when we take a ride on a fairly risky type of transportation, bite into the big and delicious bacon covered hamburger, or pork some questionable bar bimbo. You get to decide for yourself whether the pleasure is worth the potential downside!

Old 05-21-2011, 02:23 PM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you like a retro look check out the Bell Custom 500s. They are pretty thin. BTW, I think only the rider notices the mushroom head on a half helmet, no one else will.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:28 PM
king dawg
Cruiser

The naked Vega XTS is pretty small. Not near as much mushrooming as others. I have one, but my Outlaw AX300something is even smaller.

Quick Reply: Mushroom Head!