General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eliminating Road Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 06:50 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
...I'm sure I'll be behind the bars of a HD trike someday - when I can't hold-up a 2-wheeler...JMO.
Everybody makes their own choice. Personally, trikes don't appeal to me, and I think when I can't hold up a two-wheeler I'll just retire from riding.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:56 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JBourquin
Why would I do that, you just proved my point...
we are on the same page ...the license test is a joke ..
I was refering to those that thought it was necessary to learn to ride to pass the test.no-one cares

why dont we eliminate the test , and just have proof of age , and send the government $$$
we could eliminate all the bldgs, and personell from the state's budget.
just a thought.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Best thing PA did was make the MSF course free. I got my liscense almost 3 years ago. Learning to ride was a joy, but i felt like an idiot I stalled that thing so many times.

I don't know how taking the liscense test on the MSF course is any better though.

I mean to manuever a 250cc GZ250 is like nothing compared to even a sportster.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:09 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 83 Posts

well in Texas , they passed a law that you "must take a "approved "motorcycle safety course to get a endorsment.(effective 9-1- 09)

These are private ,and cost 200-350 to take the course..
talk about back-scratching revenue??
Now not only the state gets more $$ , but so does their buddy who has a approved school...

another thing is ,it cost extra to renew your endorsment ..
now how much does it cost to type a 'M' on the license??
guess about 12 bucks ....
all about revenue ..

Old 05-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took my test on a 1975 Honda CB550K. Its what I owned at the time. Passed it first time @99% without a safety course.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:15 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
if you had your endorsement, why did you take the test again?
I had stopped riding for about ten years and no longer had the M endorsement

Old 05-21-2011, 08:42 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Why do you tink HD now makes trikes...?? Gives people options so why not accept them for what they are...I'm sure I'll be behind the bars of a HD trike someday - when I can't hold-up a 2-wheeler...JMO.
My cuzz who's 61 and had rode over 40yrs, did that yesterday.. Bought a Ultra last yr. Has dropped it 4-5 times getting out of the shed, the last time he busted up his ankle this spring. Now hes getting a Trike.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:06 AM
BBBSS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many of you guys complaining about this (I agree, to a point) now ride a big bagger, and originally took your test on a similar sized bike?

Most start out on smaller bikes and move up as skills increase. I know I had 3 bikes before my Harley all progressively bigger/faster (well, the Harley is a lot slower, but much bigger, and nicer!)

I got my M certification a couple weeks ago after riding for years on a permit only. me I know. I used a rebel 250 though as I didn't want to do my best impersonation of a bike cop scraping foot rests side to side around these tight turns they want you to do. The apes probably would make that even more interesting to boot.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:24 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

In ND you can not take the test on a 49cc scooter. They actually do not require a motorcycle endorsement at all. You have to be on a 125 or higher to take the test.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:51 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BBBSS
How many of you guys complaining about this (I agree, to a point) now ride a big bagger, and originally took your test on a similar sized bike?

Most start out on smaller bikes and move up as skills increase. I know I had 3 bikes before my Harley all progressively bigger/faster (well, the Harley is a lot slower, but much bigger, and nicer!)

I got my M certification a couple weeks ago after riding for years on a permit only. me I know. I used a rebel 250 though as I didn't want to do my best impersonation of a bike cop scraping foot rests side to side around these tight turns they want you to do. The apes probably would make that even more interesting to boot.
I was 18 years old at the time I took my motor test. I took my motor test on a 1000cc Moto Guzzi G5. It had a Windjammer III fairing and hard saddle bags. Oh yeah.... It also had red and blue lights and a siren. The bike weighed in at about 750lbs. I weighed in at about 150lbs.

The test giver said, "You know you can take this on a moped right?"

Quick Reply: Eliminating Road Test