General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eliminating Road Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 02:26 PM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My first Motorcycle endorsement was in Tn. I failed the written test by one question, never took the riding section and they gave me my license anyway. It helps to flirt with the girls.
Another location in Tn, I passed the written and then rode the bike around the building to pass the road test.
NC, just changed it from Tn to NC, no test. Renewal was written test only, no road test.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Daddy-O
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rh8234
The guy administering the test asked me how I got the bike there for my test (because it would have been illegal for me to ride it there without the M classification on my license. I was supposed to have a licensed rider ride the bike there according to him).
I had that happen when I took the test in Colorado. I told him I pushed the bike there. It was a Yamaha XT500 enduro. I passed the test.

I took the riding test again when I moved to California and passed on my Yamaha Virago but it wasn't easy.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:38 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rode my bike to the dps here to take the written and driving skills test a long time ago. Seems like it was one honk of the horn to go left and two honks of the horn to go right. I was asked how the bike got there---my reply was carefully. They just smiled and let it go.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:50 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Can't believe they let me drive a pick-up truck without a CDL. (I know, I'm just a poser wishing I had 14 more wheels.)

Here if you test on a trike (or hack), you get a restriction limiting you to 3 wheels.
Test on anything under 151ccs will get you a class L, motor driven cycles up to 150ccs.
Seems fair to me.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:03 PM
JBourquin
Road Master

Originally Posted by k&j eglide
Why do you care? The fact that the manufacturer of the Spyder recognizes that a lot of people may be intimidated by the sport of motorcycles and is actively marketing an alternative to two wheels should be a good thing. I doubt anyone sold their Harley to buy one anyway. Maybe this will bring people into the sport that wouldn't be otherwise. We all started from scratch. I bet a lot of people on Harleys today don't have endorsements and couldn't pass a road test.
You obviously missed my point. I have nothing against 3-wheeled cycles. I'd actually love to take one for a ride. What I have a problem with is people taking their test on one just because it's "easy" then jumping on a bike they can't handle. Yes there are many people out there without endorsements, but at least if they cause an accident, they'll get a ticket for unlicensed operation which is much greater than a traffic violation.. Or, they'll get picked up at a checkpoint and removed from the road. Now, while they're handing out licenses like they're free, the worst they'll get is a traffic violation and allowed to pass right through any checkpoint just because they're "legal".

Originally Posted by piasspj
Can't believe they let me drive a pick-up truck without a CDL. (I know, I'm just a poser wishing I had 14 more wheels.)
Don't know what point this is supposed to make...

Here if you test on a trike (or hack), you get a restriction limiting you to 3 wheels.
Test on anything under 151ccs will get you a class L, motor driven cycles up to 150ccs.
Seems fair to me.
As the way it should be.

Last edited by JBourquin; 05-20-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:05 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Ultra
My first Motorcycle endorsement was in Tn. I failed the written test by one question, never took the riding section and they gave me my license anyway. It helps to flirt with the girls.
Another location in Tn, I passed the written and then rode the bike around the building to pass the road test.
NC, just changed it from Tn to NC, no test. Renewal was written test only, no road test.
if you had your endorsement, why did you take the test again?

Old 05-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Cheech2010FLHTK
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They let some of you guys drive 10wheel campers and motor-homes without a darn cdl and it is a scarey site sometimes.

Seems fair to me.
Wish NY had the same regulations. The scooters are the only thing limited as to which roads they can be operated on.

NY has the MSF course. They use 250cc Kawasaki, Yamaha and Honda's. Yeah it cost 350.00 but it was worth every penny. Took it 8years ago Learned a few things I never knew riding dirt bikes and quads.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:25 PM
lofathd
Advanced
Default nj dmv

they have been doing it that way in jersey for at least 20 years that i know of, i would hardly say that they are giving away free licenses. i took my test on a scooter because i had no way to get a bike to the dmv because i was young and did not know any other person with a bike or a truck or a trailer and i did not want to ride to the dmv illegally. easier? yes . more convenient? hell yes. i still took the time to learn how to ride and to learn my bike inside and out and upside down.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:29 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 83 Posts

It is all about the revenue, you really think anyone cares if you can ride , or drive a car??
we get renewal notices in the mail..."send your money in "
No re-testing ,no vision test ..just about revenue..
so, a person can pass a test once, then renew forever..
Where is the "safety" in that ???
I had to stop my Dad from driving ..He couldnt hear , see very well , and had Parkinsons ..(He is gone now)
however ,the DMV sent him a renewal , and he was legal to be on the road ..
Best re-think your position about driving test's....

Old 05-20-2011, 06:42 PM
JBourquin
Road Master

Originally Posted by heybaylor
It is all about the revenue, you really think anyone cares if you can ride , or drive a car??
we get renewal notices in the mail..."send your money in "
No re-testing ,no vision test ..just about revenue..
so, a person can pass a test once, then renew forever..
Where is the "safety" in that ???
I had to stop my Dad from driving ..He couldnt hear , see very well , and had Parkinsons ..(He is gone now)
however ,the DMV sent him a renewal , and he was legal to be on the road ..
Best re-think your position about driving test's....
Why would I do that, you just proved my point...

Quick Reply: Eliminating Road Test