General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Hotshoe install on a Road glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 03:00 PM
myzen
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS Hotshoe install on a Road glide

I recently purchased a Garmin Quest GPS system and decided to go the "hotshoe" route of mounting it. I did the install this morning. It took a total of about 50 minutes. The most difficult part was putting the fairing back on. I now have to wait for the motorcycle kit from Garmin that I forgot to order. Should be here Tuesday.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:19 AM
whitben
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GPS Hotshoe install on a Road glide

I put the same mount on my fairing. I rode about 300 miles with the unit mounted before a disaster. My wife and I were riding about 40 mph when I felt something hit my leg. I looked at the dash and my unit was GONE!!!!!! I pulled off to the side of the road, as did my wife. She said to me "what the *&^) was that?!?!" I said "GPS." We got off the bikes and started walking back to where it was and saw it in the middle of the road. The first 3 cars missed it, but the fourth one hit it dead on. It ended up being just the mount and found the unit on the side of the road. The unit had broken its antenna, so i sent it to Garmin and they sent me a new unit, and even transferred all of my data, as well as sent me a new mount. The mount in the dash was still there, but missing one of the plastic pins, so I put in the slip in mount with 600 POUND EPOXY. Now if I remove the unit from the bike, i take it out of the slip in mount. I think the Harley dash mount is not good, so keep an eye on it.
Also, next time you put on your fairing, unclip the headlights from the fairing at the adjustment, I just let the headlights sit on a towel on the fender, and then you can see the hook and the slot to hook it back up. Just don't forget to plug in your head light, like I did once! I saw it in one of the posts on this forum. These guys here know ALOT!
Good Luck

2005 ROAD GLIDE
Only mod so far, Push To Talk Garage Door Remote, Its cool, impress your friends!
Then they'll ask you help them do it to their Road Glide,too!
Cruise Control Rocks!
But it doesnt work over 87 mph[:@]
Ride Safe, Ride Nice

Old 10-29-2006, 01:05 PM
myzen
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GPS Hotshoe install on a Road glide

Thanks for the advice, I will be riding to Galveston on Wednesday, hopefully the GPS unit will be with me the whole trip.

P.S. welcome to the forum.

Mike