General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

While we were riding the other day a truck hit my friend and killed him.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 02:24 PM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thoughts and prayers to you and the family of your friend.

I have been there about 20 years ago my best friend and I were riding when a cage turned in front of us. I t-boned and my friend swerved to miss but caught the bumper. I came out with road rash and a broken wrist and my friend died at the scene. Parked my bike for several months but eventually went back to it.

It is your decision and no one can fault you if you do walk away. If they try, they are a POS.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:25 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry for your loss and my prayers
go out to you and your familys

Old 05-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry for your loss! I respect your decision!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:30 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seen it before. Your not riding or riding is a personal choice. Not what I would do but I am myself and you are you.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:35 PM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only you can decide in this type of situation what is right for you.

Condolences to his family and to you. Have lost several close friends, it's tough.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Piston71
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your friend. One thought that came to mind by looking at the photo's of that intersection, looks like that road carries some decent speed. Would a headon/side impact with 2 cars had a different outcome? Im not trying to take anything away from the situation here, I can't say that I know what your going through... It just might not be the best time to make that decision.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

String that hypocritical SOB up by his *******. This story really pisses me off.

Sorry for you loss. Damnit.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:39 PM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Condolences. I hope that guy gets sent back in jail for DWI and never gets a bond either because of his previous enforcement..

Old 05-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bparsel
Sorry for the loss of your friend. Your decision is yours and should be respected, anybody that bashes you for that is a p.o.s. in their own right.
I have to agree with you. I can't say what my mindset would be if I saw something like that and cannot make any comment against someone who decides that they're deciding to give it up.

From the article:

Attorney Ralph Wilson noted Hardee's age, his numerous years of service in law enforcement and military, in addition to his local family ties as reasons his client should be eligible for bond. Since he had numerous years of service in law enforcement, shouldn't this asshat know that DUI is freaking illegal?

Judge Blake Martin cited Hardee's clean criminal record and residency in North Myrtle Beach as reasoning to issue a $20,000 bond. Judge Martin added that Hardee's history in law enforcement had no play in issuing the bond. Yeah, right. I got some beach front property in Iowa I'll sell him cheap.

According to North Myrtle Beach spokesperson Patrick Dowling, Hardee was released from jail today on the $20,000 bond.

Dowling also confirmed that 62-year-old Larry Hardee is charged with felony DUI after allegedly crashing into a motorcyclist; however, his BAC (Blood Alcohol Concentration) at the time of the crash is currently unknown because of Hardee's refusal to take the breathalyzer test. Hardee's blood was taken at a local hospital and was sent off for testing.
I guess his numerous years of service in law enforcement gave him a leg up on how to try and beat the system.

Please stay on the watch and every chance you and any friend gets to be around the court when he goes in, make as much noise as you can about how he's getting preferential treatment. Don't let it rest until this asshat is in jail and living with the general population of which I hope 20% are bikers and some of which he might have arrested during his numerous years of service in law enforcement.

Last edited by Unome; 05-19-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

My prayers for all families and friends involved. I'm sorry you lost your friend to a bad decision by another person, but honestly it wasn't necessarily the bike that contributed to his passing. What if you and he happened to have a love for classic muscle cars? You know, no air bags, no seat belt requirements because most were made before they were added to cars in the first place. He could still have died. Would you stop driving?

We could make scenarios all day. There is no telling when some idiot is going to do something that will affect the lives of you and your family. You can't live your life letting others dictate your behaviour. I'm sorry, I don't mean to come off sounding preachy, but I see these posts all the time and I just don't get it. All of life is risk, but if you don't take risks, you're not living life. Your friend chose to ride, and presumably his family supported that decision. Hopefully he planned ahead and purchased term life insurance and had a will already in place. I know I have, so has my wife.

Again, my prayers go out to his family and yours.

Quick Reply: While we were riding the other day a truck hit my friend and killed him.