General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Painting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 AM
pickwithaustin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Painting?

I work with a charity foundation that was set up in memory of my son. We recently commissioned an artist (the great Daneen Bronson - also very well known for her motorcycle work) to custom paint a guitar in my son's memory: http://pickwithaustin.com/daneen1.htm

I am now getting ready to have a helmet painted with a similar theme. This would be more for show and not so much "daily wear," but it got me curious to see other people's helmets and also to hear if anyone has any comments or tips relating to the whole custom painted concept. I have already picked out an artist who does this type of work and I will be going out tomorrow to look for a helmet to purchase and send to them... Eventually, I intend to carry the theme over, more subtle though, to my entire Softail itself.

If you have a custom painted or unique graphic oriented helmet, please share..! We have not fully worked out the design details yet and so I'm also looking to benchmark some ideas.

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:10 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I used to paint all my helmets flat black. Now, the helmet manufacturers tell you not to paint them.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Chas44DD
1st Gear

Had my Bell painted Hot Rod Black no problem!

Old 05-19-2011, 11:28 AM
pickwithaustin
Intermediate

I purchased a half helmet for this today - got a flat black as the guy in the store said his friend used to do airbrush work and had told him that the gloss black helmets required primer first... so this avoids that extra step. At any rate, got it for a good deal brand new at the motorcycle shop, complete with a box for shipping to the airbrush artist. Now I have to think about the theme.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:34 AM
pickwithaustin
Intermediate

I'm surprised nobody's had a helmet custom painted here. I will be shipping mine off this week for airbrushing and will have it back in a few weeks and will share the experience and some photos. Then the bigger step is the actual bike (tank and fenders)! ...one thing at a time though.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:49 AM
primostoy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pickwithaustin
I'm surprised nobody's had a helmet custom painted here. I will be shipping mine off this week for airbrushing and will have it back in a few weeks and will share the experience and some photos. Then the bigger step is the actual bike (tank and fenders)! ...one thing at a time though.
My helmet is custom painted, just haven't taken a pic of it yet, I'll get one today and post it...

Old 05-21-2011, 07:17 AM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice site. I do like the custom guitars. I have done some helmets in the past. No pics. I think you are doing a great thing.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:35 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

That Paint is some great work. look-in good.

I sprayed mine flat black and roughed it up to look crappy. it keeps other from wanting it when I park and leave it on the bike.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:42 AM
primostoy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by primostoy
My helmet is custom painted, just haven't taken a pic of it yet, I'll get one today and post it...
Here are some pics...

Attached Thumbnails Helmet Painting?-helmet-002.jpg   Helmet Painting?-helmet-001.jpg  
Old 05-21-2011, 07:44 AM
IDSTC
Cruiser

I think you have a great way to honor your son. I liked the guitar also.

I have found that there is a lot of information on this site on just about any topic, but the small group of people who might have input on any one topic may not be active during that time period, or they may concentrate their activity on specific subforums.

My favorite way to get info here is to search with google like this:

site:hdforums.com paint helmet

You get a lot of threads that are not current, but still get good info.

Not trying to be critical, just thought I would mention it as I saw some threads on this topic scattered across the various subforums when I was looking myself a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Helmet Painting?