General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more HD Dealer sales on eBay or Amazon!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:44 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We see threads about HD dealers closing here in the states often.
Are they hurting elsewhere and closing? Seems to me MOCO is listening to their overseas dealers claiming they are losing too much to stateside dealers.

I'm guessing the dealers are paying more and passing that cost on.
Of course hearing "bite my weenie, I can get that part from the yanks at a half the price!" can't go over well with them either...

Old 06-21-2011, 02:55 PM
tbwrench
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no more discounts on harley parts for aftermarket shops

Got told today, July 1st HD corporate is making the shops sell full retail and no discounts to aftermarket cycle shops. We can't even buy more than 1 full oil change worth of oils/filter. Even at full retail. What if I have 4 bikes??

Harley is cutting their own throat and hurting the dealers that were aftermarket /independent shop friendly. I used to buy a lot of Harley parts, now I will get anything but. I think they will cash in for a year oo so and then the aftermarket companies will fill the gap to give the demand the parts it needs that were avail from HD before.

WHat a way to SCREW the people that have built harley up since 1982-1984. Next thing you know they will be made in China. At least then, we will be able to get all the knock off parts we need.

Thanks for nothing Harley.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:03 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

My indy lost his sources for most HD supplies. Can still by a single part from them but no multiple items. Personally, I think this will just push the independent dealers to use more drag specialities/vtwin etc. parts and accessories.
I can see a desire to gain control over the distribution channels, but not at the expense of losing sales. Don't make sense in my book for a struggling manufacturer to do such.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:10 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tbwrench
Got told today, July 1st HD corporate is making the shops sell full retail and no discounts to aftermarket cycle shops. We can't even buy more than 1 full oil change worth of oils/filter. Even at full retail. What if I have 4 bikes??

Harley is cutting their own throat and hurting the dealers that were aftermarket /independent shop friendly. I used to buy a lot of Harley parts, now I will get anything but. I think they will cash in for a year oo so and then the aftermarket companies will fill the gap to give the demand the parts it needs that were avail from HD before.

WHat a way to SCREW the people that have built harley up since 1982-1984. Next thing you know they will be made in China. At least then, we will be able to get all the knock off parts we need.

Thanks for nothing Harley.
you'd think they would realize that's gonna hurt things more than it helps

Old 06-21-2011, 03:31 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

They're not worried about the customers (not that THIS is news!), but they're trying to protect the distribution channels. Many, MANY manufacturers have restrictions on dealers selling via discount outlets, especially those that are trying not to be commodities. Eve mid-range makers restrict internet advertising of prices. "Add this item to your cart to see the price" sound familiar?

It's all about making sure that the people who pay for "license" to sell their products are protected.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:53 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
you'd think they would realize that's gonna hurt things more than it helps
How many idies work on Vics and how many placed can you get OEM Vic parts?

Old 06-21-2011, 06:10 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I hate to see them loose an avenue for income, but as someone that buys most of the **** for his bike on ebay.......I will welcome not having to wade through pages of dealer parts at close to retail while I'm trying to find a used part.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:06 PM
captainron62
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
It won't be long until they move manufacturing to Mexico....if they are worried about internet sales that means they are up against the wall financially....nothing left to do but offshore manufacturing.

I think Harley will shrink to 1/3 their size. Lots of people are really turned off by all of the quality problems and from what I hear the unions workers are not happy there.

But any company that tries to control their pricing structure by restraint of trade usually goes down the tubes.

I once worked for a big company that too that approach..I left because of it..20 years later their sales are 31% of what they were when I left

Thats not what it means at all. The reason for the change is dealers are complaining that they are losing their local walk in traffic due to internet shopping from "discount dealers." Harley concurs with this because lets face it, they are primarily aside from what it may sometimes seem a motorcycle sales company. They want you to walk into a dealership and be wowed and buy more than you anticipated. Harley, the MOCO isnt necessarily losing money to internet dealers, because the product is already purchased from them wholesale, it doesnt matter in dollars and cents how it is retailed. But, they could in theory be losing dollars if guys quit walking into brick and mortar stores. Nevetheless, this is driven by non internet savvy dealers complaining about the disounters ruining their local business.

Not saying I agree or disagree, just stating the way it came about.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:11 PM
captainron62
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopperBill
Can't remember the last time I bought an OEM HD part. Got tired of the HD dealers when they made shirts and pants their priority instead of hard parts.

When you own a Harley dealership, the MOCO tell you how much of your store will be dedicated to motorclothes, or shirts and pants as you put it. Trust me lots of dealers long for the days they didnt have to have a quarter mill tied up t shirts and pants and staff a department to maintain and sell them.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:39 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopperBill
Can't remember the last time I bought an OEM HD part. Got tired of the HD dealers when they made shirts and pants their priority instead of hard parts.
Ain't that the sad truth past decade or more.

Quick Reply: No more HD Dealer sales on eBay or Amazon!