General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more HD Dealer sales on eBay or Amazon!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:40 PM
SCFLHX
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eliminating more of the smaller dealers with lower profits trying to survive? I don't understand why they would want to cut sales of any type. There is more to this story.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Snowcat58
Road Warrior

Here in the UK there's supposed to be a law against restrictive trade practise, the idea being to allow free competition. In action I'm sure various manufacturers have 'unwritten rules' that are vigorously applied (unseen) to their retail networks; they certainly wouldn't own up to such though!

Old 05-19-2011, 04:46 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

F**Kem I don't need to buy there ****. I gotta drive 45 miles pay full pop for china Crap. I'll buy less. Most of my on line buying was impulse any ways. HD wan'ts to dicktate were and to what dealer I spend my money. I think not.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:53 PM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,170 Likes on 1,268 Posts

Can't remember the last time I bought an OEM HD part. Got tired of the HD dealers when they made shirts and pants their priority instead of hard parts.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 PM
k&j eglide
Tourer

If you were one of the dealerships strong armed by H-D corporate to relocate closer to the freeway, build a new multi-million dollar building and dedicate 75% of floor space to something other than motorcycles you would probably NOT want to sell anything at a discount. Unfortunately, the aftermarket parts dealers seem to generally raise their prices to match Harley. Several of the aftermarket companies won't even sell retail to the public. I can't think of another company that does a better job of trying to match supply with demand and eliminate discounting in the process than Harley.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Daddy-O
Tourer

Originally Posted by k&j eglide
I can't think of another company that does a better job of trying to match supply with demand and eliminate discounting in the process than Harley.
Apple.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,823 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Build a better moustrap, and the mouse gets smarter. I suspect that the "restraint of trade" folks will have their way in the courts and may actually stop HD.

I remeber HD trying to stop HD Dealers from selling Hondas. Didn't work either.

Regardless, you can be certain that a whole bunch of little companies will appear, selling HD product, bought from an HD dealer, but sold by these little new "independent" companies.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:43 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwback
K&J eglide.......the op stated that eBay sales were to be stopped. Surley the internet sales from the dealer's web site won't be affected. That would really suck for those of us who do not have a dealership close by.( The closest one to me is 100 miles away) As for the 20% discount you're looking for, try Zanotti's, if you haven't already. The items I've ordered were at least 20% off list plus I saved a 200 mile round trip and sales tax by ordering online.
Not to go off topic but that Steven Earl Gaines was one hell of a guitar player and singer..

Old 05-19-2011, 07:46 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

This ruling is also going world wide. No USA dealer will be able to ship overseas. My Australian friend will now pay up to 50% more. Here's the email he posted:

** INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS **

Effective August 1, 2011, Harley-Davidson® has implemented a new policy where
all U.S. dealers no longer can ship orders to an address outside of the United
States. (APO/FPO addresses are excluded.) Please make plans now to place
new orders before this date. We welcome you to visit our dealership in Milwaukee,
Wisconsin, home of Harley-Davidson® and the Harley-Davidson Museum. As a
reminder, your international shipment cost does not include your government's
Customs duty fees and taxes. These are collected by your Country on delivery
of your order. It is not a payment to us, in any way. We are not able to
declare a lower value or a "gift" for your order to avoid these taxes.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:21 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Meaningless. Very easy to sell on EBay without identifying that it is a dealership. Very hard if not impossible to enforce. It is easy to get around any rule made. This country is full of rule benders.

Last edited by lh4x4; 05-19-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: No more HD Dealer sales on eBay or Amazon!