Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer alert system ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:46 AM
rmw
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know a guy who put deer alerts on all his cars after his wife hit one. They hit three more deers in two years after they put them on. Totally useless.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:01 AM
pedallingfool
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NO proof has ever been offered that they work. save your money for another round

Old 05-19-2011, 05:08 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 385 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by joefriday
Anyone used this or know of it. http://www.bikerhiway.com/xp3-hornet...les-p-376.html Thinkin about it for Sturgis trip.

Joe
be careful not to install it backwards....

i did...

I had a herd of deer chasing me for twenty miles!

Old 05-19-2011, 06:48 AM
dothedoo
Tourer

I missed a deer the other day, in the middle of the afternoon, by just a few inches. It was at full speed and almost at the shoulder of the road when I saw it. I had just enough time to jam on the brakes and brace for impact. Still can't believe I didn't hit it.

Ordered the whistles right away when I got home....lol.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:07 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by weezer_nd
i cant believe a company is still selling them. the whole deer siren thing was proven useless a long time ago.
Agree totally. I read a article where they put deer avoidance stuff on a fleet of line trucks or something like that and there was zero decrease in the number of deer related accidents.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:30 AM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you see one crossing in the distance, slow down or stop since there's a good chance others are following and getting ready to cross as well.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
I hit a deer once while driving my truck, the deer came out of the ditch on my left running full flight, a couple long strides across the road, tried to get in front of me but hit my front grill. From the time I saw him till the time he hit me I only had time to move my foot from the gas to the brake. Didn't even start to slow the vehicle.

So my point is, it wouldn't matter what kind of beeper thingy I had, even if I had one. That deer was spooked and would have been hit regardless.

Best thing to do is slow down at dusk and follow a car or truck. That's what I do.

I have had deer jump from the woods directly into the side of my cage on three different occassions in 20 years. I also have a friend in Maine who had a deer jump out of the woods directly into his lap. He is now paralyzed from the waist down....Real good guy, and true rider. He went ahead and built himself a Trike conversion. They are beyond your control. As mentioned earlier stay alert and say a little before ride prayer.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:30 AM
rgbch3b
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

total scam IMHO much better to have a "gremlin " !

Old 05-19-2011, 08:36 AM
BigAlsRK
Road Master
Default Deer alert

Don't know what works...but I wish I had something on 16 Feb.

Attached Thumbnails Deer alert system ?-deer2-6-.jpg   Deer alert system ?-deer3-4-.jpg   Deer alert system ?-deer4.jpg   Deer alert system ?-deer5-5-.jpg  
Old 05-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Moby 560
Intermediate

No to whistles or noise makers. I think it's a bigger problem now in today's hard times than was in the past. Wife and I have spent a full week the last 4 years touring northern Wisconsin and northern Minnesota. Talk about deer country! What I've noticed is most states don't cut back the grass along the highway like they used to. You could see how far they used to cut as it was starting to really grow over back towards the tree line, and now just a 2 or 3 mower width being cut now. This just gives us less time to see deer in the close cut grass by the road. Best defense is to slow down a bit, put your head on a swivel, light up the road well with some good lighting, and be ready to take evasive action!

Quick Reply: Deer alert system ?