General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer alert system ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:01 PM
spoonie
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not a dusk/dawn thing! Deer mopve about / feed my the solunar table. I know they cannot read but the tables were developed by studying feeding cycles as they relate to lunar / solar cycles. The deer I hit was at 0430 (AM). Sunrise wasn't for almost 3 more hours! Nowhere near dawn. Moral of the story is: From sunset to well after sunrise, keep a passing lamp pointed to the roadside and hug the centerline to give yourself the most possible time. This I learned the hard way. The V-star Classic is no more...

Old 05-18-2011, 09:47 PM
stevev
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deer whistle

I got one because it made my wife feel safer thru utahs moutains Her aunt hit a deer on a Harley and crashed,got hurt but survived.I don't know if it works or not. It makes a high pitched noise that can be annoying if you zero in on it.But,I always turn it on in high deer population areas just in case it does work.But,as you know being alert is probably the best solution to deer collision avoidance."05" Road King

Old 05-18-2011, 10:08 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There have already been multiple scientific studies indicating that they are worthless in preventing deer collisions.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,475 Posts

The county I live in Michigan ranks near the top every year for car/deer accidents, over 2,000 a year, and those are just the reported ones. So believe me when I tell you, that deer will move any time of the day, especially during the rut. So best advice like others have said, Keep your eyes peeled at all times!!!!!!!!

Old 05-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Snake oil - very expensive snake oil.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:02 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I ran some tests of my own. Driving the truck I would hold the device out the window when approaching deer on the side of the road, or not and compare their behavior. There wasn't any difference with or without the deer whistle. Then I tried blasting the horn at various distances. That does work. They lift their heads and look, or at the very least will rotate an ear.

My conclusion, make a lot of noise. Sometimes if I feel vulnerable I'll blast the horn as I'm driving.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:59 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain
Talking

I have the wind powered deer whistles on my bike. I haven't hit a deer since I installed them. They obviously work on other wildlife as well, because I haven't hit any rhinocerouses yet either.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:25 AM
Ole T Sport
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OKay now, the deer gets blinded by oncoming headlights, right? Can't see anything, right? Now the only thing they can see is the area in front of the vehicle, are you still with me? So where do they go? Into the light. I have had the whistles on all my vehicles except for the 2 that hit venison. Then there was the time that I passed a moose grazing by the side of the road doing 80 with my T-Sport at 2AM. He never even blinked.

Always wondered if it worked on Kangaroos, I hear they have quite a problem down under. Maybe a guy could make a small fortune?

Last edited by Ole T Sport; 05-19-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:49 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Deer are not smart enough

We would catch them off guard while climbing hills with the train at 15 mph and wide open throttle. The only thing that would save them from certain death was for us to extinguish the headlights as soon as we saw them. Once the lights were out, only then would they get out of the way. So while their hearing is acute, it doesn't seem to make much difference how much noise you make.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:53 AM
davidmot
6th Gear

hit one myself at 5.30a.m. in the Scottish borders,was doing 60 at the time and it just appeared,no time to react,thank god for crash bars on my Road King.As someone says they are so quick i dont think anything would work

Quick Reply: Deer alert system ?