General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning Rubber Smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:34 PM
todayzrebl
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning Rubber Smell

Im new here, so I didnt know where to post this. Last week, while riding, I had a minor accident and laid the bike down. Everything seemed ok, so I rode it home. Upon arriving at home, I smelled a burnt rubber odor coming from the bottom of the bike around the clutch cover area. It went away after a few minutes. I rode the bike again a few days later, and no smell. I just came back from a short ride and once again I noticed the smell. Does anyone have any ideas on this issue, and should I take it to a dealer to have it looked at? I appreciate any response.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you check along the exhaust to see if any hoses were touching it?
The clutch cable runs behind the front exhaust header. Look for anything touching or for burnt damaged lines.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:59 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you noticed anything else different on the bike? It may sound strange, but the last time I had what I thought was a burning rubber smell was actually my stator starting to go. The smell would come and go, and I never could figure where it was coming from until a few weeks later when my voltmeter started doing funny things.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:05 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,166 Likes on 3,675 Posts

You need to switch to natural sheep intestine condoms, the burnt rubber smell will go away.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:24 PM
todayzrebl
1st Gear

Thanks for responding. I checked the cables and any wiring that even came close to the exhaust...and all of them appear to be where they are supposed to be at. I didnt find any areas of burnt rubber coating or burnt wiring. I cant find any type of leaks, ie, oil in the general area. There is no leakage on the garage floor. Im going to ride again tomorrow afternoon for a bit and see if it happens again. Im at a lose at the moment.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:29 PM
todayzrebl
1st Gear

No...I havent noticed anything different dbell since the accident. It seems to ride as it did before.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

look for marks along your belt trive area. You might have put your rear tire out of adjustment causing the belt to track to one side or it might be rubbing against the guard.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:37 AM
todayzrebl
1st Gear

Thanks hatchetman...Ill take a look at that tonight after work.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I had a burnt rubber smell on mine along with a slight whine after putting on a new tire and lowering my Softail a little. Turned out to be the liscence plate bracket rubbing on the rear tire. A big pair of water pump pliers fixed that.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:25 PM
todayzrebl
1st Gear

Someone related to me that when they had an accident, they got some grass and dirt in between the heat shield and the muffler and he was getting that burnt smell and after washing it out, the smell went away. Soooo, I loosened my heat shields and washed them out, didnt notice any debris on the ground, but after an hours ride, there was no smell. Its beyond me right now. I think its gremlins!

Quick Reply: Burning Rubber Smell