General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to waterproof my leather jacket

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011 | 05:33 PM
Kytann
|
Cruiser
Default How to waterproof my leather jacket

I'm asking. I've never done it before, and I've been caught in a few rainstorms where the jacket seems to soak up the water, not repel it.

It's a First Gear, not that that detail matters much, that I got used several years ago, so it's probably 10 years old now.

I'm picturing something like a $20 waterproof oil or something that I rub onto the leather?

Old 05-17-2011 | 05:37 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Most rain gear is sized to wear over jackets. It costs more than $20, but it is waterproof.

Even with some kind of silicone-based sealer or the like, I'd be worried about the seams.

But maybe someone here knows different/better.

Old 05-17-2011 | 05:41 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Old 05-17-2011 | 05:51 PM
Kytann
|
Cruiser

Yeah I own a rain suit. It's a pain in the *** to pack and bring with me and stop and put it on, then it stops raining 2 miles down the road, etc.

I'm asking about the million and a half different products that you rub on leather and they make it water resistant. (Resistant is a better description for what I'm looking for than proof anyway).

Right now my jacket feels soft and supple when it's dry, but seems to soak up water like a sponge when it gets wet.

I've got a set of Fox Creek Leather Overpants which are both soft, supple, and water beads up on the surface of the leather when it rains. I"m looking for something to make the leather on my jacket do the same thing.

Old 05-17-2011 | 06:16 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member

all the greasy ones work pretty much the same..the silicone ones don't seem to do anything...there is some stuff called nikwax that is suppose to be good...I use a rainsuit..if its cold out I put it over my leather stuff..

Old 05-17-2011 | 06:48 PM
funkfist
Intermediate

Look into mermac mink oil. It's natural and the best waterproofer for leather I have ever found. It will also put a light sheen on the leather and soften it up a little bit. Put it on your coat, chaps, boots and seat it does not matter. Only knock against it is that it darkens light leather. I bought a little container about the size of spreadable margarine a few years ago and it's still half way full.

Last edited by funkfist; 05-17-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2011 | 06:55 PM
eng23ine
Advanced

If you want to save some $$ and get really top quality leather care products try shopping at a horse tack supply store instead of the HD shop.....they KNOW leather!

Old 05-17-2011 | 06:56 PM
11bDad
Road Captain

Fox Creek recommends this:http://www.mtpitchblend.com/ournaturalproducts.html

I bought some at Brownells a little cheaper than through Fox Creek. Only caught in the rain a couple of times, but the jacket didn't leak. I applied the dressing, and warmed the seams and stitching with a hair dryer slightly to work it in.

Old 05-17-2011 | 07:03 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

I've used Doc Bailey's on my leather over pants, and it works well. Water just beads up.

https://www.leatherclear.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi

Now if they could invent waterproof zippers....

You could also try the boot cream from Cruiserworks boots, that is used to keep them totally waterproof.

http://www.cruiserworks.com/leathercream.php

Last edited by MNPGRider; 05-17-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-17-2011 | 07:07 PM
funkfist
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 11bDad
Fox Creek recommends this:http://www.mtpitchblend.com/ournaturalproducts.html

I bought some at Brownells a little cheaper than through Fox Creek. Only caught in the rain a couple of times, but the jacket didn't leak. I applied the dressing, and warmed the seams and stitching with a hair dryer slightly to work it in.
I tried some of that before. If you screw up and put too much in one spot it's a PITA to make it look right. IF you do get it to work right it's about on par with mermac. I prefer mermac for the ease of use.

Quick Reply: How to waterproof my leather jacket