General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Prep Charge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011 | 11:30 AM
FatSound
|
3rd Gear
Default Dealer Prep Charge?

What's the deal with the Dealer Prep Charge?

Local dealer charges $495.00. Is this about right......too much......negotiable?

Thanks.

Old 05-16-2011 | 11:36 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

Some dealers will negotiate, some will not. Depends on how much they're hurting for business. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2011 | 08:50 PM
FatSound
|
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by CWDoc115
Some dealers will negotiate, some will not. Depends on how much they're hurting for business. Good luck.
Thanks Doc. I'm afraid I thought about searching for this topic after I posted the new thread. Thanks for the reply and for being kind enough to not bash me for forgetting to search!!!

Much appreciated Sir.

Old 05-16-2011 | 08:52 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

I never paid any of that. But your number looks about what I have heard others paying.

Old 05-16-2011 | 09:04 PM
harleydavidone
Advanced

Some dealers charge others do not, just shop around for the best bottom line!

Old 05-17-2011 | 12:23 AM
SMF
Banned

Ive never payed the prep charge, the bike comes assembled minus the bars are not on the risers and it needs service im not paying 5 bills for them to add oil, and clamb the bars oh yea and get rid of the box

Old 05-17-2011 | 12:35 AM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member

I never pay prep charges or PDI(Pre-delivery Inspection). What the heck do they think? If I want to buy a bike, it better be in 'Drive off the lot condition'. If not, then how can they sell a vehicle when it's not in 'roadable' condition? When it leaves the factory, it should be in condition to take on the road.

Old 05-17-2011 | 12:50 AM
Piston71
Advanced

Here in town Rawhide HD tried that bs, they added about 1500 worth of extra's... origination fee, setup fee, title fee, prep fee, inspection fee and some other crap, I stopped looking at it after a while and walked out. Next day I went to Gails HD and bought my SG. A few days later I get a call from Rawhide asking if im ready to buy the bike yet... lol I laid it out for them. "I just signed the paper work with Gails, they didnt try to stick me with all the fee's". "Oh, we would have waived those for YOU if you asked." I told them I wasnt going to do business with someone that tries to charge out the A$$ for something then back off that price if someone gripes about it. No thanks!

If your happy with that dealer or there are no others, tell them you refuse to pay for the fluff. BTW Gails charged 99.00 for administration fee's (title work, loan work blah blah) and I was ok with that, but not 1500.00

Old 05-17-2011 | 06:21 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

That admin fee crap was started by the auto dealers looking for extra profit. They should pay for that out of their business expense. They tried the doc fees on me and I told them I'd do my own, just give me the paperwork. They fussed about it and finally took the doc fees and admin off. The prep fee includes final assembly and filling with fluids, plus a detail. It also should be part of their business expense but usually it is not.

Old 05-17-2011 | 06:36 AM
Challenger
Road Master

Originally Posted by Red N Gold
That admin fee crap was started by the auto dealers looking for extra profit. They should pay for that out of their business expense. They tried the doc fees on me and I told them I'd do my own, just give me the paperwork. They fussed about it and finally took the doc fees and admin off. The prep fee includes final assembly and filling with fluids, plus a detail. It also should be part of their business expense but usually it is not.
HA "part of business expense" Who do you think covers that cost?

I just get a kick out of people on here,,,What do you think? A dealership should just be a salesperson and a janitor? Should the sales mgr just work for free? Should a finance person just work for free trying to push a loan thru for you? Should the techs just work for free? Do YOU work for free??

I dont know what you do for a living,,, I fly airplanes,,,people dont come up to the front of the plane and say "i'm not paying for the cruise portion of this flight because the autopilot is on" "All youre doing is looking out the window"!!!!

Lets just get rid of dealerships! You can all drive to Milwaukee and pick up your bike in a shipping crate and take her home! Bring cash,,or your own loan..make sure you bring all the paperwork your state requires!

Last edited by Challenger; 05-17-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Dealer Prep Charge?