General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Prep Charge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011 | 04:18 AM
SMF
Banned

Originally Posted by challenger
ha "part of business expense" who do you think covers that cost?

I just get a kick out of people on here,,,what do you think? A dealership should just be a salesperson and a janitor? Should the sales mgr just work for free? Should a finance person just work for free trying to push a loan thru for you? Should the techs just work for free? Do you work for free??

I dont know what you do for a living,,, i fly airplanes,,,people dont come up to the front of the plane and say "i'm not paying for the cruise portion of this flight because the autopilot is on" "all youre doing is looking out the window"!!!!

Lets just get rid of dealerships! You can all drive to milwaukee and pick up your bike in a shipping crate and take her home! Bring cash,,or your own loan..make sure you bring all the paperwork your state requires!
hahahaha sounds like someone got boned by the stealership. Its all good buddy i used to fly all the time and for one know that if aircraft didnt have auto pilot you damn pilots couldn't do a damn thing on your own, let alone talk down a deal hahahahaha.

Old 05-19-2011 | 04:42 AM
rmw
Cruiser

I won't pay prep or freight on a bike sitting on a dealer's floor because that is part of the cost of them doing business. The idea that the dealers make these itty bitty margins on bikes is just that; a myth. Just like the myth that you won't find a dealer that will come off suggested retail.

I've only bought one new bike in my life, my current 2010 Ultra and I negotiated it just like I would a car and I paid the price I was willing to pay and it was a couple of thousand under sticker.

If you want an eye opener, pay the $20 bucks for a dealer cost report on the bike you are looking at. I did and it was interesting to say the least and it kept an extra grand in my pocket.

Last edited by rmw; 05-19-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-23-2011 | 09:03 AM
shamrock22
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rmw
I won't pay prep or freight on a bike sitting on a dealer's floor because that is part of the cost of them doing business. The idea that the dealers make these itty bitty margins on bikes is just that; a myth. Just like the myth that you won't find a dealer that will come off suggested retail.

I've only bought one new bike in my life, my current 2010 Ultra and I negotiated it just like I would a car and I paid the price I was willing to pay and it was a couple of thousand under sticker.

If you want an eye opener, pay the $20 bucks for a dealer cost report on the bike you are looking at. I did and it was interesting to say the least and it kept an extra grand in my pocket.

Why do you care about the individual line item charges? Isn't the OTD price that matters?

Old 05-23-2011 | 03:54 PM
MisterPX
Tourer

While most Japaese bikes come in a shipping crate (conex on a ship across the ocean), harley's come assembled strapped to a pallet. Any "prep" fee over the cost of oils and a filter, and a few bucks to unstrap teh bike and roll it off teh pallet is absurd. However, it seems most harley folks gladly pay. Maybe that's why the dealers continue to charge crazy prices.

Old 05-23-2011 | 03:59 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

Almost total rip off. Dealer no longer even has to open a crate. The bikes are now strapped to a pallet and they unstrap and roll off. $5 should cover that.

They can not charge it if you walk away. Dealers that have crazy fees and service charges need to have folks not buy there until they wake up or go under.