General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Prep Charge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011 | 12:03 PM
daleg3556
Cruiser

Here is how I look at it. Say you buy a new Road King for $20,000. They bought if from HD for say $18,000. That is $2000 to cover expenses and hopefully at the end of the day make a profit for the owner. I am more than happy for the owner to make a profit, I would rather pay one price and have it all built in than lots of nickle and diming.

Old 05-17-2011 | 12:18 PM
dylder
Tourer

I'd rather pay less for the bike and some added fees. They don't tax the fees. Still the otd plus tax is what to compare between dealers.

Old 05-17-2011 | 01:25 PM
Piston71
Advanced

Originally Posted by Challenger
HA "part of business expense" Who do you think covers that cost?

I just get a kick out of people on here,,,What do you think? A dealership should just be a salesperson and a janitor? Should the sales mgr just work for free? Should a finance person just work for free trying to push a loan thru for you? Should the techs just work for free? Do YOU work for free??

I dont know what you do for a living,,, I fly airplanes,,,people dont come up to the front of the plane and say "i'm not paying for the cruise portion of this flight because the autopilot is on" "All youre doing is looking out the window"!!!!

Lets just get rid of dealerships! You can all drive to Milwaukee and pick up your bike in a shipping crate and take her home! Bring cash,,or your own loan..make sure you bring all the paperwork your state requires!
I certainly don't work for free and neither do they! They make a profit off the bike sale and each dept' that has a part in that sale benifits from the profits... just like any other retail business. But, here's something that might be forgotten, how many "loyal" customers only buy the bike from that dealer and never return for the thousands and thousands that will be spent on accessories/merchandise? Ask any retail store, thats where the money is at... thats where the real profit begins.

Bottom line is the bottom line, one dealer wanted 1500 more than the other dealer. I bought from the cheaper and more reputable (although not as close to me) and have spent 3x that "extra fee" amount in accessories/merchandise/service.

Old 05-17-2011 | 04:15 PM
Stanley0910
Intermediate

I had a dealer here in Louisiana try to charge me their 695.00 service fee for an already way over priced used bike.

Old 05-17-2011 | 04:56 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member

They some dealers not all. Have a Prep,Doc you name it fee. I don't buy from them. But then again I lost 3 dealers in my area. Stamford Harley,Prestige and one of the oldest Harley Dealers Reggie Pink. So the competition is not there to cut a real good deal.

Old 05-17-2011 | 05:01 PM
Blackbobber
Cruiser

Chicagoland area is around $900 for fee's. I did not pay that and got some $ off the MSRP.

Old 05-17-2011 | 05:10 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by PnDegc
My opinion is the prep fee is a legitimate fee. The amount however is another issue. Bike comes in a box. Forktruck, uncrating, some assembly , etc. etc. If it takes two guys an hour @$50.00 a manhour then the "cost" to the dealer is $100.00 bucks. Add 50 or double it to $200.00 but after that I think it is a bit much.
I was at a dealer a couple of weeks ago getting some warranty work done when a shipment of bikes came in. The bikes came on a skid fully assembled, the only thing they had to do was put the windshield on the 3 touring models that came, and peel the plastic off. I left about an hour later, all 6 bikes were on the showroom floor.

Old 05-17-2011 | 06:03 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dbell66253
I was at a dealer a couple of weeks ago getting some warranty work done when a shipment of bikes came in. The bikes came on a skid fully assembled, the only thing they had to do was put the windshield on the 3 touring models that came, and peel the plastic off. I left about an hour later, all 6 bikes were on the showroom floor.
Just because they were on the showroom floor doesn't mean they were ready to ride out the door.

Old 05-19-2011 | 12:34 AM
N2VSW
Intermediate

I don't want to hijack the thread but since mr pilot had to interject his 2 cents on behalf of the dealers... I am a mechanic for an airline and all modern aircraft have dual autopilot systems. If one fails the opposite system is used. On the rare occasion when both systems are inop the pilots will refuse to take the aircraft, heaven forbid they actually have to fly the plane. Modern airliners all have CAT II autoland. Yep they will land themselves. Our 737 first officers make 190k a year, gues when you make that kind of money you can afford to pay the dealer prep.

Old 05-19-2011 | 02:22 AM
razorsedge
Cruiser

Originally Posted by N2VSW
I don't want to hijack the thread but since mr pilot had to interject his 2 cents on behalf of the dealers... I am a mechanic for an airline and all modern aircraft have dual autopilot systems. If one fails the opposite system is used. On the rare occasion when both systems are inop the pilots will refuse to take the aircraft, heaven forbid they actually have to fly the plane. Modern airliners all have CAT II autoland. Yep they will land themselves. Our 737 first officers make 190k a year, gues when you make that kind of money you can afford to pay the dealer prep.
I don't think your hijacking the thread, you make a relevant point and I agree with you. What I think people are forgetting is the fact that most dealers still sell their bikes at MSRP or more. Selling at MSRP has a built in profit . That does not include any incentives offered to dealers which comes in the form of using HD financing which the dealer will get at a minimum of 1/2% kickback or dealer holdback for meeting sales goals by meeting quotas.

Quick Reply: Dealer Prep Charge?