General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Prep Charge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011 | 06:42 AM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member

Dealer prep? It is called PDI and is valid. You pay for it one way or another.

Old 05-17-2011 | 06:45 AM
pedallingfool
Cruiser

The last time I was in service (5000 mi.) they told me the bikes are now coming in fully assembled (wrapped in the white plastic like they use on new cars). There washed and inspected that's about it. Might want to try and negotiate that, it's a buyers market right now and good luck.

Old 05-17-2011 | 06:54 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Everything Is Negotiable

Bottom Line is Bottom Line -
Add it up -
bike cost
destination
prep
taxes
accessories or anything else you call it
EVERYTHING -
Compare prices among competing dealers-
If the price tag is fair - pay it - if not - shop elsewhere!

Old 05-17-2011 | 06:58 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Supporter

My local dealer has never charged my set up or freight. But he'll never come down off of msrp unless its a leftover. Had to go to a out of town dealer for my present bike and that greedy sob had to have every stinkin penny he could get out of me. But he had it and I wanted it, so I paid!

Old 05-17-2011 | 07:00 AM
NOLAMike
Road Master

I used to do dealer prep at Kawi dealer when I was in high school back in the late 70s. They paid me to do it as they didn't want to pay a trained mechanic for it. Depending on which bike it was it took 60-90 minutes. If things haven't changed that much since then they paid someone about $10/hour for no more than 2 hours; then charge you $495. Pretty tidy profit.

Old 05-17-2011 | 07:10 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

I was able to negotiate on the prep charges on the last two bikes I bought.
Some dealers will and some wont.

Old 05-17-2011 | 07:12 AM
shamrock22
Intermediate

Back in December I shopped my bike pretty hard and ended up paying about 1k in fees. However that OTD price was 2k less then the OTD price of the next closest dealer who really liked pointing out that the dealer I was purchasing from was charging 1k in fees. At the end of the day I did not care how the line items of the deal were written only what was coming out of my pocket.

Old 05-17-2011 | 08:27 AM
PnDegc
Road Master

My opinion is the prep fee is a legitimate fee. The amount however is another issue. Bike comes in a box. Forktruck, uncrating, some assembly , etc. etc. If it takes two guys an hour @$50.00 a manhour then the "cost" to the dealer is $100.00 bucks. Add 50 or double it to $200.00 but after that I think it is a bit much.

Old 05-17-2011 | 08:44 AM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Challenger
HA "part of business expense" Who do you think covers that cost?

I just get a kick out of people on here,,,What do you think? A dealership should just be a salesperson and a janitor? Should the sales mgr just work for free? Should a finance person just work for free trying to push a loan thru for you? Should the techs just work for free? Do YOU work for free??

I dont know what you do for a living,,, I fly airplanes,,,people dont come up to the front of the plane and say "i'm not paying for the cruise portion of this flight because the autopilot is on" "All youre doing is looking out the window"!!!!

Lets just get rid of dealerships! You can all drive to Milwaukee and pick up your bike in a shipping crate and take her home! Bring cash,,or your own loan..make sure you bring all the paperwork your state requires!
Yeah how are they supposed to pay those people? Cause we all know that they are selling those bikes for what they pay for them. No profit there.

Old 05-17-2011 | 10:47 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Challenger
HA "part of business expense" Who do you think covers that cost?

I just get a kick out of people on here,,,What do you think? A dealership should just be a salesperson and a janitor? Should the sales mgr just work for free? Should a finance person just work for free trying to push a loan thru for you? Should the techs just work for free? Do YOU work for free??

I dont know what you do for a living,,, I fly airplanes,,,people dont come up to the front of the plane and say "i'm not paying for the cruise portion of this flight because the autopilot is on" "All youre doing is looking out the window"!!!!

Lets just get rid of dealerships! You can all drive to Milwaukee and pick up your bike in a shipping crate and take her home! Bring cash,,or your own loan..make sure you bring all the paperwork your state requires!
Give me a break. Of course its part of doing business. That stuff should be included in the price. They get commisions. It took me about an hour to close the deal on my bike. Dealer did not have to work very hard at all. I guess I need to start adding the fees when I prep my car or bike before selling it. I am glad to cleared it up about pilots just looking out the window though.

Quick Reply: Dealer Prep Charge?