General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

countersteering help

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:51 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
the irony is delicious.

Because he agrees with you no doubt.

Been riding 45 years and log 5 digits every riding season. I'll put my experience and skills toe to toe with yours any day.

And it hasn't escaped my attention that most of you have a lot higher post count than I do. Who is the internet king and who actually rides?

I'll wager Challenger has it right - you pretty much know it all. No one's going to tell you anything.
Next time you're out logging 5 digits and you come up on a sweeper, push the bar in the direction of the curve until you get the angle right, and hold it. As you're coming out of the curve, ease up on the bar and let it go upright. No arcs, tangents, or radii required, even in spiral or compound curves. Just adjust the pressure to suit your line. It'll make your life better, and you'll be countersteering.

Last edited by sm0kediver; 05-15-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: piss poor grammar
Old 05-15-2011, 07:54 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrK_U...eature=related

Last edited by BLKBAGGER; 05-15-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:59 PM
bravo3g
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a beginnner and find it crazy how many people think they know what countersteering is but have it all wrong. I learned it going through 2 MSF courses(BRC&BRC2). In BRC, it is taught asa technique used to avoid sudden obstacles in your path such as a car pulling out of a driveway. Pushing on the side of the handlebar that coincides with the direction you want to swerve, ensuring that you don't roll on the throttle through the swerve and straighten up.
I'm sure there are some other advanced techniques for countersteering but the information is out there even if you can't afford an MSF course.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:16 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,190 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by bravo3g
I am a beginnner and find it crazy how many people think they know what countersteering is but have it all wrong. I learned it going through 2 MSF courses(BRC&BRC2). In BRC, it is taught asa technique used to avoid sudden obstacles in your path such as a car pulling out of a driveway. Pushing on the side of the handlebar that coincides with the direction you want to swerve, ensuring that you don't roll on the throttle through the swerve and straighten up.
I'm sure there are some other advanced techniques for countersteering but the information is out there even if you can't afford an MSF course.
How do they have it wrong? They're arguing about the physics of how it works, I don't see you give your answer for it.

MSF teaches you to use it going into and through turns...not just evasive maneuvers. Remember "Press and roll"? They emphasize "press" much more when doing the evasive zig zag maneuvers.

As for the physics...the answer lies in the arc of your front wheel when you lean the bike over...think about the leading edge..vertical bike..straight line. Leaning bike..that leading edge of tire, when it contacts the pavement, will have an arc to it which will pull to that direction.

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 05-15-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:47 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,326 Likes on 1,452 Posts

I was about eight years old when I was riding no handed on my Schwinn 3 speed and I reached down and gently pressed the end of the handlebar with my left index finger expecting the bike to turn right, but it turned left instead. Then I rode faster and tried it with both hands on the handlebars and began a lifetime of aggressive riding. Riding bicycles hard and fast was good training for motorcycles since the same physical laws apply. But crashing sucks on either one.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:08 AM
gaber6
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody is quite explaining it correctly I think.
You countersteer to lean, which allows your lean to turn the bike. Ideally in a turn (leaning) your front tire will be driving forwards. (ecxept for slow speed maneuvers)
I've seen the youtube videos where it shows it's nearly impossible to turn without the bar input.
On a big touring bike, you are adjusting the countersteer a little more in a turn I've found compared to my 400lb sportbike I had. Then it was FLICK then lean.
Either way. Spend $200 and take a class or two and don't listen to us on the internet. You'll be surprised how well your bike actually handles.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:19 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sctrooper
Ok so I have read every page on countersteering on this forum and I am still confused about the concept. I definitely do not doubt it because I tried it last night...deliberately at least. When I tried it just a little bit I found that my bike turned REAL quick so what I need help with is how much pressure do you apply to the handlebars? Also do you need to apply pressure throughout the entire turn or do you just do it to initiate your turns. Kind of crazy I have been riding for a little while and nobody has ever mentioned the term countersteering. I am sure learing how to perfect will be an invaluable lesson so thanks in advance for your responses.
It's good that you're figuring this out. I ride with people that have no idea what it is. I know this because I asked them. Some people do it instinctively, others have no clue.

I did a demo to my wife one time when she was on the back to explain the principle to her. What I showed her was that there are two ways to turn a motorbike. One way, the beginner or thick sculled way, is to simply throw your weight in the direction you want to turn. If the road curves left you lean your body to the left and you'll go around the corner.
The correct way is to gently press on that left grip, or what I do is pull back on the right. This action puts the bike in a lean to the left and you turn.

People who refuse to learn this simple technique are a riding time bomb. They will one day ride off the road on a corner, have a head on with an oncoming vehicle or hit a guard rail on a decreasing radius corner.

Practice this and you'll get used to it.

In my younger years I did a lot of flat track and ice racing. Like someone said, it's countersteering to the extreme. For example imagine a wide open frozen lake, you're barrell assing across wide open top gear, pull back gently on the right grip the bike starts a big arcing turn to the left. The more you pull that right bar, the tighter the corner, you're back tire is drifting out at an angle to your right. Keep pulling that right bar until it hits the lock. There's no other feeling than going wide open, top gear, in the power band with the steering locked all the way to the right.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Counter steering is something every rider does wether they realize it or not, it's a thing you do instinctively when riding, it's just not something new that come up recently.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:51 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All riders that manage to make a curve above 15-20 mph in a steady arc are counter steering. If they weren't then they would miss a curve sooner than later. I only know of one person who could not counter steer and he sold his bike after three wild *** ditch trips. Push left handle, leans bike to the left and bike turns left. Push right handle bar, leans bike to the right and bike turn right. Interesting to read the different descriptions of mostly the same technique even though some have it totally wrong.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:42 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
Some people do it instinctively, others have no clue.
EVERYBODY does it. There is no way to ride a motorcycle and not do it.

One way, the beginner or thick sculled way, is to simply throw your weight in the direction you want to turn. If the road curves left you lean your body to the left and you'll go around the corner.
...If you countersteer at the same time, which you do.

No one turns a motorcycle by leaning their body. Studies done in the late 60's found the bike leans before the rider does, so it's not the rider leaning that is making the bike lean. That's when they figured out about countersteering and began explaining it to people.

People who refuse to learn this simple technique...
... do it without realizing they are doing it. They become better riders when they understand they are doing it, become conscious of how they are doing it, and learn how to use that knowledge in an emergency situation.

Quick Reply: countersteering help